GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 hi-standard 22 model HB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4328 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2004 :  11:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can anyone tell me the difference between a model HB and a model HD,I have had a couple different model HD's but never seen a model HB,had a man called tonight and wanted to know if I would take one in part of a trade,plus whats the value of a model HB, blue, made New Haven Conn, 4" in about 80%,good grips,no cracks with 2 mags
thanks

Mooseyard

2394 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  12:19:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pre-war HB's start in the 52,000 serial range, I think their were about 2000 of these made. The pre-wars did not have safeties while the post-wars did. They were both available in long and short barrel versions. I thought Marks guess on the price was a little low, but after checking my blue book to make sure, he was pretty close. In my years of collecting HS letter models, I have seen hundreds of post-wars, but yet to see a pre-war for sale. I would guess that a pre-war would bring a higher price because of this, I know I would pay more. I hope this helps a little. The difference between the HD and the HB is that the HD has a heavy barrel,an adjustable sight and a large grip frame that is flat on the bottom. The HB has the same frame grip as the B, it is slanted on the bottom.

"My faith, my country and my family guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
Mooseyard Precision
LE Supply & Firearms
NRA Certified Instructor
Shawano, WI 54166
Go to Top of Page

bobski
Advanced Member

Vatican City
19621 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  10:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you guys covered it pretty well. the hb was basically a colt woodsman in comparison. the prewar hb was made from 1940 to 1942. does it have the hard rubber or momogram grips? btw, if you have a big hand, the gun is going to be clumsy. its a really short grip. btw...ask the guy selling it if he has any extra aftermarket grips or leads for grips on that B model gun. one of our gb posters needs a set. fyi, on the early pre supermatic guns, bbls were designated like this, (starting at the bottom at the utility level:) tapered, semi tapered, heavy. the B is a tapered bbl. the HD is a semi tapered, and a model E is a heavy bbl. we all know that the term bull bbl came from the bbl designer 'robert bull.' though many bbls made before him were heavies, once his design caught on, all heavies were called bulls, even to this day. so old hi stds prior to supermatics dont really have bull bbls, theyre heavy bbls. there, we just split one more hair in the gun realm! may i add that unless you have a love for these guns, pass on it. the slides are a pain to take off and if an old hi std is going to crack, its gonna be under the slide in the rails or on the bottom of the slide itself. too many people have shot these old guns with new vipers and hi-v's ruining the old timers. be careful.

Edited by - bobski on 09/06/2004 10:52:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

sharpshooter039
Advanced Member

USA
4328 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2004 :  7:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info,he came by first thing this morning and brought it for me to see,he was only wanting to use it for trade on a BLR .308 .I bet I have not shot the rifle in 5yrs.he gave me the pistol and $550 for the rifle so I made out alright.did not fit my hand so I traded it off this afternoon for a new Caspian stainless 1911 frame that already had all new wilson internals.for anyone interested I found on just like it just not as clean here on GB that could be had for $150
http://www.GunBroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=22512608
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page