GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 1981-1982 Remington 870 DU Value
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nikie
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  11:08:27 PM  Show Profile
Hello,

I sure hope someone can help me.???
Does anyone know the value of a Remington 870 Ducks Unlimited that was made in 1981-1982 the serial # starts with 13---.. It is in Unfired Condition. It Has a 30" Vent Rib Barrel, Full Choke. It is a 12 Ga. with a 2 3/4 Chamber. It has Gold Inlay and it is Beautiful..
The only thing missing is the original Box.

I can send anyone pictures if they would like to see it.

Thank-You.
Nikie

Edited by - Nikie on 10/15/2004 11:20:49 PM

allechalley

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  12:28:51 AM  Show Profile
I'll take a stab........but you may not like my answer. Assuming the date is right, I don't think the Express model had come out yet. Being unfired helps, probably better wood, but need to know if it is field model, ADL, or BDL. No box, standard chamber and fixed full choke aren't helping either. You are probably looking at $200 to $300. Sorry, but the gold and Ducks Unlimited doesn't add anything and sometimes detracts. Since it has been a raffle gun, it is considered "used", but new mechanically. You MAY find someone who is just 'taken' by it, or possibly a collector who wants one to fill out a set willing to give on the higher end. Unfortunately these were raffled by the hundreds, the DU engraving means little, and these are guns meant to shoot, not a classic like a sxs or o/u with really great workmanship. If you like it, appreciate it or shoot it as a special gun that can be handed down. A dealer will consider it a nice, like new 870 Wingmaster (I assume), nothing more, nothing less.
Go to Top of Page

Nikie
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  10:48:43 PM  Show Profile

I guess I should calm down.......

BUT, I never mention a BDL,EXPRESS.FIELD MODEL,ADL,which I thought were all HIGH POWERED RIFLES..

Excuse Me, did I say The Gun ("SHOTGUJN") was Raffled off???????

NO.!!!!!!!!!!

I have been offered $350.00 for the barrel alone..
Yes,this gun did come out before the Express..

Excuse me if I treaded on a MAN's truf here..
I just thought that I might find someone who appreciated "PRETTY" shotguns like I do,and would share some values with me.

Nikie

P.S. If You want To Email Me And Tell Me Off That Is Fine Too But Don't Post "S---" like it came from my month.

Go to Top of Page

springer1

595 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2004 :  11:23:05 PM  Show Profile
Remington 870 did come in alot of models
ADL,BDL,D,F,TOURNAMENT,TRAP,PREMIER GRADE
SA,TB,TC
I think you should take that for the barrel and run
or find the right buyer for your gun
Book on your gun is from 300 to 6000
Go to Top of Page

calamitywood

USA
933 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:14:03 AM  Show Profile
yes Nikie you should calm down. You asked a question on this forum and someone did their best to answere for you. The fact is he gave you a good estimate with the information he was provided. Everyone on this site is ready to help to the best of their ability and there is no reason to reply so rudely just because you didn't hear what you wanted to hear. JMHO
Go to Top of Page

allechalley

USA
892 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  02:25:29 AM  Show Profile
By all means, I would certainly sell that barrel before this fish wises up. You can still buy new 870's for about $200 more complete.
And they have the barrels that weren't recalled and also have choke tubes.
Go to Top of Page

hakimrifle
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2004 :  12:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Hello, First of all your 870 is a early 870 (DU) DINNER GUN, FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO DO NOT KNOW WHAT THIS IS,IT IS A SHOTGUN OR RIFLE OR HAND GUN THAT IS PRESENTED AT A FORMAL DINNER,OR RETIREMENT DINNER FROM A COMPANY(NOT RAFFLED OFF)OR ISSUED FOR A SPECIAL EVENT. NOW LETS GET TO THE MONEY. EARLY DU 870 IN UNFIRED OR LIKE NEW ARE VERY HARD TO COME BY,MOST WERE USED FOR HUNTING. 30 IN. FULL CHOKE VENT BARRELS ARE HARD TO COME BY,MOST WERE MESSED WITH TO BE USED AT LOCAL TURKEY SHOOTS,NOW EVERYONE NEEDS ONE TO PUT THE GUN BACK TO LIKE IT WAS WHEN IT WAS NEW,YOU CAN'T FIND THAT BARREL ANYWERE IN LIKE NEW CONDITION.$600.00 TO $800.00 WOULD BE THE STARTING POINT ON A SHOTGUN IN THIS CONDITION.SHOW ME ONE SOME WERE LIKE THIS ONE IS,I HAVE SEEN THIS SHOUTGUN AND IT IS LIKE NEW.GOOD LUCK ON SELLING YOUR SHOTGUN.PS.I THINK SOMEONE IS TRYING TO STEAL THIS FOR NOTHING AND IS DEGRADEING THE VALUE OF THE THE SHOTGUN.LIKE SOME OF THE BUYERS AT GUN SHOWS.

Edited by - hakimrifle on 10/17/2004 10:34:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

calamitywood

USA
933 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  01:01:08 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you have a personal interest in this gun, starting member, not that you want to buy it obviously. If you want to help her so much why don't you point her in a direction where she could sell this gun for the money you seem to think it is worth. Or she could place it on the auction site with the reserve at what you suggest and watch someone "jump" right on it. Instead of trying to spank someone on this forum for simply trying to help.
Go to Top of Page

nord
Advanced Member

USA
4865 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Nothing like a good cat fight...

My comments will exclude a reference to any dollar value as the only true measure is when the cash exchanges hands. That being said:

The Remington 870 is a premier utility shotgun. I mean no disrespect when I compare it to something like a Cheverolet sedan. Good, reliable, inexpensive (by comparison), and made in uncounted quantity. Obviously there are different trim levels, but each is still a basic utility product.

I don't mean to imply that there aren't such things as special 870's. There are, but your D/U doesn't quite make it. Fact is, it doesn't come even close! Only very special guns that have loads of custom work can be considered for this category.

Most times a D/U gun will be about equal in value to any other similar 870. Premium components will be factored into added value but will still not add anything above a non-D/U gun with similar accessories.

I guess what I'm trying to politely point out is that a 870 is generally considered a shooter. A very nice 870 is considered a "Very Nice Shooter", but that's about all.

I suppose there's someone out there who collects this type of gun and would pay a premium for such. If so, then I'd have to say that your 870 would be something I'd place on the low side of the "collector" spectrum.

Remember - There's nothing wrong with a very nice Chevy or a very nice 870. The piece will be appreciated for what it is, but don't expect more than that.

Best of Luck,

Nord
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12535 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  09:05:21 AM  Show Profile
NOW I understand why some of our experts refuse to estimate the value of guns.

Perhaps the best answer to Nikie's question is:

"Value is defined as the amount of money someone is willing to pay for a specific item on a specific day. The only sure way to determine the value of an item is to list it at auction with a low starting price & no reserve. Anything else is just a guess."

Neal
Go to Top of Page

duckhunter
Advanced Member

8408 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  09:17:26 AM  Show Profile
With out the box you have a shooter not a collector model. I have been in this business over 40 years and SPECIAL EDITIONS are a big part of my business. If you can get that money for the barrel take it. The "du" gun its self is $300-$400.00 Good luck.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
Go to Top of Page

yachtdave

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  09:59:30 AM  Show Profile
Hello, I have a few Ducks Unlimited shotguns even an 870. 1st I wouldn't parts out the gun, beside what are you going to do with the rest of the gun??? Your du gun is desideable even without the box,but 870's dont bring the top dollar, just because of the model its self. Blue book states 195-335...

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page