GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Custom rifle stocks????????
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jimmy Boss

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  12:11:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm toying with the idea of buying one of BOYDs' custom thumbhole stocks for my 300mag ( http://www.boydboys.com ). Have any of you had dealings with this CO. in the past good or bad. AND what are some of the little things I need to look for for in buying a custon stock?....THANKS

JBoss......Fear No Fish/peace through superior firepower/The gun manufacturers are not making a dangerous product.
Bad parents are.

mauser_central

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  02:16:57 AM  Show Profile
I qwn two boyds stocks, 1 98 mauser rifle and a replacment rem 11 shotgun stock set, good quality wood fast shipping. I bought an si and a finished, the SI requires a bit of sanding but they tell you that up front. the finished stocks require fine sanding and finish. i'd buy from them again if the need arose. hmm what to look for well thats tuff just know what type of stock and features you want before you order. hope this helps.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe
~ Jesus Christ [Luke 11:21.6]

Mauser Central

MidwayUSA, if your not signed up for the Eblast alerts you are missing some great deals !
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37320 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  7:46:25 PM  Show Profile
I also have two Boyd's stocks, mine being JRS Classic laminates. Both were essentially drop-in fit. Could have screwed them together with no additional work. I chose to glas bed them and did a little extra sanding. I think they are terrific stocks, and they produce for some of the manufacturers and have for some years. Mine came finished, or at least there is enough epoxy in the laminating process that I did no additional finishing.

Edited by - He Dog on 11/20/2004 7:48:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

remington nut

USA
933 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2004 :  7:54:35 PM  Show Profile
not bad to say about boyds, but i've dealt with rheinhart fajen??? (sp) bought 2 from them , cant remember what grade they were but they were rough finished and inletted, it was up to you for all the pretty stuff... but pleased with the quality of wood... still looking good
Go to Top of Page

Salvage33

USA
2386 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  11:40:45 AM  Show Profile
You might also want to check out www.rifle-stocks.com This is Richards MicroFit Stock...I believe that they bought out Fajen some time back. But they have a mulititude of stocks and grades of wood, laminates, etc. Prices are good, and reputation is great. I don't have one of theirs but a couple of shooting buddies have restocked using them and swear by them.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
Go to Top of Page

river

USA
714 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  11:49:47 AM  Show Profile
shoot one first if you can but there are really nice - you dont want to be on your death bed someday wondering what it would have been like
Go to Top of Page

25-06

USA
602 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  12:39:08 PM  Show Profile
Fajen went out of business some years ago. They sold of as much inventory as possible and the rest was bought by Midways owner. I thinks there was another fellow who bought some of the equipment and is in business in Missouri, but do not remember his name. Boyd's makes good stuff. Another outfit that makes thumbhole stocks is Elk Ridge, if you want some wild colored laminates, they have them.

Go to Top of Page

JustC

15000 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  12:59:37 PM  Show Profile
Put a Boyd JRS on a M77 MKII and it fit great. Great product for the price.

Look at "elk ridge" stocks as well.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
Got Balistics?
Go to Top of Page

ern98

1821 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  2:05:35 PM  Show Profile
I've either owned or installed 7 or 8 of them now, and they are great, especially the JRS classic. If the rifle you want to install on is a standard production piece then it should be just about a drop in fit. It would be up to you to enhance it with glass bedding, pillering, free floating, etc. If the rifle you want it for is custom, semi-custom or re-barreled, then you should be aware that you may have to open up the barrel channel and do final fit sorts of things. Not really a big deal, but you had better own at least a dremmel with an assortment of cutting and sanding bits. Richards micro fit is local to me, his products are great also. But, they do require more fitting then Boyds. If I want better quality wood I go with Richard's, if plain jane or basic laminate is the need I buy Boyd's. Another note, if you do the outside finish work, then you should always know what to use to do touch ups and re-works. This removes alot of mystry when trying to bring a nice stock back to it's best.
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8979 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  2:35:38 PM  Show Profile
Some brief bits of history:

Reinhart Fajen was a stockmaker from Warsaw Missouri. He created a fairly sizable custom stockmaking/fitting company that was world renowned for quality. Just down the road was another custom stocking company named Bishop. Both companies existed nicely, making fine stocks available in various forms to the general public as well as private manufacturers. Some time in the 80's, the two combined to become a single company and shortly after that, Larry Potterfield (owner of Midway) bought that company and held it under the umbrella company of Battenfeld Technologies.

Potterfield built a state-of-the-art, CNC stockmaking factory in Missouri hoping to capitalize on the names of both the Bishop Co. and Reinhart Fajen. As has happened in the near past with the accumulation of too many small companies, his eyes were bigger than his stomach and he had to shutter the operation of Fajen Stocks. Battenfeld Technologies retains some of the machines to produce some plywood stocks under the name Fajen mostly for Mausers and 10/22's. The rest of the machines and inventory were sold. The man that ran Fajen's custom shop under Larry Potterfield, bought some of the machines and set up his own semi-custom/custom stockmaking company:

Show-Me Gunstocks
Route 3 South
Wanta Linga
Warsaw, MO 65355
Phone: 660-438-4568
Fax: 660-438-4569

Elk Ridge Stocks, as well as several other distributors,
buy their product (semi-inlet stocks) from Richard's Microfit Gunstocks, Inc. This has caused Shawnie Tools (Elk Ridge) no undo amount of trouble when she over promised delivery times. She had to reorganize and nearly lost her business. She also runs ReamerRentals and Shawnie Tools. There is a scope company also but I think that they are another supplier working with Shawnie, I'm not 100% on this.

The big winner-supplier in all of this mess is Rutland Plywood since they create the multi-color plywood blanks that the others use to machine plywood stocks.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

Jimmy Boss

USA
1760 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  7:01:39 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replys. They were a big help to me. I will be ordering a ross thumbhole tomarrow from Boyds. Again Thanks to all that replyed

JBoss......Fear No Fish/peace through superior firepower/The gun manufacturers are not making a dangerous product.
Bad parents are.
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2889 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  10:27:06 PM  Show Profile
Great info nononsense...I really miss cigaretteen. Bought my first stock from them about 1962.You couldn't ask for a better company. I'm going to contact Show-Me Gunstocks and see what they have to offer.Thanks again!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37320 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  11:02:11 PM  Show Profile
I got one of the very last of the Fajen stocks, just before Batten field put it down the tubes. The current company can be found by googling Fajen, but as stated above, they make mostly stocks for sporterizing Mausers.
Go to Top of Page

Hangfire
Advanced Member

2889 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2004 :  11:14:22 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

I got one of the very last of the Fajen stocks, just before Batten field put it down the tubes. The current company can be found by googling Fajen, but as stated above, they make mostly stocks for sporterizing Mausers.

Oh yeah?...Well,I bet my last one was better than yours!!!!

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page