GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Kleinguenther rifle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jptatum

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  8:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last weekend I ran across a Kleinguenther rifle, 300 Win. Mag, that is a model K-14. Does anybody know anything about this rifle? The action is definitely not a Winchester Model 70. The books I have seen list a K-15 but no K-14. It has a 26" barrel and no sights. It has a walnut stock with a rose wood tip.

J. Patrick Tatum

Mooseyard

2394 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  10:27:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I know is that they were a custom ade gun from Texas I think. My buddy has one, and it is an awesome rifle. THe best trigger I've ever felt.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8980 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2004 :  10:35:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, I have 15 pages on the KDF K-14 and no, I am not going to transcribe them all here. I won't live that long. So, you're left with the short version...

Kleinguenther Distinctive Firearms (KDF) was incorporated in 1970 in Seguin, TX. Bob Kleinguenther convinced Voere (German not Austrian) that their rifle model, the Shikar, was not going to be successful and that he and they should set about designing a new rifle to be marketed by KDF in the U.S. In 1972, the design was approve and sent to production with a model number of K-14 for Kleinguenther project number 14. In Europe it was referred to as M2145. About 7,000 rifles were produced between 1973 and 1977 with final sales taking place as late as 1978.

The bolt has 3 lugs with the extractor machined into the side of one on the lugs similar to a Sako extractor except for this placement. The lugs are the same O.D as the bolt body and fit into a threaded locking insert that is press fit into the front of the receiver body. The barrel threads into this insert. The barrel threads are same as a large ring Mauser 1.100" x 12 TPI. This rifle utilizes a version of the 'drop box magazine'. It has an excellent adjustable trigger which also contains the function of a bolt stop. With the rifle completely unloaded, open the bolt and pull back on the trigger which lowers a plunger type stop that rides in a slot in the bolt. The bolt can then be fully removed.

I have one of the Shikars but not a K-14. They commanded a good price then but have gotten to be stupid expensive due to collectors. An interesting aside; every K-14 that Bob Kleinguenther received from Germany was disassembled and he personally bedded each and every one.

From another poster somewhere:

VOERE: This outfit was VOERE from Vöhrenbach/Germany.
They made one of the best bolt action rifles in history. The were sold in the USA under the Kleinguenter brand as K14 or K15. Fine rifles , even for the biggest of magnums.
Get one, if you can find it second hand. Rebarreling to a calibre of your choice is a snap. It will accept any barrel threaded for a M98 Mauser, just like that.

This is the old work address:

Kleinguenther Firearms
1604 N. Heideke St.
P.O. Box 2020
Seguin, TX 78155
830-372-5050

I have sent you an e-mail.

Best.

Edited by - nononsense on 07/15/2004 10:37:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  12:09:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If memory serves...the K-14 was called the Insta-Fire....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8980 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2004 :  10:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good memory!

Kleinguenther added the term "Insta-Fire" *as an allusion to faster lock time just as production and advertising began. It is in reference to the faster ignition gained by the arrangement of the 2 part firing pin and its placement in relationship to the primer. The term was suggested by a shooting friend of Kleinguenther's. The actual improvement was .05 milliseconds as related to the total lock time of 2.0 m/s.
* Paraphrased from The Bolt Action Vol. II by Otteson

Best.

Go to Top of Page

jptatum

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  8:10:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for all of the information. I bought the rifle for $550. Quite a bargain from what you have told me.

J. Patrick Tatum
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page