Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines Message Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums Message Forums
 Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting
 Big Bore Finished

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* Forum Code is ON
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brookwood Posted - 02/12/2018 : 12:05:47 PM
I've been working on a Germanic hunting rifle since early fall and am just putting on the last coats of stock sealer.

This one is a 60 caliber, having a 31" swamped barrel. Lock is a Dale Johnson sold through Chambers and the wood is ash.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
He Dog Posted - 02/15/2018 : 12:35:11 AM
I cheated and used a modern heat gun for this instead of a bed of hot coals.

OK, now you have wear your coon skin cap tail front for a month. You ain't supposed to tell them mountain man secrets.

Looks Great! When to you want to start on my Hawken?
forgemonkey Posted - 02/14/2018 : 5:32:47 PM

Excellent !!!!! Always admire true craftsmanship,,,,,,,,,
Brookwood Posted - 02/14/2018 : 05:34:02 AM
Thanks iceracerx, just before my old saw-bones family doctor retired, he gave me a gift that will most likely last me the rest of my days.
A set of scalpels with a case of several styles of blades.

The very sharp and very fine cuts in the hardest of woods allow me to do some pretty intricate inlays. I had to make my own very narrow chisels to do the digging in.

All the grain and striping on this stock are natural in the wood. Ash can vary from plain to extremely curly as this piece shows. It is a shame that the dreadful Emerald Ash Bore has just about wiped out this great hardwood species all across our country!
iceracerx Posted - 02/13/2018 : 12:34:54 PM
Did you 'rope wrap' that stock or is that all natural 'figure'?

PS - that is some real nice inlaying!
Brookwood Posted - 02/13/2018 : 04:48:39 AM
This is a rifle that I built out of a nicely figured plank of curly ash.
Basically, I consider myself more of a "gun stocker" than a gunsmith or gun builder. I buy good quality parts, barrels, locks, butt plates, and trigger guards and usually make the rest out of sheet brass or iron.

In final finishing of this rifle, I used for the first time a homemade acid stain that has been historically documented called aqua fortis.
It is carefully applied to the stock and left to dry overnight. Then activated by heat to set the color. I cheated and used a modern heat gun for this instead of a bed of hot coals.

The acid made my stock a bit darker than I would have liked but it has kind of grown on me as I continue to keep adding layers of teak oil and rubbing it into the wood and sealing up all the pores.

I really enjoy this hobby and do it all to shoot. I hunt Michigan white tails during our season exclusively with a flintlock.
Also try and get out to my back yard range at least once a week and put a lot of lead patched round balls through various targets.

Thanks to all for your interest!

hillbille Posted - 02/12/2018 : 4:05:17 PM
gonna be a looker or a shooter?
Chief Shaway Posted - 02/12/2018 : 3:24:07 PM
Very Nice!
iceracerx Posted - 02/12/2018 : 12:57:26 PM

What all have you done to it? Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page