GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Converting AK to Underfolder - Clearance
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

booger

USA
1166 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  8:25:14 PM  Show Profile
Before I go messing up spending money and frazzling my nerves, looks to me like adding an underfolder isn't that easy.

A true underfolder has a differently stamped receiver for the swivel point of the folder, correct? Thus, you either drill a large hole OR attach the underfolder to an adpative "block" attached behind the receiver.

If you use the adapter block would the folder still fold up correctly? I don't see how since it would be about 3" further rearward. Extended fine, but folded to clear the magazine?

Comments anyone?

Them ducks is wary.

boeboe
Advanced Member

4009 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  8:36:56 PM  Show Profile
The AK underfolder has always been a POS. Looks cool, but very poor in shooting comfort. Get yourself one of the new side folders and you will be far and away happier than having a cool looking underfolder that lacks any practicality.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
Go to Top of Page

Muffinman

USA
592 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  12:17:55 AM  Show Profile
You would have to Drill the hole yes. The back stock retainer also has to be cut off. Your best bet is to buy a reciever with the hole already cut and the rear block installed.
Go to Top of Page

artvls

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  03:17:46 AM  Show Profile
I had one years ago, the metal buttplate can be hard on the shoulder and if you get your face to close to the metal stock it can pop you in the face. I sold mine and bought a wood stock.
Go to Top of Page

drobs
Advanced Member

USA
20245 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  2:21:44 PM  Show Profile
That's a little above my knowledge you may want to go ask that question over at AK47.net

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/

Lot's of builders on there.

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12589 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  8:11:52 PM  Show Profile
Boeboe and artvil are correct. Underfolders are very wide making getting behind the sights a pain. In addition they are cold steel that can jar your molars. The Chinese sidefolder has a plastic handgrip that is warmer and narrower against the face. In addition you could use the bayonet more effectively because of its' natural grip. You could say the same for wood stock models.
When there was a lot of TV footage in the Bosnian war, I noted a number of underfolders with stocks half extended to get them out of the way when shooting.
Go to Top of Page

rldowns3
Advanced Member

USA
6718 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  8:35:49 PM  Show Profile
My Norinco AK has an underfolding stock. I'll tell you now that it is painful to put any amount of rounds through. The "skeleton" butt of the stock leaves interesting marks on your shoulder. I enjoy the hell out of shooting it though with the stock folded up, but accuracy that way is nil.

Go to Top of Page

booger

USA
1166 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  8:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, sidefolder, now why didn't I think of that because I've shot metal underfolders too and my molars were rattling.

Them ducks is wary.
Go to Top of Page

boeboe
Advanced Member

4009 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  9:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Robinson Armament and Tapco have a couple of new styled side folders that would be worth checking out. Tapco is designed after Galil pattern. Robinson Arms looks to be copied from FAL FN Para stock. They both look much more comfortable than the old styled hard steel rod folding stocks normally found on AK's.

Sorry Rob Arms took up so much space. Tapco is on bottom.

Edited by - boeboe on 10/02/2004 9:57:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

drobs
Advanced Member

USA
20245 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  11:10:03 PM  Show Profile
What kind of Ak you planning on putting it on?

I have an ACE side folder on my SAR1 and a Romanian side folder on my WASR10. The Romanian was the easiest to install, 2 screws!

Regards,

Go to Top of Page

ginmaster

USA
1857 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  12:03:51 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to chime in on this one. I have recently ordered a Romanian side folder for my mak90. I did this after researching the underfolder after I purchased it. I thought that with my access to tools, welders and a fair amount of brains to pick that I could install it and make it operate normally. I haven't given up on the underfolder all together but I have for now. One should buy the receiver and trunions in place before trying this. Lucky for me I had enough self control to try and make a plan before I started cutting, drilling and welded anything. The plans showed me that I would need to buy a receiver and trunions for this project.

BTW Mark C. tried to explain it to me recently.
Thanks Mark

Born To Hunt... Forced To Work... #@!#$!!

Edited by - ginmaster on 10/03/2004 12:05:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

redman.com1

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  06:34:16 AM  Show Profile
although the ban is gone. you still cant put a folder on one unless it is american made. right?
Go to Top of Page

boeboe
Advanced Member

4009 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2004 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile
It has to have enough US parts to qualify as a US made gun. Any of the recently made and sold AK's would qualify for that, and if the folding stocks are US made, so much the better. On guns like the MAK-90, you would have to add some additional parts.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page