Moral imperative

Printed from: GunBroker.com Message Forums
Topic URL: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=422412
Printed on: 09/21/2017

Topic:

Topic author: BaseJumper
Subject: Moral imperative
Posted on: 12/14/2009 10:48:30 PM
"The moral imperative is not making everyone buy insurance. The moral imperative is freedom."

C&P http://stossel.blogs.foxbusiness.com/2009/12/13/a-baby-with-an-uzi/

This weekend I was cheered to read about two entrepreneurs who made good points about Washington managing health care:

'It's a little bit like talking to a young prince," says Jonathan Bush, chairman and CEO of Athenahealth, a major player in information technology services for physicians, of his recent visits to Capitol Hill. "'So-tell me about this market thing that your people use,'" he says, mimicking the political royalty with a grin and extending his forearm. "'Wait: I must catch my falcon!'"

The IT executive profits off of Washington's central planning, so it's refreshing that when Joseph Rago interviewed him [2], he talked honestly about it: "I still have to keep going to Washington and sucking up," he says, switching metaphors. "Because the problem is when you have a baby with an Uzi, right, they might accidentally mow you down. But here's the thing . . . they're brilliant people. It's just that the idea of a market in health care never occurred to them."

Jim Prevor, CEO of Phoenix Media Network [3] wonders why, because it's health insurance, not collision insurance for your car, or theft insurance for your comic book collection, government must step in.

The push to insure everyone is... a decision to endorse a risk-averse society. There is little question that if every uninsured family in America were offered a cashier's check in the amount it will cost to provide that family with health insurance--checks that could easily be in excess of $15,000 each year--and simultaneously offered the chance to sign the checks over to purchase health insurance, many, many families would elect to take their chances and do something else with the money...

Perhaps these families would use the money to start a small business, send a child to college, go to night school, or save a child from a horrible inner-city public school system. Is there any basis for thinking that paying for health insurance is morally superior to helping a family in any of these ways?

Many in Congress believe that. If Americans did, we'd all have health insurance that we've already purchased with our own money. Democrats call their national health care insurance plan a moral imperative. But Prevor writes:

Obamacare ought to be defeated because it raises government above the family in deciding how resources are allocated and endorses a vision where the national priority is to protect against risk rather than to grow and explore.

The moral imperative is not making everyone buy insurance. The moral imperative is freedom.

GunBroker.com Message Forums : http://forums.gunbroker.com/

© 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Close Window