GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 8mm Mauser vs. 7.62x54
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shoey

117 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  2:45:20 PM  Show Profile
Can anyone give me a comparison of the ballistics for thse two rounds? I posted earlier about the M44, and looked at one today just for fun, but I also looked at an 8mm Mauser for 40 dollars more that I liked as well...the rounds I found in the store that are legal for hunting are Wolf 7.62x54 with a 200 grain soft point and Federal 8mm Mauser with 170 grain soft point...which would make a better deer rifle? Thanks!

shoey

ern98

1821 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2004 :  3:46:03 PM  Show Profile
Except for the 8mm/30cal difference they are very similar. For all practical purposes think of them as somewhere between .308 & 30-06. They can both be handloaded hotter and bought from overseas suppliers in hotter forms. If hunting is the intension I would personally go with any Mauser 98 over the Nagant. In general the Mausers scope up well where as the Nagants need a bulky side mount system. Still they are both fun to own and shoot. Lots of history behind both. I believe the 7.62x54R is the oldest military round still in use today.

Go to Top of Page

shoey

117 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  12:18:57 AM  Show Profile
thanks!

shoey
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7323 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  08:03:37 AM  Show Profile
The biggest problem with the nagent is that odd safety on the bolt. It's not easy to use and promotes carrying the rifle with the safety off.

Mobuck
Go to Top of Page

ZERODIN
Advanced Member

USA
6779 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  1:34:18 PM  Show Profile
There's a safety on Nagants? I have an M44 and am convinced there is no safety on it.
Go to Top of Page

Mobuck
Advanced Member

7323 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  1:37:20 PM  Show Profile
That little thingy on the back end of the bolt.

Mobuck
Go to Top of Page

D@D
Advanced Member

USA
3774 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  6:29:20 PM  Show Profile
quote:
which would make a better deer rifle? Thanks!

It comes down to personal preference anyone will make a great deer rifle. And you can scope a M44 without useing a side mount or having to drill and tap new holes, you would just need a scout or pistol scope.Like this

http://home.earthlink.net/~hwsportsman/CheapScout.html
Go to Top of Page

chunkstyle
Advanced Member

USA
2860 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  6:42:03 PM  Show Profile
Uhhh... There's a set-screw there, but that's to adjust the firing pin depth. Once set, you shouldn't change it. I could hardly call that a safety.

"Go to the Lakedaemonians, stranger passing by;
And say that in obedience to their laws, here we lie"
Go to Top of Page

shoey

117 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2004 :  11:06:01 PM  Show Profile
I really like the looks of that scout rifle....hmmmm.....ideas are running rampant!

shoey
Go to Top of Page

1KYDSTR

USA
2319 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  01:02:52 AM  Show Profile
Chunkstyle...With the rifle at full cock(OK, I guess technically there isn't a half cock either...LOL)pull back slightly on the knurled round cocking piece and twist the rear of the bolt shroud to the left over the rear extension of the left rear side of the reciever. You will note that there is a little wing-like device on the back half of the bolt that is now locked phsically over the rear left of the reciever back. This is, as menitoned, not a really great safety device and it is not conducive to a hunting rifle as it is nearly imposible to disengage and get a good shot off at deer...you have to remove the rifle from your shoulder and use both hands, more or less. The Mauser has a 3 position safety on the rear of the bolt that will allow you to hold on target as you click it off and take your shot with an uninterrupted line of sight and no movement of the rifle off your shoulder. The 30-06, 8mm Mauser and 7.62x54R are all in the same generalballpark ballistically with the relative power respective, descending in the order I just listed. Either the 7.62x54 or 8mm Mauser would make fine deer cartridges. I would lean toward the 8mm because of the aforementioned reasons. The Russian round is one of my favorites, but I handload so I can wring the most from it, as well as the 8mm. The 7.62 is a VERY accurate cartridge as many past world records have been achieved using it by the Russians and the Finns and it is still a very popular round in European shooting and hunting circles. The advantage goes to the 8mm primarily becase of the safety concerns with the parent rifle. You can also get some eally impressive hunting ammo(it is expensive though)from Norma; it will be as much round as you will ever need for deer hunting anywhere in the U.S, and Canada.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"Power corrupts...Absolute power corrupts absolutely"(Descartes?)
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
Go to Top of Page

shoey

117 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2004 :  10:04:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks...I kind of preferred the mauser myself...a little more, but the action seemed much, much nicer in my opinion...I will likely have one this summer!

shoey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page