GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 winchester model 59 pigeon grade question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  9:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i bought a m-59 in conn years ago, where the owner claimed it to be a pigeon grade. nowhere on the gun is there a pigeon nor is it marked pigeon on the bottom. i am told that they didnt mark pigeon on pigeon grade 59's, rather, they were just fitted with aaa select high grade wood and a winchester pad. it has such. any ideas?

only winchesters

USA
1673 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2004 :  9:39:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bobski: My book shows the Md 59 Pigeon as only being offered in 62 and 63, the bolt and carrier should be jeweled, (engine turned). As with all Winchester Pigeons, the interals are all honed. They stamped all other Pigeons, Md 12, 42, 50, 50 Featherweight, and 21, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't do it to the 59. My book shows a couple of Pigeon 59s, neither have a Pad. It did say the Pigeon guns were special order, they didn't make them up in advance. Which seems right, since stock length, engraving, (was an extra) recoil pad or butt plate. You could get standard Pigeon wood checkering or "A" or "B" carved wood, (simalar to the Md 12). Hope this helps you. Regards Dave
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2004 :  08:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bolt and carrier are turned. all hand honed too. does your pic show the words pigeon? does the stock have a pg cap?
Go to Top of Page

only winchesters

USA
1673 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2004 :  11:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob: My book only shows the side view. Yes the standard Pigeon wood, (like the Md 50) with a capped pistol grip. Forearm has the 3 diamonds on the bottom as well as the side pannels. If it's been honed at the factory, they did that before anodisizing the receiver. If the honing took place after it left the factory the anodize would have veen removed. Dave
Go to Top of Page

jbc
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  9:42:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a M 59 and I'm curious to know exactly how to tell if it's pigeon grade. There is a stamp of some kind on the botton just in front of where the shells are loaded. It's a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser and it's a circle with a P above a W inside it. That may just be a generic Winchester stamp but just curious.

Not being a gun expert, I didn't follow the other things to look for that were mentioned in the last post. If there is a way to make that something a novice could follow, I'd really appreciate the help.
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  8:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the word 'pigeon' would be right under the serial number.
Go to Top of Page

Winchester 1912

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  11:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jbc

I have a M 59 and I'm curious to know exactly how to tell if it's pigeon grade. There is a stamp of some kind on the botton just in front of where the shells are loaded. It's a little smaller than the size of a pencil eraser and it's a circle with a P above a W inside it. That may just be a generic Winchester stamp but just curious.

Not being a gun expert, I didn't follow the other things to look for that were mentioned in the last post. If there is a way to make that something a novice could follow, I'd really appreciate the help.

The "WP" in the circle was Winchester's proof mark. This meant that the gun was factory tested with hot loads and withstood the high pressures of firing these "proof" loads thus qualifing the firearm as safe to leave the factory.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page