GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Glock 20C Vs. S&W Model 1006
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BubbaK
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  07:49:13 AM  Show Profile
I like traditional double action pistols and it's hard to beat stainless steel for working in saline environments, so I'm leaning toward hunting for a M.1006; however, 15 compensated 10mm rounds sound more appealing that 9 un-compensated. Did S&W ever get the strength problems worked out of their 10mms before they stopped making them? I'm also considering experimenting with one of those 9x25 Dillon Bbls from bar-sto/doubletapammo.com. Any imput there?

BubbaK
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  4:57:07 PM  Show Profile
The teflon finished, 9" Bbl EAA Witness also looks interesting. By the way, does anyone know how many versions of 10mm semi-auto pistol Smith & Wesson has made. I want one with the same action as my s&w 645, ( full size, all stainless, hammer drops on a block when safety is engaged) so would that be a 1006, or a 1026....or what? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

bambihunter
Advanced Member

USA
9554 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  6:13:44 PM  Show Profile
You've got 9 posts here on GB and I like you already... You're a 10mm fan!

S&W hasn't really had any real strength problems with the 10mm line like Colt had with the early Delta Elite frames (which were fixed fairly quickly by the way).

The models that meet your description (full size, all stainless, hammer drops on a block when safety is engaged) would be a 1006 with a 5" barrel or 1066 with a 4.25" barrel.

S&W has made the following models in normal productions (there were a few prototype 10mm's submitted to the FBI that never went into production after the prototypes for the test). The models are:

The guns below are listed in "matched pairs" by action type with the shorter barrel model being listed first.

1066 and 1006 (DA/SA with slide mounted decocker/safety)
1076 and 1026 (DA/SA with frame mounted decocker)
1086 and 1046 (DAO)

It's hard to make a suggestion without knowing what your intended usage is for the gun. I have a Glock 20 for home defense and some hunting roles, and a Glock 29 for CCW. I have a S&W 1006 and 1076 for range use but the 1076 would make a fine CCW gun too.

You might want to shoot various models before deciding on which one. Also, I personally don't like a compensated barrel. It lowers the effective velocity of the barrels length reducing a loads effectiveness. If this is a defense gun it can also temporarily blind you in a low light situation (if you shoot and the fire shoots through the ports).
*see picture below and imagine being behind that gun in a low-light situation.*

People whine about the 10mm's recoil but in most of the 10mm's that I have shot (and it's a lot of 'em) the recoil isn't bad at all. On the Glock, it has a wide grip which spreads out the recoil. Also, the polymer supposedly absorbs some of it. Conversely, the S&W and most other all-steel pistols are heavy and the weight alone helps significantly with the recoil.

You have picked the right source for 10mm ammo. Doubletap is the way to go to get the most out of the 10mm auto cartridge...

Edited by - bambihunter on 09/26/2004 01:06:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

allechalley

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  05:59:29 AM  Show Profile
I agree wholeheartedly with Bambi on the S&W line, the weight takes up a lot of the recoil and muzzle flip, even with the nasty stuff. I will say as Smith lover, that the 1000 series is a chunk of steel and is not a fly weight for carry. It was made as a duty weapon, but most enforcement types traded for Glock as it felt like their belt was dragging out their tracks by the end of the day. The Smith isn't quite as narrow as a 1911 type, and there is certainly isn't less steel, but then too, we're dealing with a lot more stones than a .45
Go to Top of Page

BubbaK
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  10:24:35 PM  Show Profile
It'd be carried as my duty weapon on standard black clarino Sam Browne duty belt. I'm currently carrying my 645, so I don't see much of a weight change, plus the Smith 10mm would give me one more round than the 645.
The glock .45's grip is too big around for my comfort level, so I'd bet their 10mm would be too- I hear it's about the same or larger. I just don't feel confident I could hold on to the 10 mm glock if I was fighting someone for possession of my duty weapon. I know they can't get the Smith away from me- been there/ done that.
So I guess i'm looking for a 1006. I saw one here on GunBroker, guess I ought to bid on it, huh? Thanks Folks!
Go to Top of Page

BubbaK
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  11:00:39 PM  Show Profile
So The 1066 has a longer bbl than the 1006? What are the lengths, if you know, please sir. I'd also like to experiment with that 9x25 dillon bar-sto Bbl that doubletapammo is selling. An 1800+fps 9mm round might just, maybe, be worth looking at for certain applications. Sorta like the bigger, slightly slower brother of a 7.62x 39 R from a carbine- all in a handy handgun, huh?
Go to Top of Page

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  11:51:00 PM  Show Profile
bubbak,you got it backasswards the 1006 has the longer barrel 5" compared to the 4.25" of the 1066.

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

ATF,Eagle Guns

Edited by - ATF on 09/25/2004 11:51:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

bambihunter
Advanced Member

USA
9554 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  01:05:40 AM  Show Profile
Oops, sorry Bubbak, the 1006 being shorter than the 1066 was a typo on my post above (I corrected it).

If you didn't like the grip of a Glock 21/30 then you won't like the grip on the 20/29 because they are exactly the same. In fact, you can order a complete top end and use the lower frame to convert between them.

If you're after the 1066 you might be looking a while, there were barely over 5,000 guns made compared to nearly 27,000 for the 1006. I currently have a mint condition 1006 and 1076 FBI (box and papers for both) and I've been looking for the other S&W 10mm's in the same condition now for probably 6 months without success. Of course I'm picky!

If speed is your main objective then maybe you should consider the FN Five-Seven which is 5.7 x 28 in a similar necked down configuration to the 9x25 Dillon, but in an even smaller bullet going faster yet and is fired from a slightly longer case. I personally think when you get on the smaller bullet/higher velocity bandwagon that you reach a point that looks good on paper but not in practice. That's why the .17 hmr isn't used for deer hunting...

Edited by - bambihunter on 09/26/2004 03:42:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

sr338

77 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  02:40:43 AM  Show Profile
Good point on the .17... BUT, the reason the five seven is so cool is because it doesn't matter that the bullet is small, as soon as it enters ballisitic clay (or soft tissue) the bullet starts to tumble inside. Pretty gruesome, but thats why FN can proclaim no "overpenetration", while still being able to penetrate level 4 body armor.
800 bucks is pricy, but soon they'll have 20 round magazines available to the public. That's a lot of firepower, which translates into a lot fun at the range!

out to prove he's got nothing to prove.

Edited by - sr338 on 09/26/2004 02:41:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

BubbaK
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  06:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bambihunter, didn't you have any luck on the wanted page with the guy claiming to have a 1066 (NIB) for you?
BTW: do you happen to know if the 1006 will fit the same Rogers SS III holster as my 645? I know the magazine pouches will fit the same .45 pouch, and the slide should be the same length (right?), but the trigger guard looks a little longer.
Go to Top of Page

BubbaK
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2004 :  07:04:00 AM  Show Profile
Oh, also, I'm a bigger is better believer. I just can't get an 18 wheeler to fit in my holster, so i've been using this 645 since Smith started making it...mine was 1 of the first four pistols to reach Houston, and I've qualified with it every year. Plus, until a recent transfer, you couldn't have convenced me there was a better in-town round. Plenty of penetration by a bullet that expands to well over 1/2 inch and (w/ the 230 gr Hydra-shoks) stays together even through an El Camino roof support and 3 stereos. I didn't want any more penetration than that for in-town use. (I carried my .44 mag when I worked the parks patrol and had to put down injured deer, but went back to my 645 after nearly having to cap a shooting suspect in a crowded mall. I had visions of way too much penetration for that situation with the .44!!!)
Since my dept. says the min. I can carry is 9mm in caliber, and doubletap is loading that 115 gr gold dot to 1800 fps, I thought I might thy it out on an old level 2 vest, just for informational purposes only.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page