GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 742 Woodsmaster problems
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bige37083
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  8:54:16 PM  Show Profile
I have a question. I deer hunt with a Remington Woodsmaster 742 .30-06. I'm having a problem with spent shells jamming the action. I'm assuming this is a gas port problem, but hey, i'm no expert for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Eric P.

DBV

USA
1442 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  9:25:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a 7400 on order which is the new version of your gun. I've done a lot of reading on these things. Apparently the chambers are very prone to corrosion and if you don't keep them 100% clean all the time this -- over time -- will result in the cases sticking the way yours is. I'd get in there with a brush and solvent and scrub, scrub, scrub..............and scrub some more. Get that action and chamber squeaky clean and lightly oiled and I suspect your problem will be solved. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

allechalley

USA
893 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:02:11 PM  Show Profile
We had this years ago and DBV is correct. Make sure also that if this happens in cold (like below 30) to thoroughly clean the whole action of gun oil, espec. if it was Rem Oil and lube with Break Free, TriFlo or other Teflon based lube. The trouble we had was the gun oil would thicken just enough to slow the action down. I had the same thing on a Beretta 390. Was told by company rep to hose down with Break Free. let sit a while and shoot. Worked A1 ever since.
Go to Top of Page

RadCat

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  10:43:11 PM  Show Profile
I bought my 742 BDL (30-06) in 1974 and used it in all kinds of weather including very cold Maine, Vermont and upstate New York temperatures. Never failed. Always used Triflow, Break-free or Hoppe's oil, after cleaning. Put it away for ten years or so, dusted it off, and went back to shooting like new. Moral of the story is: keep it clean and well lubed, and it will love you back.
Go to Top of Page

bige37083
Starting Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  11:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks guys. I sort of suspected that, too. My father-in-law gave me the gun last year. He bought it in 1974 I think. I cleaned it last year when I first got it. I'll give it a thorough working over.
Go to Top of Page

deerhntr

USA
1745 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  01:30:54 AM  Show Profile
You have a Dirty chamber...I had the same problem with a used 742 I bought last year,I Pulled the barrel and scrubbed the chamber. It shoots fine now after over a hundred rounds or so.

-------------------------

Go to Top of Page

Ray B
Advanced Member

9343 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2005 :  01:03:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure exacly how your rifle is jamming. My dad's 740 will jam on occasion if reloads are used that don't cause the gas system pressure to be high enough. this will be because he was using some of the plinking loads, loaded for one of the bolt '06s. the symptoms are the bolt doesn't go quite far enough back to eject the spent case and pickup a loaded one from the magazine. If hand loads are used, the 740/742 gas system does seem to have a fairly narrow band of optimum pressure. Too mild or too hot and problems develop.
Go to Top of Page

LDThornton
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  11:51:20 PM  Show Profile
All of the above suggestions are great unless you have a worn ejector then the ejector will need replaced. Just my .02 cents worth.

So many auctions so little money.
Go to Top of Page

Supreme One
Advanced Member

USA
2655 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  11:59:08 PM  Show Profile
Hello, the Remington 740/742 has soft rails (what the bolt travels on) and it can cause excessive up and down movement of the bolt. This causes the shell to fall from the extractor and if not properly maintained it can cause the locking lugs on the bolt to dig into the top of the receiver totally ruining the gun. Have it checked out if you don't know what to look for or where to look for it.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
- .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
sound
Go to Top of Page

old single shots
Advanced Member

3125 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  05:51:57 AM  Show Profile
As Supreme One said.The 742 was known to have soft rails.At one time Remington would replace the receiver.They have long since run out of them.If this is your problem,the gun is pretty much useless.It may also be only a lubrication problem.Have a gunsmith look at it.In my area most dealers will not take a 742 in trade because of the known rail problem.Hope your problem is not that serious.p.s.The rails in the receiver should look smooth and straight.If they look rough and chewed up that is probably the problem.

Edited by - old single shots on 01/21/2005 05:55:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

TimothyP
Starting Member

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  1:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Have a gunsmith disassemble your 742 and polish the chamber, and inspect the bolt face to make sure the extractor recess in the bolt face is not cracked or chipped. If the bolt head is OK, then the chamber polishing will probably correct the ejection/extraction problem. Rusty chambers in 742's is a real problem unless max maintenance is performed. Remember the dog-legged chamber brush that came with the gun? Buy a new one and use it religiously if the rifle is fired.

TP Smith-Lyon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page