GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Remington 550-1 HELP PLEASE !
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

agoetz2005

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  12:28:47 AM  Show Profile
Hello all -

I just recieved a Remington Model 550-1 .22Cal S L and LR, as a gift from my fiance's dad. He was cleaning an attic in NY and found this and an old Savage he gave to me.

Gun looks almost new. Wood is 95%-97%, oil finished, I gave it a good rub with some Birchwood/Casey Stock sheen and conditioner. It is a beautiful piece, nice coloring. Metal is 93%-96% depending on opinion. The only marks are a few dings smaller than the tip of a sewing needle around the front sight. I dunno maybe someone tried to remove it. I also broke the gun down, cleaned the Floating chamber? thats what the field manual said, and oiled everything with Hoppe's no 9, and Birchwood casey, "sheaths"

Here are some Pictures. *Note* I added the Tasco World Class 3-9x40 after I got it. I had to remove the rear sight, but it is all there intact and undamaged. I have it wrapped up with alittle oil on it to keep it fresh." The gun is unaltered in iron or wood. no cracks dings, extra screw holes or anything. The scope mounts are "tip off"

The Code on the barrel says "xB"
This dates it at Dec. of 1955. According to Rem. they were produced from 1941-1970

My 2 questions are.

1.- In unmodified condition with the percentages I specified, what could I expect in value should I ever need to sell it?

2.- How does the rifle group? I haven't read much on it. It looks like a fun little gun.

Thank you in advance for your replies
Andrew

Ray B
Advanced Member

9343 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  01:57:23 AM  Show Profile
I have one virtually identical to yours, that I inherited from my dad. The floating chamber was an early idea so the action would function with no adjustment to S,L,& LR cartridges. I don't recall shooting anything but long rifle in it, so it's kind of a useless option, but it's there incase I ever come across a box of shorts. I don't know what the value of it, but I'd guess it's somewhere in the $150-$200 range. As for accuracy, it's adequate for hitting a squirrels head at about 20 yards, but I wouldn't put it up against my M52, or even my Marlin 1897T in a shooting match. It's really good for what it was designed to do- your basic fun 22 plinking and not too serious hunting.
Go to Top of Page

Henry0Reilly
Advanced Member

USA
13717 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  05:29:55 AM  Show Profile
http://www.GunBroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=26246425

You might keep an eye on this one and see what it brings. Condition isn't as good as yours, but it'll give you a ball park.

Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Not a member at the auction? Join GunBroker at this link!
Go to Top of Page

TWalker

1817 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2004 :  7:59:56 PM  Show Profile
You've got yourself a nice rifle. Congratulations. Enjoy shooting it. I'd say the value without scope to be about $175-$200 in the condition you describe. You might want to check the way you have the scope mounted. Usually the manufacturers markings go down toward the receiver. Remove the cap on top where you adjust the scope. If it is marked R or L, you need to rotate the scope so up or down arrows are on top. It makes it easier to adjust, less confusion.
Go to Top of Page

remingtongeo

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2004 :  11:35:28 PM  Show Profile
I collect Remington 22s. The 550 is my favorite semi auto 22. It functions flawlessly with long rifle, longs and shorts. I even had one that shot CB caps. I think it holds 22 or 23 shorts and shoots all day long with them.

Price wise they go for 150-175 in excellent condition. I picked up my last one for 140 and it was perfect.

The models are a 550 (no deflector), 550-I, 550-II, 550-P (peep site) and a 55-2G (gallery, 22 short only). I was shooting my 550, which slings brass all over the place, and got one caught between my face and my glasses. OUCH

I think it's one of the most accurate semi-auto hunting rifles I've ever shot. It isn't a heavy barrel custom target rifle and shouldn't be compaired to one. It will keep up with any off the rack 22 hunting rifle past or present.

Enjoy shooting it. Buy a lot of shorts, because once you get started it's hard to stop.

Gun controll is a good eye and a steady hand.
NRA instructor and coach.
Go to Top of Page

Billy Taylor
Starting Member

3 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  6:58:39 PM  Show Profile
My first gun to ever shoot was my dads old 550-1 we practiced by shooting the empties after sticking them down on a barb on the fence and about 30 yards, that was many years ago, and I have own countless 22s since then and have several now, but when the 22 shooting gets serious , I lay aside the ruger 10-22 and the browning lever and others that I have and bring out dads old remington, bring on any auto loader and lets shoot some empties off the fence. yours is very nice, I have 8 now in perfect condition like yours, and will continue to buy them as long as I can find them. I pay from 140 to 200 Im looking for one that was called a ratshot special that was smooth bore, if any body has one let me know, As you can tell I hold these dear to heart , so no offence at anyone elses gun. Bill
Go to Top of Page

agoetz2005

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  01:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Well the scope and rings we're compliments of Grandma. She lives in Dundee Mi. and is about 3 min from the Cabelas there.

Since above pictures I have completely dis-assembled the gun via a diagram/schematic/and written instructions. all parts seem to be in extra fine order and function. now she slides back with barely a sound. Also the stock has recieved 3 diluted coats of Tru Oil, and 0000 Polished. As soon as I get these firs couple weeks of the first semester behind me I'll get to the range

Thanks all
Andrew
Go to Top of Page

vgeidl
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  2:26:51 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by agoetz2005

Well the scope and rings we're compliments of Grandma. She lives in Dundee Mi. and is about 3 min from the Cabelas there.

Since above pictures I have completely dis-assembled the gun via a diagram/schematic/and written instructions. all parts seem to be in extra fine order and function. now she slides back with barely a sound. Also the stock has recieved 3 diluted coats of Tru Oil, and 0000 Polished. As soon as I get these firs couple weeks of the first semester behind me I'll get to the range

Thanks all
Andrew

quote:

Where did you get the schematics/diagrams/written instructions for the Remington 550-1 semi-automatic 22?

Edited by - vgeidl on 09/30/2005 2:35:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

vgeidl
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  2:37:39 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for schematics, parts diagrams, assembly/disassembly instructions for an old Remington 550-1 semiauto 22.
Go to Top of Page

WIN 1894

USA
727 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  12:04:56 PM  Show Profile
I have copies of alot of these older Remington Rifles if interested.

Go to Top of Page

jepmep
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  09:49:55 AM  Show Profile
I also have a 550-1. I would like to put a scope on it but am having trouble finding a mount. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Ray B
Advanced Member

9343 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2006 :  12:02:23 PM  Show Profile
I have a 550-1 that has a scope on it. To do so I had a gunsmith drill/tap the receiver for Weaver Bases. The other work involved was machining a notch in the ejection port cover, so teh front base would fit against the receiver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page