GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Question about 32 Cal Rim Fire Ammunition
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeff Hook
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  7:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father has a very old gun manufactured in New Haven Conn. It has an octagonal barrel and is marked 32 Cal RF. He has been told that this gun required rim fire 32s. Are these available for purchase? Are they still produced? Any info would be of great help.

Regards,

Jeff Hook

Contender Man

USA
2169 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  8:14:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome to the forum.

32 RF (rimfire) hasn't been commercially produced in many years, and I don't know of any specialty loaders that are custom making it either. However, one of the other members may know of a specialty loarder.

Another source might be Old Western Scrouger. Thelink to their web site is: http://www.ows-ammunition.com/

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
Go to Top of Page

toolman9mm

680 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  8:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
navy arms had some made for them in 32 short rimfire and longs..they are in a light green box marked navy arms...i think they still have it..its made in brazil...tom

Edited by - toolman9mm on 07/17/2004 8:50:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

oldammo

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  9:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, have in both Longs and Shorts. Canuck, Western and Remington. Email me If you want info. aflower@epix.net

Old Ammo, have lots always looking for more.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10923 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2004 :  10:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Jeff...

It appears that your father has a Winchester Model 1885 Single-Shot (most likely a low-wall). Several thousand of them were made in .32 rimfire (both Short & Long). If you or your father is interested in learning more about the rifle itself, please reply to this response, or contact me at Win1885@msn.com.

As for the ammo, Navy Arms still makes .32 rimfire.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
Go to Top of Page

Iconoclast
Advanced Member

USA
13106 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  06:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff - Welcome to the zoo.

While there was a whole range of .32 RF cartridges from eXtra Short to eXtra Long, I'm sure Bert has nailed the choices for you.

The Navy Arms rounds are copper cased and were made in Brazil. I don't know which firearm was involved, but I had an acquaintance who experienced consistent case splits with some he purchased last year - necessitating forcing the empty out with a cleaning rod inserted in the muzzle - with at least one box of these. I had a few loose rounds of Winchester and Remington product I gave him to try and those worked fine. Whether this was due to a particular subset of the run, representative of the quality of the entire production or due in part to a fault in his rifle, I cannot say, but I would submit it is something to watch.

The most recent "domestic" production is the Canuck which was produced by Dominion on contract for Speer until the factory was destroyed circa 1975. The next youngest is Western in the various post WW2 packaging schemes, which will carry some collector premium. Either of these, if properly stored, should shoot reliably. Anything older than that will be more problematic. All these can be found from time to time under "collectible ammo" here and on other auction sites or at shows, in shops, etc. Expect to pay $25 - $50 a box, depending on condition, etc., but the middle of that range is fair to both parties.

Good luck!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And liberals / demoRats" (me)
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Advanced Member

USA
2891 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  11:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we stock the .32 and .41 rimfire ammo (new production) here at the shop. i have used both sizes in personal guns. if you cannot locate it elsewere, email me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com for details. best regards, mike.

(ps. i am looking for .30 long rimfire ammo myself...)

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12595 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  2:21:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you want to first determine if you have the 32RF short or long chambers before buying expensive ammo.
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10923 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  5:55:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff...

Based on the markings you mention that are on the rifle... "New Haven Conn." and "32 Cal RF", it is a Winchester Model 1885 that was manufactured in the year 1886, and it should have a serial number somewhere in the 2250 - 5250 range. The very early Model 1885s with the caliber stamp you mention were all chambered for .32 Short. Later (when Winchester began offering the .32 Long), the caliber stamps were changed to "32 SHORT" and "32 LONG". Since 32 Short can be safely used in a firearm chambered for 32 Long, I do believe you can go wrong by purchasing 32 Short ammo. Even though the MOdel 1885 is a very strong action, the rifle should be checked by a competent gunsmith before shooting it.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12595 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2004 :  6:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a rifle or a pistol? If it's a rifle is it a single shot or repeater? What other markings are on the gun? I assumed it was a suicide special revolver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page