GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 .600 overkill?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

375hh
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  9:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does any one have any info on the .600 overkill. I just herd about it in a magazine.

heavyiron

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  11:19:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about it?

Even professional ivory hunters considered the 600 Nitro Express as overkill for anything but emergency use.

The 600 Nitro is usually found only in double rifles. A firm in Germany did make a bolt action. However, despite its reputatin only a small number of rifles have been made in this caliber.

Double rifles were on the order of 16 pounds so they were not very popular and were not carried about much in the field. These rifles were usually toted by carriers as backups medicine.

According to John Taylor, professional hunter, a head shot on an elphant that missed the brain would still knock the elephant down for 30 minutes or longer as reported.

However, the 600 NE is more or less obsolete. A few custom rifles are still turned out by H&H, even though they said they made their last one some time ago.

The 600 NE has been eclipsed by the 700 NE, 460 Weatherby, 475 A&M Magnum, 585 Nyati, 729 Jongmans, and 577 Tyrannosaur. These cartridges provide even more overkill. The 577 Tyrannosaur will jin up over 10,000 ft-lb and the 729 Jongmans will produce about 12,000 ft-lb. This rig is well beyond most persons capablity to withstand recoil and is needlessly powerful.

Regards,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8996 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2005 :  11:56:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
375hh,

This is an article about the .600 OK:

.600 OK

Cartridges pictured are: left to right - the .500 AHR, the .585 AHR and the .600 OK.
Click on image for larger view.

History of the .600 Overkill Cartridge by Dr. Robert L. Garnick

The .600 Overkill was conceived specifically as the most powerful cartridge that could be chambered and fired in a modified CZ550 action to produce a firearm of acceptable weight (12-13 lbs) for the hunting of dangerous game. Unlike the .50 BMG cartridges and their variants (which have been converted into .600 caliber), the .600 Overkill was specifically designed as a sporting cartridge whose lineage can be directly traced to the widely accepted Big Bore British NE cartridges such as the .577 NE and .600NE. While conceptually similar to a .600NE with the rim removed and a magnum belt added, the reality is that as far as the inventor knows, this cartridge design has never been previously considered. This most probably is due to the difficulties inherent in adopting bolt action rifles to the rimmed .600 NE caliber. The .600 Overkill cartridge was designed to produce a muzzle velocity of 2400 fps with a 900-gr Woodleigh bullet for well over 10,000 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. The cartridge was the result of the inventors somewhat unhappy experiences with converting a CZ550 from .416 Rigby into a 585 NYATI. These experiences, particularly with the resolution of deficiencies in the NYATI case design served as a basis for the .600 Overkill. The .600 overkill was based in turn on the observation that 585 Nyati basic brass (cylindrical .577NE brass with the rim removed) uses a .640 rim diameter and is 3.25 inches long would just fit a .620 Woodleigh, 900 gr bullet. Unfortunately, this combination would not allow for a shoulder to be produced for head spacing and thus the headspace of the .600 Overkill could only be accomplished by the addition of a belt. The case OAL was reduced to 3.00 inches in order to produce a COL of 3.600 using the woodleigh 900-gr bullets. This proved to fit the CZ 550 magnum action and resulted in smooth feeding. Lathe turned brass cases were produced early in July 2002 to test the feasibility of the design and met with a great deal of enthusiasm amongst members of the Big Bore Forum at www.accuratereloading.com . Many of these members have extensive big bore rifle building experience as well as considerable experience in hunting dangerous game with .50 and .600 caliber rifles. One of these members was reportedly a 16-year-old firearms enthusiast from Sweden (who posted as OVERKILL) who was bent on a quest to own the world’s most powerful weapon for hunting Swedish elge(moose) and bears. In a good-natured jest, the name .600 Overkill was given to this cartridge and endorsed by the forum members. Due to his age OVERKILL was proscribed from owning such a weapon. Nevertheless, seven members of this forum are now in the process of building .600 Overkill rifles.

Based on the Lathe turned cases, a chambering reamer was produced by PTG and 3 groove .600(1:20) barrels produced by Pac-Nor. Dieter Horneber is producing the brass for the .600 Overkill in Germany and American Hunting Rifles (AHR) has done the R&D on adapting the CZ550 action to this cartridge. AHR is confident that they can build completed rifles to these exacting standards. The first of these completed rifles is expected to be available in Jan/Feb 2003.

.500 AHR/ .585 AHR/ .600 OK.

Go to Top of Page

Tailgunner1954
Advanced Member

7243 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  05:53:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can tell you this, it's a very impressive round to hold in your hand, and yes, I have a sample cartridge provided by Doc Garnick.
Recoil is said (by those that have built/fired them) to be milder than the 600NE due to the stock design and rifle weight. At this time I believe that about 5 rifles have been completed by the AR posters (plus any done by AHR).

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
Go to Top of Page

Iconoclast
Advanced Member

USA
13106 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  07:47:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nononsense:
"The .600 Overkill was conceived specifically as the most powerful cartridge that could be chambered and fired in a modified CZ550 action to produce a firearm of acceptable weight (12-13 lbs) for the hunting of dangerous game."

Yeah, but . . . when was the last time anyone saw a T-Rex outside of a museum?

"Overkill," indeed!

Still, thanks for the informative responses, gents!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
Go to Top of Page

375hh
Starting Member

39 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  09:34:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is no such thing as overkill i mean come on now the animal is just as dead as if you hit it with a larger or smaller caliber rifle.
Go to Top of Page

Tailgunner1954
Advanced Member

7243 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  11:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While that is true for primary/hunting cartridges, there's no substute for bullet mass & energy when it comes to a "charge stopping"/backup cartridge, which is where the 577 T-Rex and 600 OK class cartridges come into use.
My one buddy used to hunt Kodiaks with a 300H&H, but when he had a client doing the hunting he always packed a 375H&H for the added charge stopping ability.

Go to Top of Page

staind460

USA
941 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  7:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have never heard of any of the cartridges mentioned here (except for the NE rounds) can anyone direct me towards a source that shows what they look like and how they perform etc

thanks

i personaly do not beleive that you need to carry an anti tank rifle for personal protection.

it doesn't matter how big your gun is, it's what you do with it when it counts :)

the 1911 is proof that God loves guns
Go to Top of Page

Tailgunner1954
Advanced Member

7243 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  8:34:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.accuratereloading.com
Look for the reloading data link off the main page.

Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2005 :  8:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi staind460,

I never heard of the 600 OK either, so don't feel bad. Apparently, it is strictly a wildcat under development proposition at this point and not a commercial venture yet. I would be interested to hear an update on how many of the original rifles were actually produced and tested since the first ones were supposed to be ready in 2003.

The best source of information that I know of is: Cartridges of the World, 10th edition, by Frank Barnes. All of the cartridges mentioned with the exception of 600 OK will be listed in this reference.

Regards,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page