GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 "Manuel Escodin" 32-20 Revolver
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dj04
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  12:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Looking for info about this (32-20) 6 shot revolver. It says Eibar Spain after the name on the top of the barrel with 1926 MODEL REVOLVER under the name and .32 Winchester Ctg stamped in the left sode of the barrel. It looks like an S&W, has a 4-7/8" barrel and a square butt. There is a sort of "Shield" with a Knight's Armor Helmet above the shield on the left side below the cyl. release. There appears to be an "L" in the upper right corner of the shield and a "G" in the lower point. The left side of the shield is worn, thought there appears to also be a letter there - maybe a "J". The words...US PATENT OFFICE appear under the shield on the right with something under the left side that I can't make out. Some concentric circles in the center of the shield include the word "AMMUNITION" going counter clockwise from about 10 to 2 and something unreadable going clockwise from about 10:30 to 1:30. The gun is blued with wood grips, fixed groove and blade sights, and a floating firing pin on the hammer. The serial number is stamped poorly on the bottom of the butt and is M XX XXXX.
A lot of words, I know.... Can anybody help

Thanks. Reply to doug@aliken.com please!

Doug Johnson

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15836 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  01:47:23 AM  Show Profile
Prior to the Spanish Civil War ( circa mid 1930's ), there were many manufactures of inexpensive, poor quality handguns in Spain. It's quite common to find revolvers such as yours with spurous/deceptive markings to make the unlettered think they were obtaining a high quality US manufactured handgun.

Because of the quality of the materials and questionable workmanship, many that I have run across have been out of time. Due to the above factors there is little collectors interest.

Go to Top of Page

yachtdave

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  06:53:03 AM  Show Profile
they had on at a local auction recently... went for 70............same gun???

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Contender Man

USA
2169 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  09:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Pictures would help, but as already pointed out ... this is not a "collector" item for anyone other than those that specialize in Spanish copies (of which there are many).

If one sold here for $70 at auction that's about $20 more than I've seen 'em sell for in very good condition.

If you thinking about firing this revolver, FIRST, have it checked out by a gunsmith. SECOND, when acquiring ammo make sure that you don't by any in cartons marked RIFLE only as they are hot loads and not recommended for even higher quality revolvers.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
Go to Top of Page

dj04
Starting Member

16 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  10:14:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rufe-snow

Prior to the Spanish Civil War ( circa mid 1930's ), there were many manufactures of inexpensive, poor quality handguns in Spain. It's quite common to find revolvers such as yours with spurous/deceptive markings to make the unlettered think they were obtaining a high quality US manufactured handgun.

Because of the quality of the materials and questionable workmanship, many that I have run across have been out of time. Due to the above factors there is little collectors interest.

Go to Top of Page

Xracer
Advanced Member

2551 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  10:45:36 AM  Show Profile
Between WWI and WWII, there were literally hundreds of small gun manufacturers in the Eibar Region of Spain. A few made quality firearms, most did not.

Yours is most likely a copy of the S&W Model 1905 Hand Ejector (Later known as the Military & Police, and still later, called the Model 10)

As others have said, not a lot of collector interest in these....and if you plan to shoot it, please have it checked out by a gunsmith first (and no hot loads).
Go to Top of Page

Ross

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  4:05:59 PM  Show Profile
All of the above caveats are correct, however be aware that the reputation of these guns has been influenced by a very effective disinformation program by American gunmakers to discredit all Spanish guns. The effect resembles the xenophobic canard about the inferiority of those cheap Japanese war trophies.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Advanced Member

USA
2891 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  5:19:14 PM  Show Profile
we own over a dozen spanish handguns at this point...
everyone we own is a good or high quality firearm...

example closest to yours:
ARANA Y CIA, EIBAR SPAIN
DOM 1928
"EL CANO" MODEL ("THE GREY ONE")
.32-20 WCF 6-SHOT DA/SA REVOLVER
S&W 1905 hand ejector clone
superb bluing, case hardened reciever, hamer, and trigger
5.75" BBL
"shield with crosssed swords topped by a crown" proof
"rampant lion" proofs

this piece is an exeptionaly accuratte and high quality revolver. it performs flawlessly on the target range, and is at least as well made as its S&W progenitor.

while the vast majority of spanish arms of this period are poorly made clones, or junk copies, at least 1/4 are high quality arms. these are often overlooked and undervalued. the piece above was purchased for $68.00, and is in NRA EXCELLANT / 90% CONDITION.

do not instantly classify these guns as poorly made garbage...

have it inspected by a trained and experianced gunsmith, and if he ok`s it, enjoy it...

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.

Edited by - mrmike08075 on 10/04/2004 5:20:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bamavol
Advanced Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  5:31:44 PM  Show Profile
I have a 32-20 S&W. So I find all of the comments on this subject informative. I enjoy browsing "Ask the Expert" and learn something every time. Thanks to all who contribute.

Bamavol
Go to Top of Page

mrmike08075
Advanced Member

USA
2891 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  7:41:24 PM  Show Profile
MANUAL ESCODIN
EIBAR SPAIN
details of this companys history are rather obscure. the only facts i could dig up are that from 1924-1931 it produced a revolver in .32 S&W, .32-20 WCF, .38 S&W, and .38 SPECIAL chamberings. these guns were clone copies of the S&W MILITARY AND POLICE MODEL. the trademark is an ornate coat of arms stamped (usualy very badly) onto the left side of the frame. better than average construction, but not up to AMERICAN or EUROPEAN standards.

best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
contact me at the shop at waltsgun@aol.com best regards, mike.
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2004 :  1:15:51 PM  Show Profile
From your discription it appears that You have an Import for the American Company J.L.Galef & Son of New York City...The Shield and Knights Helm with the Letters given. is the TRADE MARK of J L. Galef...On the Left side Top of the Shield should be 'J'...the Right Side is the letter 'L' and the Point at the Bottom of the Shield is 'G'....These particular guns were Made and Imported to Galef in New York in the mid to late 1920's....The concentric circles You discribe says ARMS AMMUNITION with a Bullseye in the Center....This gun was made in Spain by one of the many Gun Makers that had set up shop in that period of time..There were many makers that did a Good Job and built quality Guns.....then there were those that did'nt do as well and went by the wayside....The words U.S. Patent seems to be a PLOY to make the Arm appear to be of Quality and nothing further...! As to the MAKER....? I have No Idea as the name given is not listed in any of my Books on Spanish Makers.....Best.....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff<P><BR>

Edited by - captkirk3@dslextreme.com on 10/05/2004 1:23:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page