GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 BROWNING invector and plus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

7306 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  1:50:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PLEASE, someone tell me the difference between the invector and the invector plus on the Browning Citori shotgun. I picked one up with the invector, not the plus,,book says deduct 125. Why? thanks in advance. nambu

MIKE WISKEY
Advanced Member

7903 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  4:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
INV. PLUS IS 'OVERBORED', NORMAL 12 GA. BORE IS .729" (THIS IS NOT A HARD AND FAST RULE), INV. PLUS IS ABOUT .740". THIS GIVES A MORE EVEN PATTERN WITH TODAYS THIN PLASTIC SHOTSHELLS.

Go to Top of Page

Simi2_99
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  4:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What Mike is saying is normally refered to as "backbored barrels", the diameter is larger than because the manufacturer, or a gunsmith reamed the inside diameter larger from the muzzle (therefore "back" bored, for just the purpose he outlined. Then the outside thread diameter of the "Plus" is larger( and I also believe further down the barrel, or overall length is longer)so a Plus should not be able to screw into a Invector choke. Invector is a Brownings name and so is Invector Plus, but the Invector (which Browning stopped using in the early 90's) is the same as Mossberg and Winchester chokes, insofar as lenght and threading, etc. Deduct 125 is because the Plus is susposed to be more desirable as far as value goes, and so forth.....

Learn from the mistakes of others, for you won't live long enough to make them all yourself....
Go to Top of Page

Alpine
Advanced Member

9689 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  10:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw a new package of Invector Plus choke. The Browning package said in small print "Manufactured by Briley Chokes". So I guess Browning isn't even making their own choke tubes now.

Your mileage may vary.

"If you ain't got pictures, I wasn't there."
Go to Top of Page

BigBarn

USA
276 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2004 :  11:39:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
simi2 99 is right on! The Browning Invector Plus choke tube is configured completely different then the standard Invector tube. The plus is longer, and bigger around then the standard, and it throws a much censer pattern than the standard. That is why Browning quit using the standard in the 90, and went to the Plus.

Hope this helps,

BigBarn

"Respect the land, and it will respect you"
Go to Top of Page

Simi2_99
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  11:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe Browning still sells the Invector type for replacement just as many others manufacture them. My most recent purchase was Carlson's Extended version, even though Briley is "more" famous. The primary difference between standard length Invectors and extended (also the reason IV Plus susposedly works better)is the parallel length after the constriction or "choke" and the tube returns to straight walls at the smaller diameter. In any case having the Plus type increases the value. Don't be afraid to buy a gun with the standard type, its still a scattergun, and it usually the loose nut holding the gun that fails to break targets.

Learn from the mistakes of others, for you won't live long enough to make them all yourself....
Go to Top of Page

allechalley

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  12:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can always buy Brileys, Seminole,ect. after if you don't like the pattern. As Mike said, a lot has to do with the operator and his confidence. Some chokes pattern certain loads, shot better than others. I have a Hastings (about $15) that I swear patterns better than my one invector plus, so as he also said don't let the chokes deter you if you like the gun and it fits you and your budget. Just remember which style so if you buy others, you get the proper one.
Go to Top of Page

Grasshopper
Advanced Member

7306 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  07:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for input! I bought it. Upland special, English stock, 24 inch barrels, real clean, for 775. Works for me. nambu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page