GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 1980 remington wingmaster model 870
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mbxbuggy5
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  4:21:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to know.. how much should I sell it?? My buddy bought it in 1980. One month later, he died by car accident. I kept it, never use it. I would like to know how much should I sell it? i appericate it thanks

gotstolefrom

1291 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  5:03:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look at similar auctions, and keep a few things in mind.

There are 870 Wingmasters that are more finely finished than the 870 Express models. I am talking about rich deep blue shine on metal vs. a flat non-shining rougher surface. On the wood, finer wood with close checkering and deep gloss finishes vs lower grade wood and flat poly finishes. The express models seem to have more 3inch and 3.5 inch magnums than the older 2 3/4 inch Wingmasters.

On the used rack you see price tags of about $ 300 for a used Wingmaster, $350+ for less worn to like new.

The express models are sold at Mart type stores new for around $ 250.

Either way, first consider this....Since you don't use it, did your bud have any other hunting or shooting buds, maybe an uncle or nephew that could use it. I don't know your situation, but give it some thought, some of us are very sentamental (can't spellit) about those things.....sometimes far above and away from market prices.

If it is not an 'express' model, and from '80 it may not be, put it up for auction with pictures of like new...I'll be bidding. Some folks leave a fairly high reserve, or start bids near the max expected price...Those may not want to part with it unless it is full bucks. Then they re-list, sometimes with a lower start or reserve. If you just put it up straight, you will usually get a decent market price and the buyer gets a decent deal.

If we do not hang together,
We will most certainly hang separately.
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12813 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  5:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barrel length? Choke? Vent rib? Original box?

When gotstolefrom referred to other auctions, he meant go to the GunBroker home page & do a Smart Search on completed auctions. Look at the prices actually bid, not the asked price.

Neal
Go to Top of Page

mrbruce
Advanced Member

USA
3455 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  5:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$325.00 would be a good starting price if it's one of the old pretty ones, and could possibly go much higher this time of the year.
This all depends on the barrel specs.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
Go to Top of Page

Salvage33

USA
2386 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2004 :  8:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got an older 870 Wingmaster, 30" FC, VR, 2 3/4" chamber, and paid $140 for it 25 years ago, used. It had only been fired five times. The smoothest pump gun I have ever used, and it is now in 95-98% condition.

It is a keeper. As gotstolefrom said, think about it, and if your buddy had family that might want it for sentimental reasons, you might consider giving it to them. If it is as pristeen as you say, depending on barrel and choke, $325 to $375 is a fair price.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page