GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Winchester Model 72, How old is it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TWalker

1808 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  10:54:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a .22 Winchester Model 72 yesterday and was wondering about how old it is. It has a straight bolt with a moderate turn-down, says Patent Pending on the barrel, and has an oval on both barrel and receiver with WP inside. Stock is smooth walnut. Condition of wood is excellent and metal is good with some patina. The rear sight looks like an original peep sight. Thanks for any information.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  12:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not serially numbered. From 1938 to 1943, 40,566 were made. After World War 11 an additional 120,434 rifles were made from 1946 to 1949. A total of somewhat over 161,412 models 72 and 72-A were made...again....NO SERIAL NUMBERS WERE APPLIED TO ANY OF THE 72's..........

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

Bert H.

USA
10919 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  12:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello TWalker,

The Model 72 was introduced in March of 1938, and the first rifles were delivered to the factory warehouse on April 18th, 1938. It was discontinued at the end of 1959. Typical values run in the $100 - $250 range (depending upon the graded condition).

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
Go to Top of Page

OleDuk

USA
1255 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2005 :  9:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been sorta curious about this also regarding DOMs. It seems to me that if the barrel is marked patent pending that would indicate early manufacture. I have a coupla Win.22's that have that mark and one or two that don't mention patents at all. Any body got any remarks?
OleDuk

"Disperse you Rebels; Damn you,throw down your arms and disperse!"
British Major John Pitcairn, April 19, 1775. He fell at Bunker Hill two months later.
Go to Top of Page

woodshermit
Advanced Member

USA
3730 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  2:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Model 72A in mint condition which does not have Pat Pend on the barrel. You may very well be correct, OleDuk, in your observation regarding barrel markings. Anyone who is seriously interested in single shot Winchester 22's should look for the Houze book, To The Dreams Of Youth. The book goes into much detail regarding the history, dates of manufacture, markings, etc. on the single shot Winchesters. The oval which TWalker describes is a proof mark, of course. A factory peep sight makes it a bit more valuable. Personally, I think the 72's are undervalued, especially since they were the only bolt action 22s Winchester manufactured with a tubular magazine. Happy shooting!
Go to Top of Page

TWalker

1808 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2005 :  5:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On closer inspection with a magnifying glass, I've found two markings I'd like to know about. Both are on the receiver rails, one on each side of the opening where shells are ejected. On the right is the letter "M" and what looks like a lightly stamped "C." On the left is some type of proof mark that looks to me like a very small"X" or maybe it's a star? Anyone have ideas or information on these? Thanks for replies so far and any new ones as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page