GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Iver Johnson 38, Value and Age
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lc
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  6:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father-in-law has a gun and I am trying to determine it's age and possible value. I've 'googled' around on the internet, but don't find this model.

It is an Iver Johnson revolver, model Trailmaster 66S, serial number p34xx (number on right side of frame, not under the grip as some sites have indicated it would be). 38 S&W caliber, exposed hammer.

Strange thing, the barrel and cylinder portion of the gun is blued/black. The frame is a reddish color. Is this correct and original? Why was this done, if original?

The colors are in good shape with no visible rust, but the underlying metal is 'rough', almost pitted looking. Is this original, with the metal just being cast this rough, or has it been reblued? If so, why the 2 colors?

What might the value of this gun be? (P.S. The grips are not correct, the internet says they should be an 'Owl Head', these are cheap plastic)
When was it built?

b.goforth

966 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  1:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lc,
the true name of this revolver is the 'model 66S trailsman snub'. it is a short barrel version of the model 66 trailsman. the caliber is 38 S&W. the model 66 was manufactured between 1958 and 1978 and was offered only in 22 rimfire caliber. the model 66S was manufactured between 1959 and 1963 and was offered in 22 rimfire (letter codes K & T), 32. s&w c.f (letter code B) and 38 s&w (letter code P). there were about three rimfire models for every centerfire model manufactured. this revolver serial number P34xx was manufactured about 1960/1961.

the small two piece plastic grips are original. the redish hue that the frame has is usually a sign that the gun has been refinished. the original finish was a matte black (not highly polished). the model 66 and 66S do not have the hammer the hammer (transfer bar ignition system) of its sister model the 'model 67 viking' (manufactured 1964-1978).

value of the model 66 or 66S is not high and will vary quite a bit depending on condition. a refinished shootable one will generally sell between $75 to $100 at gun shows. original cost of the model 66S in 1959 was only $35.00.
bill

Edited by - b.goforth on 10/15/2004 1:46:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

lc
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  03:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your response. You told me everything I needed to know.

I appreciate your knowledge, and taking the time to give me the information.

LC.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page