GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Marbles Gamegetter Legality
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8705 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  12:02:08 PM  Show Profile
Does any one know the laws concerning old Marbles Gamegetter guns? If they have 15" barrels are they legal to own? It's pretty tough to find 2" 410 shells!!!
How about the H&R "Handi-gun" 410? while we're on the subject....
Thanks for your help,
Ed

Ed Konopasek

gearheaddad
Advanced Member

8705 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  12:15:04 PM  Show Profile
Upon further review, it is stamped 44&410 2"1/2 The 1/2 looks as if it was "restamped at a later date...

Ed Konopasek
Go to Top of Page

richbug
Advanced Member

3544 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  12:17:02 PM  Show Profile
quite possibly reamed out to 2 1/2" later. I have one 2" 410 in my ammo collection.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
Go to Top of Page

cody45

1358 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  1:31:50 PM  Show Profile
I believe you will find the gamegetter on the fed list of curios and relic s and therefore legal to own. at least that is my understanding.

Go to Top of Page

IAMACLONE_2
Advanced Member

USA
4633 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2005 :  4:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Marbels "Gamegetter's" with barrels of less than 18" is a class 3 NFA item & requires NFA registeration/transfer $ $200 tax stamp.

If the barrel is over 18" it is considered a title 1 item, a normal firearm

A H&R Handigun, "if I'm correct, is a revoler", with no buttstock, and also would be considered a title 1 weapon, normal firearm.
Walte
Go to Top of Page

Idaho G

139 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2005 :  8:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you have a Marble's Game Getter Model 1908.
There is a good article on them in "The 2004 Standard Catalog of Firearms" By Ned Schwing on page 695. Also on page 531 The H&R Handy-Gun single shot pistols, both rifled and smoothbore in .410 and 28 Gauge. The NFA rules apply to the pistols that are smoothbore with 8" or 12.25" barrels
I own a Marble's Game Getter Model 1921 which I purchased from the factory in 1972. It has 15 inch barrels, and I have the ATF Form 4 with the $5.00 stamp attached. I believe that at that time it was not considered a machine gun, but "any other weapon" and so the tax was $5 and not $200. Things may have changed since then. (Marble's made 243 GG's from left over parts in the early 1960's.)
I have seen only one other legal GG with the paperwork, and that one was transferred to the individual in 1945. To transfer one I would think that you might have to go through a class 3 dealer.
If you have one that is not registered, it is probably subject to confiscation, and a fine or jail. The only way to make it legal is to register it during an amnesty period, which hasn't happened for some time. A lot of people who owned legal GG's are very old or dead, and a lot of heirs have these guns, and don't know what to do with them. Sorryto have rambled on, but I hope this helps.

Go to Top of Page

HerbOne
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  7:23:34 PM  Show Profile
It is possible to have a set of new barells made for these guns. Check with your local gunshop or gunsmith. I have made sets in the past both in 44-40/.410 and .38 special for the 1908 model. If you decide to have a set made, bring/send just the barrels in to be reworked.

Parts is parts, they is just sometimes the wrong ones...
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19006 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  7:34:23 PM  Show Profile
If this issue has not been resolved after nearly five years then I doubt that it ever will be.

Edited by - mark christian on 12/31/2009 7:35:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

countryfarmer
Advanced Member

USA
3741 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:05:54 PM  Show Profile
Marble's Game Getter, Firearms, with a combination of .44 cal. or .410 gauge smooth bore and .22 cal.
barrels, both lst and 2nd models, with barrel lengths of less than 18", mfd. by the Marble Arms
Corporation of Gladstone, MI, prior to 1943.

From the ATF curio relic list section IV Just thought I'd post this for future reference

Edited by - countryfarmer on 12/31/2009 10:06:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

givette
Advanced Member

11180 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by cody45

I believe you will find the gamegetter on the fed list of curios and relic s and therefore legal to own. at least that is my understanding.

Item in blue above, if you are indicating you can own it (through casual sale, etc) because of C&R status, you may have to dig further!

The Thompson M1A and Thompson 1921/1927's are also completely qualified/listed as C&R firearms! Same as the Browning Automatic Rifle!

We must always ask ourselves (and find out) if it has been removed from the NFA list! The C&R list simply allows a C&R FFL to do a direct purchase of Tommyguns, B.A.R.'s etc*. It may still be an NFA item! To answer your question, yes, older firearms can qualify to be on both lists simultaneously.

Side question: Can a FFL that deals with NFA items ship NFA items via USPS using form 1508? Thanks, Joe

*After all NFA procedures have been met

Edited by - givette on 01/01/2010 11:13:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

mark christian
Administrator

Panama
19006 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  11:17:07 AM  Show Profile
The Game Getters are Curio and Relics, but have not been removed from the restrictions of the National Firearms Act. To be legal the firearm in question would have to have been registered before the end of the 1968 amnesty for National Firearms Act weapons. If it was not registered at the close of the amnesty then it cannot be registered now. The vast majority of C&R firearms removed from the NFA are various types of pistols fitted with shoulder stocks and assorted "Trapper" type rifles with barrels under 16 inches.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page