GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester02-22 short Patten Date Aug, 29 1899
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lord_of_sporks
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  2:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I have a old rifle I found of my grandparents I have no clue what the value is or anything but it is in fireing condition and on the barrol is the following stamped in

Manufacutred by the Winchester Repeating arms Co- MOD. 02-22 Short --------Winchester-------- New Haven, CONN . U.S.A Patented August, 29,1899 -LONG OR EXTRA LONG- Trade Mark Reg us pat off & pgn

Pardon my spelling please request any other info and i will give I just want a general idea how much this rifle is worth to sell

lord_of_sporks
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again I apoligize for the spelling if that affects anything i will retype it
Go to Top of Page

asa

133 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  8:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The model 1902 was made from 1902 to 1931 with over 600 thousand produced. As the case with most inexpensive .22's (and a lot of other guns and calibers by different makers) they were unserialed. Despite the large number manufactured, they are seldom found in pristine condition. A beginning boys' rifle, they were also used as vermin killers by farmers which means they weren't kept in topnotch condition. For this reason, 90% and up 02's can bring from $200 to $400 from collectors. (Blue Book prices) I collect .22 Winchesters and have a nice 02 that was given to me by my great uncle several years ago. It's in amazingly good shape, with most of the blue, a perfect bore, and just one small chip in the gumwood stock. I'd value it at about $250, but wouldn't sell it anyway-they're hard to find in this shape. Actually, for a gun that had such a high manufacture number, they're hard to find in ANY condition. Hope this helps. -Asa
Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10936 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  01:21:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello LOS...

Your Model 02 was manufactured sometime after 1918 based on the "02" marking versus the earlier "1902" stamp that was used. Values can run from <$100 to as much as $1000+ (for one in 90%+ original condition). One of the reasons that not many of them are seen in the U.S., is that this Model was exported to Australia in very large numbers.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page