GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Barrel Bulge
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snagglepuss
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  6:59:55 PM  Show Profile
I donít want to appear too obtuse here but what causes a barrel bulge, is it just caused by a round getting lodged in the barrel and firing another into it? If a barrel has a bulge (major or minor) in it, then generally is it unsafe to shoot? Thanks.

nunn
Administrator

USA
36090 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  7:08:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes.

Yes.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on GunBroker. Visit www.GunBroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
Go to Top of Page

ratgunr
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  7:11:40 PM  Show Profile
If it's a Long Gun Barrel,you now have a new crow bar.
If it's a Pistol Barrel,you now have a heavy sinker for fishing.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10952 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  7:30:56 PM  Show Profile
I don't necessarily agree with the first part of Nunn's answer... there are other things besides a lodged bullet that will cause a barrel to bulge, split, crack, or otherwise to deform.

I have personally seen barrels that have bulged (or more precisely have been "ringed") due to poor cleaning habits... especially in older black powder firearms. Bulges or other deformations can be caused by ANY obstruction in the barrel... not just lodged bullets.

Generally speaking, any barrel that is visibly deformed should not be shot, but I have seen a few cases were ringed barrels were safely shot for years (after a thorough cleaning), and it did not appear to negatively affect the accuracy. However, that is by far the exception to the rule verus being the norm. If in doubt, always have the barrel thoroughly inspectied and bore scoped at a minumum.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
Go to Top of Page

asa

133 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  8:17:38 PM  Show Profile
I have a 1930's Winchester 06 that was given to my father by the widow across the street in Florida several years ago. He had no interest in it and gave it to me. The barrel has not one, but two bulges; one 6 in. from the end and the other about 8 in. from the first. They're apparent from the outside but cannot be discerned when looking down the bore which is, incidentally, pristine. I've fired the gun at least 300 times with no problems. It's as accurate as my other two 06's. This one, at least, sure seems safe to shoot.
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  8:36:35 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Bert H.'s assessment.....and I sure would think twice before shooting this Gun....You hang up a Bullet for a zillionth of a second and the Volcano will Erupt with a Bang...Choice is Yours....But I recommend Not Shooting it....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
36090 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  9:45:07 PM  Show Profile
I would NEVER recommend shooting a gun with a bulged barrel. That said, our PD has two guns with bulged barrels that work.

One is a very old Stevens pump shotgun with a 30" barrel. The barrel is bulged about 2" back from the muzzle. Sort of a jug choke. It has accounted for a bunch of wild dogs.

The other is a M1A1 Thompson and it shoots like a house afire.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on GunBroker. Visit www.GunBroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2890 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  9:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I am not aware of any "SAFTEY" issues with shooting a ringed barrel!!!

Welcome back Bert....Hope those fish didn't get the best of ya

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10952 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  12:54:00 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Hangfire
Welcome back Bert....Hope those fish didn't get the best of ya

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob

Thanks... it is good to be back.

Nope the fish did not get the better of me, but a couple of times they did get the better of my fishing tackle It really sucks to have a big halibut take your bait when you are fishing for salmon... seriously overmatched! It takes forever to land one of them barn doors on light tackle... if you land it at all!!!

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12637 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  3:56:31 PM  Show Profile
You can also ring a barrel by shooting a barrel with grease or too much oil in it. The bullet overrides the grease and bulges the barrel. I think snow will also do it.
Go to Top of Page

Kdub

1470 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  4:40:07 PM  Show Profile
Have a Colt Police Positive my FIL managed to shoot a squib loaded wadcutter round, followed by another reduced load wadcutter. Bulged the barrel about 1" in front of the frame. Couldn't see it looking down the barrel, but could feel it on the outside.

Had a Sako pre-Garcia Forester .243 Win that got ringed just ahead of the chamber when stupidly using cornmeal as a filler for a full power load.

Both firearms were repeatedly shot after the above events with no apparent harm - grouped just as well as previously.

Keep off the Ridgeline
Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
36090 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  5:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I didn't say I would not shoot a gun with a bulged barrel. I have done so, and I will do so. I just can't recommend that you do so, since I don't know the extent of the damage to your firearm.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page