GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 General Discussion
 Firewood

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kidthatsirish Posted - 09/18/2012 : 11:31:31 PM
So...is everyone prepared for the comming winter? The home I rent is mainly heated by natural gas, however it does have a wood burning fireplace with wich I intend to supplement my winter heating costs.

I grew up in a home thats primary source of heat was a woodstove (much better in my opinion than a fire place), and I suppose that as long as there is wood around to burn, I will probably do it for the rest of my life if I can, after all...wood grows back, and much faster than coal or oil is naturaly made :).
34   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jim Rau Posted - 09/20/2012 : 09:56:10 AM
I went to a chainsaw rodeo in Pagosa Springs MANY years ago and I was in a restaurant/bar one evening and there a heated discussion about what was the 'best' firewood. Well an OLD gentleman stood up and said if one of you youngsters will buy me a beer I will tell you what the best firewood is. I bought him a beer and he said "The best fire wood in the world is that wood that is cut, split, stacked, and seasons in the wood shed behind the house when the snow gets here, and it don't matter what kind of tree it came from"!
woodshed87 Posted - 09/20/2012 : 07:59:27 AM
Just got Carried Away this Year it was there So ,,,,
Now it's Cut and here
Mostly Stacked and covered
34 Face Cords Hard Maple/ Cherry /Ash
Still About 3 ton of Coal in Basement
Just Happened to be A good Year,,,, Sure didnt Plan it
allen griggs Posted - 09/20/2012 : 06:20:44 AM
Osage Orange was also used by the Indians to make bows.

Here is a chart that shows how much heat you can get from different species of wood.

http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html

As you can see the oak and locust that I use are very good.
But look at that madrone, at 30 million BTU per cord that is the highest rated I ever saw. Wish we had some of that around here.
I never heard of madrone before.
allen griggs Posted - 09/20/2012 : 06:04:30 AM

I built this fireplace when I built the house. Got the rocks out of Bear Creek at the lower edge of my property. This fireplace is a good heater, because it is a Rumford style fireplace, and because it is entirely within the house. The back wall of the fireplace is the inside wall of the bathroom.

On a 35 degree night, if you run this fireplace for 5 hours, it will heat the house for the entire next day.

As good a heater as the fireplace is, this is what I use when it gets really cold.

I do burn a lot of wood. I have big stacks of red oak and locust.
Love to crank up that wood stove during a blizzard, I will run it for 5 or 6 consecutive days.

FWAddit Posted - 09/20/2012 : 12:50:35 AM
I've got 6 cords in the woodshed, dry and ready to burn this winter.

For the following winter I've been hauling up and stacking pole-timber logs from a trimming operation around one of our fields. Over the winter and into the spring, I will cut, split and stack that wood to dry till the next heating season. Besides that, oak wilt and Dutch elm disease provide standing dead trees which are pretty much dry enough to burn when cut. We have enough timber to heat several households, but I lack the ambition to cut wood to sell. Bird and deer hunting and bass, bluegill, and pike fishing get in the way.
FrancF Posted - 09/19/2012 : 8:58:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by grumpygy

If you can get some go for Madrone.

But make sure you split it green, once dry a maul just bounces off of it.

Yep my dad was trying to toughen up my very young hands one year with that one, till I got wise to it.
bpost Posted - 09/19/2012 : 7:00:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Rosie

How is wild cherry for burning? I have a lot of it and would love to see it gone.

It is good firewood makes a lot of hot coals and burns with little ash left.
dennisnielsen Posted - 09/19/2012 : 6:55:41 PM
quote:
Originally posted by grumpygy

Madrone

or

naked indian as we call it
we have some in pipe creek
it is a little rare and the tree seed has to pass thru a digestional track of a critter for the seed to grow

A few years ago they were trying to figure out how to make them grow
I was helping some local garden experts
I knew the coons had something to do with it but not exactly what
I had thought it was scat
I was wrong
the seeds shell needs the gastric juices to work

anyway ,they shed their skin/bark about 4 times a year
just beautiful
rare around here
Rosie Posted - 09/19/2012 : 6:46:34 PM
How is wild cherry for burning? I have a lot of it and would love to see it gone.
Jim Rau Posted - 09/19/2012 : 6:33:02 PM
Indirect solar energy!!!
I have only cut and split about 3 cord (128 cubic feet) this year but I have about 8 to 9 cord stored in the barn. Hickory, oak, maple, gum, and a little pine.
I put a wood stove in the basement (as I have in the last three homes I have built) and it does a very good job of supplementing my heat, not to mention the mess is in the basement!
Tailgunner1954 Posted - 09/19/2012 : 6:05:33 PM
I've got 20 cord (real cord, not those puny things you city boys call a cord) of "one year dry" Oak, Ash and Maple split and stacked. Hopefully I won't need more than my average of 10 this year, leaving me 10 of "2 year dry" for next year.

Cord = 4'x4'x8' pile with minimum air space.
Average cord of hardwood weighs about 5500lb (2 3/4 tons).
320090T Posted - 09/19/2012 : 5:49:21 PM
I had access to 80 acres of locust woods that had a storm go through and I cut like a crazy man until the owner sold it. I do have enough for five or so years. I will supplement my locust with ash and maple that is lying around.
grumpygy Posted - 09/19/2012 : 2:39:25 PM

Laeger Posted - 09/19/2012 : 2:24:07 PM
I've got a couple rick left from last year, I will use 10 rick on the average, but the last two years have been light so good for me
JustC Posted - 09/19/2012 : 12:41:17 PM
I have 3-4yrs worth split and stacked right now.
MaxOHMS Posted - 09/19/2012 : 10:41:59 AM
At the rate we need it here, I have several years worth!
dennisnielsen Posted - 09/19/2012 : 10:39:57 AM
We have some iron wood down here that will kill a bar and chain

don't know which one it is but I will never try my saw on them ever again

Ironwood is a common name for a large number of woods that have a reputation for hardness. Usage of the name may (or may not) include the tree that yields this wood. Some of the species involved are:
Acacia estrophiolata, Southern ironwood
Androstachys johnsonii, Lebombo ironwood
Carpinus caroliniana, American hornbeam
Casuarina equisetifolia, Common ironwood from Australia
Casuarinaceae (she-oaks) in general
Chionanthus foveolatus, Pock ironwood from South Africa
Choricarpia subargentea, Giant ironwood
Copaifera spp., Diesel Tree, Kerosene Tree, Kupa'y, Cabismo, or Copa˙va
Diospyros blancoi, Mabolo, Velvet Apple, or Kamagong native to the Philippines
Erythrophleum chlorostachys, Cooktown ironwood from Australia.
Eusideroxylon zwageri, Borneo ironwood
Guaiacum officinale, Lignum vitae
Guaiacum sanctum, Holywood
Holodiscus discolor, Ocean Spray or Creambrush
Hopea odorata, White thingan, Ceylon or Malabar ironwood
Krugiodendron ferreum, Black Ironwood
Lophira alata, Red ironwood
Lyonothamnus floribundus, Lyon tree
Mesua ferrea, Rose chestnut or Ceylon ironwood or Nahar
Nestegis apetala, Coastal maire, Broad-leaved maire or Ironwood
Olea spp., Various olive trees
Olneya tesota, Desert ironwood
Ostrya knowltonii, Knowlton's hophornbeam
Ostrya virginiana, Hophornbeam
Parrotia persica, Persian ironwood
Pemphis acidula, Maldivian ironwood
Tabebuia serratifolia, Yellow poui
Vepris lanceolata, The White ironwood tree of South Africa
Xanthostemon verdugonianus, Philippine Ironwood or Mangkono, endemic to the Philippines
asphalt cowboy Posted - 09/19/2012 : 10:29:12 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spartacus

buddy of mine burns something he calls "Hedge". Very hot fire.
anyone know about it? he just says "It's Hedge", like i'm supposed to know what he's talking about.....

tom

These are hedge.

and hedge apples

As redneckandy pointed out, they're Osage Orange. IIRC it's a type of thorny locust. Don't quote me on that though.
Horse Plains Drifter Posted - 09/19/2012 : 09:01:46 AM
Nope, not yet. Have about 2 cord left over from last year, but have only had time to get in about a cord yet this year. I need about 5 1/2 cords to be real safe.
Mobuck Posted - 09/19/2012 : 08:53:22 AM
I burn wood pellets and have over a ton left over from last year. I burned wood for 25 years until Grouch Attack decided she wasn't going to help cut or carry it to the furnace.
One of her friends cut wood here last year and I let him clean up a couple of huge dead red elm-that's premium burning wood right there. He was here yesterday and I tried to convince him to cut some dead maple for "fall wood" as we used to call it. Those days in the fall/spring when you just need heat for a short time to take the chill off. Maple burns well enough but doesn't last long(way better than cottonwood though) so it is just right for those times. I've got tons of the stuff that has died and would make a pile in short order but is in the flood area so needs to be cut and pulled out now. He didn't go for it so I guess the wood will rot standing right where it is. I'm not going to cut it, pull it out to the road, and then give it away.
jltrent Posted - 09/19/2012 : 06:14:13 AM
Almost ready. Just a few more sticks.
jimdeere Posted - 09/19/2012 : 05:56:27 AM
I think I am ready;
Viktor Posted - 09/19/2012 : 03:46:43 AM
I live in a duplex. Old windows and electric baseboard heat don't help our electric bill come wintertime.
oldemagics Posted - 09/19/2012 : 03:09:45 AM
dont have a stove here unfortunately, but always lved locust
burns real hot with minimal ash, lighter stuff makes great rot resistant fence posts and smaller peices i use for tool handles

set some posts in swampy ground at my dads when i was in 2nd grade, when my kid was 18 he still couldnt break one off they were still almost completely intact!
MudderChuck Posted - 09/19/2012 : 01:54:44 AM
I've got about 5-6 cubic yards of Beech piled next to a fire road in the woods, ready to be cut to oven length and split for next winter. I've got this winters wood dried, cut and split.

I like Beech, burns relatively clean, it doesn't burn as long as Oak, but slower than Pine. Beech is easy to split, my favorite kind of firewood. We have a lot of Beech around here.

I leave my wood in 15-20 foot lengths in the woods, the bigger the better, which helps reduce thievery, Then cut it, split it, transport it and store it at home.

Ash is about my favorite firewood, it burns down to almost nothing, burns clean and burns a long time
Spartacus Posted - 09/19/2012 : 12:46:13 AM
quote:
Ima cuttin!

time for bed, I'm seeing stuff upside down......

tom
GuvamintCheese Posted - 09/19/2012 : 12:42:52 AM
Ima cuttin!

redneckandy Posted - 09/19/2012 : 12:15:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spartacus

anyone know about it? he just says "It's Hedge", like i'm supposed to know what he's talking about.....

tom

Also known as Osage Orange. When seasoned it is harder than steel. Makes very fine fence posts also.
Spartacus Posted - 09/18/2012 : 11:59:03 PM

tom
bigcitybill Posted - 09/18/2012 : 11:53:17 PM
Don't see too many people with wood-burners in Texas. When I lived in Indiana I knew a few people who used wood stoves to heat garages and such. Best firewood came from native oak trees.

FrancF Posted - 09/18/2012 : 11:53:09 PM
Had my place over insulated 1X when it was built. My fireplace will keep this place cozy if not run you out of the house. Its not huge, it has a recirc. fan that helps. Got the standard 2 cords for the winter here 1/2 oak 1/2 madrone.
dennisnielsen Posted - 09/18/2012 : 11:49:31 PM
BTW glutten/surplus of wood here

last year's drought killed many trees
dennisnielsen Posted - 09/18/2012 : 11:48:07 PM
Even down in Texas I have a woodstock soapstone wood stove with a cataylitic converter for a complete/efficient burn

been splitting wood since the weather is cooler in the AM here
although it will be some time beore we need it

I plan to be cutting in the AM as I am thru splitting what I had cut

still using a wood maul and sledge
talked about renting a hydralic splitter
but I figure I need the work out
and fuel to get there and the price of a rental defeates my savings

maybe I am just cheap

I hate the electricity company's big bills
and you just cant beat good wood heat

we never get drainage to our lungs anymore
if it gets too dry we just put a pan of water atop

14 degrees out and we are inside wearing underwear with no socks

my wife cooks on it saving electric

cant beat the smell of a pot of deer chili

only thing is
the cat converter reburns so clean
it stinks outside if you are downwind
but it uses less wood

I love it

1980's Sthil 028
&
2007 Sthil 441 magnum
ruger41 Posted - 09/18/2012 : 11:44:55 PM
Will be ordering a cord of Tamarack in about 3 weeks. Had elm last year..burned hot but too much ash.

GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page