GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Question about Reichsrevolver 1894
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tlt235
Starting Member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  7:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just picked up the following hand gun made in Erfurt Germany in 1894
the gun is in very good condition and I can't find much information on it, Could someone tell me a little about it and appox. value, Thanks Terry

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
18997 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  8:03:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a wonderful piece of history. You have the Model 1883 Reichsrevolver. This was the handgun of the Second Reich until replaced by the Luger in 1904/08.
Shoots a 10.6 mm German cartridge about the same in power as a 44 Russian. I have about 6 Reichsrevolvers and can attest they are a hoot to shoot.

Two breakage prone areas are the safety and the loading gate. I've seen a number of otherwise great '83's that had these two parts broken off.

There is a website just for Reichsrevolvers in Jan Stills' Luger website. You can find it. If you have any particular questions, don't hesitate to ask.

About the only English language books of any use on these is:

THE HANDGUN....... Boothroyd
GERMAN HANDGUNS.... Hogg
GERMAN HANDGUNS 1871-1918....Walter
GUN COLLECTORS DIGEST.......Various
(Volume I or III, can't recall offhand)

Best,
Mike

PS. Here's the site addy:
Luger Pistols
Address:http://www.gunboards.com/luger/

Just scroll down till you see it.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour

Edited by - p3skyking on 03/26/2004 8:13:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15661 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2004 :  8:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your "Erfurt" Reichsrevolver, was made in the Prussian state arsenal located in the City with the same name.

It was one of the last manufacturers to start production of the revolver ( Circa 1890 ). Prior to this date the first and second models were all produced under contract by commercial firms.

Supposedly the Model 1883's continued in production until the Luger was adopted by the German Army in 1908. I personally have never seen a Model 1883 with a 20th Century date. It's possible that production ended substantially prior to the adoptation of the Luger?

The value of your Reichsrevolver depends on it's condition and it's originality. Posting quality photos would be the best way for us to help you value your revolver.

Go to Top of Page

p3skyking
Advanced Member

USA
18997 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2004 :  5:47:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TLT,
You have mail.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page