GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Mauser ID help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
JIM STARK Posted - 12/11/2004 : 06:31:48 AM
I'm trying to ID a Mauser..
On the top of the receiver: FABRICA DE ARMAS... OVIEDO... 1914..
On the side of the receiver: G9181.. L (in a circle)
On the bottom of the receiver: T over an 8..
On the barrel: G 9181.. 1.... A.... X (inside a circle) 7MM..
On the cocking piece: 767..
It looks like a small ring, something similar to a Swede 96??
I'd like to knoew the country of origin and the caliber..7MM What???

Thanks in advance..

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandwarrior Posted - 12/14/2004 : 03:58:58 AM
Not sure if this would be a pertinent point to make here but check to see if it has not been "remanned" to 7.62 mm (.308 Win.) Otherwise, like NONONSENSE said it is probably a 7mm Mauser and with the information given he has a pretty good line on what year and type.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
nononsense Posted - 12/11/2004 : 09:06:36 AM
The Oviedo Model 1893 was made from 1896 to sometime between 1928 and 1941 depending on which source you care to believe. Distinguishing characteristics of the Oviedo Model 1893 are:

1) Oviedo logo consisting of crown, "Fabrica de Armas Oviedo" and the year of manufacture on the top of the reciever.
2) Most have 29" barrels. A handfull of examples with 22" barrels that appear to be original have been discovered.
3) Folding leaf, a.k.a. "flip up ladder" rear sights.
4) No thumb cutout on the left side of the receiver rail to facilitate cartridge charging.
5) Gas escape holes in the left side of the receiver itself appear sometime between 1917 and 1922. I don't have any more specfic information than that yet.
6) The bolts have a flat surface on the bottom of the face, which was supposed to provide more reliable feeding.
7) Original bolts have straight handles

Years of Production/Serial Numbers:

1) The "regular" series: The earliest observed Oviedo Model 1893 has an 1896 date, and a three-number serial. From that point on, the serial numbers follow a regular pattern of a letter followed by four numbers. After they reached "Z" in about 1912, the series apparently continued with the number "2" preceding a letter, then four numbers. My estimate is that about 500,000 of these were produced, based on the ones I have recorded. There are serial numbers that do not fit the pattern. The graph shown below is the "regular" series.
2) The "plain serial number" series: These do not have a letter in the serial number, and I have recorded three of these. There does not seem to be any pattern to the numbers. One of them made in 1922 has a serial number of 74XX, while another made in 1917 has the number 80XX. My estimate as of today is that about 40,000 of these were produced.
3) The "RE" series: These have a plain four digit number or alphanumeric combination (e.g. A1234) preceded by "RE". The ones I have seen so far have dates from 1928 to 1933. The latest information that I have received (from Javier Sanchez) indicates that "RE" means "recompuesto entubado", or "refurbished entubed", which would mean that the rifle had a barrel sleeve inserted when it was refinished. They must have been old rifles that were reserialed and recrested when they were refurbished. My guess is that production of regular Model 1893's at Oviedo ceased in 1928, and old rifles were refurbished from then on. My estimate as of today is that about 18750 of these were produced/refurbished.

** For chart and photographs:

http://www.geocities.com/fritz125541/Oviedo93

lead Posted - 12/11/2004 : 07:44:08 AM
Oveida is the Spanish arsenal, most of them were 7x57mm, which is the 7mm mauser. A good gunsmith could check it for you and confirm that.

Is it true that cannibals won't eat clowns cause they taste funny?

GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page