GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Frame melt point laws??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

asop

2050 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  2:09:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recently received some literature from EAA. A footnote stated "Alloy models can not be sold in Ca., SC., Wi. etc., etc. with frame melt point laws". Never heard of such a thing. Anyone have input?

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15428 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  2:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't recall the specifics? In the past there were a number of manufacturers producing inexpensive firearms, with zinc diecast, "potmetal" receivers/frames. To put them out of business a number of states passed bogus laws regulating the melting point of receivers/frames. Since the melting point of the zinc/potmetal used in these handguns is lower them aluminum/steel it only affected them. And the poor people that bought them and needed them most for personal protection.

Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12277 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2005 :  3:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad, but true. Specific state laws concerning melting points, etc. can be found in State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms (ATF-P5300.5).

I can only recall one gun sold in this country in the last 30 years that had a zinc alloy frame (a semi-auto handgun that came with a set of interchangeable barrel/slides, the name escapes me.) The problem is, these laws pre-date the introduction of composition frames, as used in Glocks & many other semi-auto handguns. Such is the law of unintended consequences.

Neal

"Just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page