GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Bolt Action Slug guns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psutjc87
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  10:51:33 AM  Show Profile
I am currently researching Bolt action slug guns for the upcoming deer season. My search finds 3 mfg's Mossburg, Savage, Browning. I am an a-bolt fan, have several rifles, but the a-bolt is no longer mfg'd by browning. Any thoughts on a good slug gun, preferrably the a-bolt and where I might begin to look for one? They dont seem to be available anywhere. Does this tell me that they were as good as what folks are telling me?

t.

nononsense

8959 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  11:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Tim,

Here is the premium bolt action slug shotgun:

Tar-Hunt RSG Series Slug Guns

Professional RSG-12, Elite RSG-16 and Mountaineer RSG-20

Operation Right or left-handed bolt action.

Features Cocked indicator and muzzle brake.

No iron sights.

Capacity One round chambered with one round down in blind magazine.

Two rounds total capacity.

Metal Finish Black matte metal finish.

Overall Length Approximately 43 inches.

Weight (Bare) Approximately 7-1/4 to 8 lbs depending upon gauge.

Barrel Lengh Most models approximately 23 inches.

Twist RSG-20; 1-23, RSG-16; 1-30, RSG-12; 1-28.

Stock Black epoxy painted McMillan fiberglass stock.

Length of Pull 13-1/2 inches.

Trigger Single stage (3-1/2 to 4-1/2 lbs) with Remington style Safety.

Standard Specifications

Professional, Elite and Mountaineer Models
With standard RSG appointments as described above ............................................ $2495.00

Matchless Model
Standard RSG appointments with high gloss metal finish ....................................... $2745.00

Peerless Model
Standard RSG appointments with
NP-3 (Nickel/Teflon) metal finish by Robar and Jewell trigger .............................. $3190.00

We attempt to keep a minimum number of Mountaineer RSG-20, Elite RSG-16 and Professional RSG-12 models on hand and available for immediate delivery.

The Tar-Hunt RSG series of rifled barrel slug guns is comprised of three models, the Mountaineer RSG-20 in 20 gauge, the Elite RSG-16 in 16 gauge and the Professional RSG-12 in 12 gauge.

Each is truly state-of-the-art in its design and performance.

The RSG is a custom two-lug bolt action firearm, drilled and tapped for standard Leupold windage or Weaver bases. The design standardly boasts a glass bedded barreled action with a free-floating, threaded-in heavy wall, fully rifled Shaw barrel in a black matte finish. A black McMillan fiberglass stock and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad complete the package. Chambered for 3” slugs (RSG-20 & RSG-12) or 2-3/4” slugs (RSG-16), all models carry a limited lifetime warranty, excluding abuse.

Standard Configuration - All Gauges
Black McMillan Stock & Black Matte Metal Barrel Finish
(Scope and Rings Available Separately)

http://www.tarhunt.com/tarhunt/

Go to Top of Page

codenamepaul
Advanced Member

3186 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  4:59:00 PM  Show Profile
I have a Mossberg 695. It is good for a solid group at 50 (snowmen)and 100 yds (<3") for a far cry less than the premium slug gun being advertised.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my gun.
Go to Top of Page

drewto

135 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  6:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Hello:
I too jumped through the bolt action slug gun hoops several years ago. Of the three you are looking at the Browning is the best. The Mossberg's, & Savages have their draw backs, which I can't recall the specifics on at this time. 98% Brownings sell for $750 to $1000, while the worn ones are in the $400 to $600 range. Sorry I can't give you specifics, I had read a very detailed report on all three manufacturers models, and the Browning came out on top for quality. Accuracy for the three was very close, and I think the Savage had some cycling problems. I hunt in Iowa and with our split 5 & 8 day deer seasons, it just became impractical to consider buying the Browning. Although I did find several on Gun Broker over a 4-5 month search period. The Tar-Hunt is an incredible shot gun (boasting rifle like accuracy), but if I couldn't justify the cost of a Browning, then the Tar-Hunt was out of the question. If you locate a Browning remember that they were offered in a partially rifled barrel model, and a full rifled barrel (the latter tested much better). I have no doubt that the Mossberg is capable of sub 3" groups at 100 yards, and probably better if you can match shell to gun. The Mossberg that I tested was not fond of 3" shells, but shot very well with Federal Premium 2 3/4" slugs. After shooting a smooth bore for years, I finally purchased a $200 pot metal Remington pump slug gun, mounted a Leupold Vari X III scope, lightened the trigger a little, and shot exceptionally well (sub 2" groups at 100 yards). Not to discourage you from your bolt gun search, I'd still purchase the Browing. Keep checking Gun Broker . . . there's one out there. You might want to list your request in the "WANTED" Forum. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

DONDALINGER

USA
1127 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  6:25:00 PM  Show Profile
I have to admit, the ABolt slug gun was one beautiful gun, I just could not get off $800 for a new one. I was told Browning discontinued it due to low sales. I ended up buying the Mossberg 695. Fully rifled,ported barrel and scoped it. It is extremely accurate and has been 100% reliable. It has a 2 shot removable magazine. You have to be careful when loading the magazine that the shells are all the way back or it will not feed right. Marlin also made a bolt slug gun called the Slugmaster(model 512) I think. I heard it was not very accurate and I think they discontinued it also. I think I read somewhere the Savage has a built in magazine and feeding problems. The TarHunt is a fine gun if you can afford it. Be careful buying a used Mossberg, some were recalled for something. Mine was one of the first ones made and was not recalled. The recall was for a certain set of serial #'s. A slug is devastating on a whitetail.

"They call me Don. Dr. Jason Donald Dalinger."
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8959 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2005 :  6:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Tim,

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us with your last post but I found the article that details out these 4 bolt action rifled shotguns.

I used the Tar-Hunt a few years ago for some specialty target shooting and I took it hunting in the midwest a few times. But the majority of my slug hunting was done with an 870 and a Hastings Paradox full rifled barrel. Excellent accuracy and a reasonable price.

Here's the article:

Browning Wins Bolt-Action Slug-Gun Shoot-out

At $800, the A-Bolt costs more than twice as much as guns from Marlin, Mossberg, and Savage. But in our view, the extra dollars deliver extra performance.

Anchored on a Protektor bench rest, each
gun was zeroed at 50 yards until it could
shoot one-hole groups, then was tested at
100, firing five five-shot groups at five-bull
Visible Impact series targets.

If your formative years as a deer hunter were spent east of the Mississippi, chances are you knew someone who started with a slug-loaded, inexpensive bolt-action shotgun—or maybe you toted one. Seems like there was always somebody serving an apprenticeship with a Polychoked Mossberg 195, Marlin 55, J.C. Higgins, Stevens, or Sears 140 bolt gun.

Back then turnbolt shotguns were “starters” reserved for kids—stepping stones to Ithaca or Remington pumps or autoloaders. Or they were multi-purpose ordnance used by folks who weren’t as serious about deer guns as they were in simply having something in the truck or behind the farmhouse door that could be of use in all seasons.

The bolts of those days were at the lower end of the shotgun spectrum. But you’ve also got to remember that shotguns and slugs per se weren’t accurate back then, either. Put three out of five in a gallon can at 40 paces and you had a tackdriver. Firepower had far more appeal and usefulness than that kind of accuracy.

But as I say, that was then. This is now. Today’s bolt-action slug guns are definitely not reinventions of the wheel. Comparisons between them and yesterday’s simple actions are about as valid as racing the Spirit of St. Louis against a Stealth bomber. Slug shooting has evolved eons in the last 10 years.

And, in a way, it was inevitable that the bolt-action gun would re-emerge in this Renaissance of slug shooting. After all, like arrow speed in archery, lane grip in bowling and shaft flex in golf, accuracy has become the Holy Grail of shotgun slug shooting.

Go to a benchrest rifle match and look at what the competitors are shooting. Remember, these are the test pilots of the firearms industry. These guys are perfectionists. They’re apt to retire a gun if they can’t cover its last five-shot group with a dime. What do they shoot? Bolt actions and single shots. No exceptions. Show up with any other action and be prepared for snickers, smirks, and an out-of-the-money finish.

Anybody knowledgeable about slug guns knows that the solid front lock-up and sheer receiver mass that is so critical in rifle accuracy is overkill for slug guns. But enthusiasm often overcomes common sense. Thus the hottest ticket in slug-gun shooting is the bolt-action.

There are now four modern production bolt-action rifled barrel slug guns on the market; “modern” being the operative word here. These are the $800 Browning A-Bolt, the $380 Savage 210 MasterShot, the $350 Marlin 512 Slugmaster and the $293 Mossberg 695. In side-by-side comparison the Browning A-Bolt shotgun is the class of the bolt-action, rifled-barrel slug-gun field. Metal-to-wood fit, wood quality, finish, workmanship, and function are head and shoulders above the other bolt guns. But then it ought to be with an $800-plus price tag.

How We Tested
In a head-to-head comparison that consisted of 100 rounds being fired through each gun in one heady afternoon at the range, it must be said that all four turnbolts acquitted themselves well in the accuracy department. Anchored on a Protektor bench rest, each gun was zeroed at 50 yards until it could shoot one-hole groups, then was tested at 100, firing five five-shot groups at gridded five-bull Visible Impact series targets from Crosman. The relatively slow (1,300 fps to 1,400 fps) loads are vulnerable to wind, but that was not much of a factor on test day as the mild breeze was negligible. Air temperature was 45 degrees at an elevation of 950 feet.

All of the guns tested came scope-ready with Weaver-style mounting rails included. A Nikon 2-7x36mm Lustre rifle scope was mounted on each gun, both to give optimum magnification for the 100-yard testing and because the spacing of the Browning’s two-piece scope rails would not accommodate short-barreled variable shotgun scopes. The rifle scope was also chosen because it is parallax-free at 100 yards while shotgun scopes are prefocused at 50 to 75 yards.

All four guns showed consistently better accuracy than can be expected from the current pumps and autoloaders on the market. The only action that can compete with the bolts on an accuracy basis is the 9.5-pound bull-barreled single-shot H&R 980 Ultra Slugster.

Groups under 3 inches at 100 yards are exceptional for a production slug gun and commercial loads. Anything tighter than that is outstanding, given the relatively loose fit and ballistic drawbacks of even the most advanced high-tech modern slugs. But all four bolt-action guns tested performed better than the norm, a testimony to the accuracy potential of bolt-action guns with rifled barrels.

Rifled-barrel guns are designed to use sabot loads, the plastic sleeves of which grip the rifling grooves and impart spin to the encased projectile. We tested 23/4-inch versions of the top-end sabots on the market—Winchester Supreme High Impact, Federal Premium Sabot, Lightfield EXP Hybred, and Remington Copper Solid. Winchester and Federal both offer lesser loadings, and all but Lightfield also load 3-inch versions. For accuracy’s sake, we only used the most consistently accurate loads on the market.

The Lightfield at 1.25 ounces with an attached post wad was by far the heaviest load. The Winchester, Federal and Remington loads all averaged in the 440-445 grain area. Performance varied, gun-to-gun, with the various loads but the 16 averages came to a very respectable 2.28 inches. The tightest group was a 1.34-incher achieved by the Savage with Winchester Supreme and the largest a still acceptable 3.51 by the Marlin with Federal Premium.

Following are our individual assessments of each gun:

Browning A-Bolt
Browning originally introduced the A-Bolt at the 1994 S.H.O.T. Show in Dallas, displayed it again at the 1995 S.H.O.T. Show in Las Vegas, and had it back at the 1996 show in Dallas, but no guns were ready for distribution until March 1996. Browning’s official comment is that the design was being “fine-tuned” to specifications dictated by the Utah office. The widely held assumption, however, is that manufacturer Miroku Firearms of Japan was having problems with shell feeding.

The gun that’s shipping is actually a beefed-up version of the company’s popular A-Bolt rifle. The A-Bolt Shotgun comes in a Hunter version with satin finished walnut stock and a Stalker version with composite stock and dull finish barrel and receiver. The short, crisp, 60-degree bolt throw, front-locking bolt and choice of free-floating 22-inch fully rifled or 23-inch smoothbore (with extended rifled choke tube) barrels make the gun the ultimate in slug shooting. Rifling is a one-turn-in-32-inches twist rate.

The 7.5-pound A-Bolt also features a detachable-box magazine that can be affixed to the hinged floorplate as well as detachable sling swivels. The front-locking bolt features three lugs and a large hook extractor that pulls the shell case against an ejector stud in the left rear of the receiver. Spring-loaded shell grips in two of the lugs help maintain the extractor’s grip.

The front-locking bolt, like the rifle A-Bolt, turns within a sleeve that remains stationary while the bolt rotates in and out of battery. The sleeve moves back and forth with the bolt, but does not rotate with the head and handle.

Savage 210F Master Shot
The move by Savage into the bolt gun field was rumored to have died when the proposed Mossberg-Savage merger fell through in the summer of 1995. But the Savage 210 Master Shot proved nevertheless to be a reality when introduced at the 1996 S.H.O.T. Show.

The MasterShot is a 12-gauge version of the company’s long-standing 110 series bolt-action rifles and a far cry from the bolt shotguns produced by Savage under the Stevens name (1933-1981), which—like the Mossberg and Marlin shotgun bolts—used just the bolt handle as the locking lever.

Nevertheless, probably with an eye toward the future and possibly toward handloading, the Master Shot’s bolt features three front-locking lugs like the Browning (unlike Mauser-based traditional rifle bolts that feature twin-opposed lugs) and a 60-degree bolt rotation. The extractor is slender, hook-like affair what rotates with the bolt head and is housed in a slot just above the bottom locking lug. Extraction is theoretically via inertia with a blade contacting the case rim though a slot in the bolt head as the bolt reaches the last half-inch of travel.

The 24-inch rifled barrel (1-in-35 twist) is threaded to the receiver and held by a locking collar a la the 110 rifle. The receiver ring is well-vented. The action and stock are mated via two screws, one threading into the bottom surface of the recoil lug, the other just ahead of the trigger guard bow. The gun features a black glass-filled polymer synthetic stock with a ventilated recoil pad.

Like their rifle forebears, neither the Savage nor Browning bolt slug guns have sights—a unique concession to the fact that scopes are essential on today’s rifled barrel slug guns. Without the benefit of a scope, the shooter can never aim finely enough to discern the true accuracy potential of today’s guns.

The 7.5-pound Savage 210 is the only bolt gun on the market that does not use a detachable clip. Instead the Savage features a two-shot integral box magazine that juts from the bottom of the forearm. The gun thus must be loaded from the top, which is a cumbersome task, given the bulkiness of shotgun shells. The Savage is the only bolt gun that can be fed from either the left or right side.

Marlin 512 Slugmaster
Yes, Browning might be getting the most attention but it was not the first production bolt-action gun available with a rifled barrel. That distinction went to the Marlin Model 512 Slugmaster, which was first produced in 1994. Modeled after the company’s long-standing Model 55 models, the most famous of which is the 36-inch barreled Goose Gun, the 512 features a 21-inch fully rifled (one turn in 28 inches) barrel and two-shot detachable-box magazine with rifle sights.

The 8.5-pound gun is built on a checkered birch stock. The 512 is actually a close cousin to the Model 55S (for slug) that Marlin marketed in the 1960s, which featured a 24-inch smoothbore barrel, rifle sights and sling swivels.

Like the Mossberg, the Marlin features a shotgun bolt, not a beefed-up rifle bolt. Neither bolt is front-locking, rather leaving the bolt handle to cam into a receiver slot and lock the action. The two Connecticut-based companies are building for today’s slug shooter rather than the future when handloading of slugs may become more popular and a stronger lockup a necessity.

Today the root of the bolt handle certainly provides sufficient locking strength since shotgun chamber pressure levels barely reach one-quarter of that of a high powered rifle, which must be front-locked.

The Marlin bolt is mounted well forward, Mannlicher style, and notches in a slot in the receiver top, necessitating a side scope mount (Weaver 10M). A heavy recoil lug is set between the receiver and barrel into a recess in the stock.

If you are a fan of the 3-inch slug be advised that 1.) not all 3-inch slugs are the same length and 2.) the Marlin clip can’t handle the longest 3-incher, the Winchester, which tends hang up on the front edge of the magazine and not align with the chamber. To its credit, Marlin warns of this in its owners manual.

Suggested retail for the 512 is in the $350 neighborhood, but they can often be found for $100 less than that.

Mossberg 695
The Mossberg 695, which also comes in a camouflaged smoothbore version for turkey hunters, is actually a spruced-up version of the smoothbore, fixed-choke Maverick 95 bolt gun.

Maverick, a division of Mossberg, introduced the Model 95, a low-end bolt action shotgun, in 1995. Theoretically, it wasn’t a slug gun, at least not a specialty slug gun, since it has a smoothbore barrel with a fixed modified choke. The synthetic-stocked, internal box magazine (no clip) 3-shot 12-gauge is obviously an evolution of the old Mossberg Model 195 and later 395 models (produced 1963-1983), Polychoked, 26-inch barrel smoothbores that were popular 12-gauge starter guns in the 1960s.

But unlike the old bolt guns, the Maverick didn’t have a Polychoke. It carried only a bead front sight and listed for $175 retail, but is certainly was a precursor of things to come.

The “new for 1996” Mossberg Model 695 has basically the same stock and dimensions as the Maverick Model 95 but features a 22-inch fully rifled barrel (1-in-34 twist) is a turn-bolt affair affixed to the rear of the bolt.

The 7.5-pound Mossberg gun comes with a two-shot clip similar to the Marlin and Browning, but has to win the “Ugly” award for the manner in which the forearm is swelled in goiter-like protuberance to accommodate the bulky clip. The Mossberg offers a front post and rear folding leaf rifle sights in addition to Weaver style scope bases. Like the Savage, the Mossberg features a black synthetic stock with a schnabel forend.

Performance Shooter Recommends
The Browning A-Bolt was virtually flawless during the test. It had by far the best trigger (a crisp 3.5 pounds) and was very accurate with all four of the state-of-the-art sabot loads used in the test. The Browning and the Savage, being 12-gauge versions of existing bolt-action rifle designs, incorporate a rifle-style short-throw (60 degrees) bolt. These bolts are noticeably more efficient and fluid than the Marlin and Mossberg bolts, both of which are updated versions of shotgun bolts long-produced by the two North Haven, Connecticut, companies. The biggest disappointments were the low combs on the Marlin, Savage, and Mossberg stocks. The Browning’s drop is sufficiently short so that the shooter’s eye is level with the scope, but all other slug guns on the market (with the exception of the H&R 980, Mossberg 500, and Ithaca Deerslayer II) have regular shotgun drop in their stock design and need boosting to enable the shooter to see through a scope. All of the triggers were adjustable, although it would take a gunsmith to do the deed with any gun except the Browning. The rifle-like Browning and Savage bolts featured front-end lock-up, while the Mossberg and Marlin use the bolt lever as the only locking lug. In sum, the Browning A-Bolt slug gun delivered the best accuracy and shooter ergonomics. Despite its high price tag, we recommend it.

If money is an overriding factor, we would look at the Marlin 512 Slugmaster. It has proven itself in the market for three years, had an excellent (crisp 4.2 pounds) trigger, and cycled everything flawlessly during the test. Its accuracy was slightly behind the Mossberg, but was certainly good by any field standard.

The Savage 210F Master Shot shot every bit as well as the twice-the-price Browning, despite a 5.5-pound trigger. The Savage was, however, plagued by a consistent refusal to eject spent shells cleanly. The 210 provided for the test was an early 1996 version, but the problem lessened but did not disappear when the bolt was replaced by one from a 1997 camouflaged turkey-hunter version of the gun.

The accuracy afforded by the heavy-walled, uniquely ported barrel on the Mossberg 695 test gun was impressive. But our test model, an early-1996 version, was plagued by ejection problems. We understand the problem has been eliminated by a slight design adjustment, but we haven’t verified that ourselves. Also, the 695 had by far the worst trigger of the lot, in our estimation, a spongy 7 pounds with substantial creep. In our view, the Marlin is a better value.

Go to Top of Page

codenamepaul
Advanced Member

3186 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2005 :  06:27:45 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DONDALINGER

I have to admit, the ABolt slug gun was one beautiful gun, I just could not get off $800 for a new one. I was told Browning discontinued it due to low sales. I ended up buying the Mossberg 695. Fully rifled,ported barrel and scoped it. It is extremely accurate and has been 100% reliable. It has a 2 shot removable magazine. You have to be careful when loading the magazine that the shells are all the way back or it will not feed right. Marlin also made a bolt slug gun called the Slugmaster(model 512) I think. I heard it was not very accurate and I think they discontinued it also. I think I read somewhere the Savage has a built in magazine and feeding problems. The TarHunt is a fine gun if you can afford it. Be careful buying a used Mossberg, some were recalled for something. Mine was one of the first ones made and was not recalled. The recall was for a certain set of serial #'s. A slug is devastating on a whitetail.

If you go to the mossberg website, they have the recall notice up there. I think it was on year of manufacture that it applied to. I did not apply to mine. I believe the issue had something to do with the bolt. I will go look and see if I can C&P it here.

EDIT- here you go. C&P

O. F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. is voluntarily recalling a limited number of its Model 695® bolt action shotguns. The recall is being initiated as a result of recent findings by company officials that a limited number of shotguns may discharge when closing the bolt during the loading of a live shell into the chamber.

The Mossberg Model 695® shotguns under recall were produced in 1995 and 1996, within serial numbers ranging from M000101 to M015304, inclusive. No other firearm models within the Mossberg product line are affected by the recall. Maverick® Model 95 bolt action shotguns within the identified serial number range are not affected

Edited by - codenamepaul on 07/21/2005 06:34:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

psutjc87
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  08:58:10 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by nononsense

Tim,

No iron sights.

Standard Specifications

With standard RSG appointments as described above ............................................ $2495.00

Matchless Model
Standard RSG appointments with high gloss metal finish ....................................... $2745.00

Peerless Model
NP-3 (Nickel/Teflon) metal finish by Robar and Jewell trigger .............................. $3190.00

We attempt to keep a minimum number of Mountaineer RSG-20, Elite RSG-16 and Professional RSG-12 models on hand and available for immediate delivery.

The Tar-Hunt RSG series of rifled barrel slug guns is comprised of three models, the Mountaineer RSG-20 in 20 gauge, the Elite RSG-16 in 16 gauge and the Professional RSG-12 in 12 gauge.

The RSG is a custom two-lug bolt action firearm, drilled and tapped for standard Leupold windage or Weaver bases. The design standardly boasts a glass bedded barreled action with a free-floating, threaded-in heavy wall, fully rifled Shaw barrel in a black matte finish. A black McMillan fiberglass stock and Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad complete the package. Chambered for 3” slugs (RSG-20 & RSG-12) or 2-3/4” slugs (RSG-16), all models carry a limited lifetime warranty, excluding abuse.

Go to Top of Page

psutjc87
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  09:01:25 AM  Show Profile
sounds and looks like something that I would like to buy and use but...........price, wow. Thanks for the info though
quote:

Tim,

No iron sights.

Standard Specifications

Matchless Model

Peerless Model

Go to Top of Page

psutjc87
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  09:02:33 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the info, I may look at one of these.
quote:
Originally posted by codenamepaul

I have a Mossberg 695. It is good for a solid group at 50 (snowmen)and 100 yds (<3") for a far cry less than the premium slug gun being advertised.

Go to Top of Page

psutjc87
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  09:05:51 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the info, I truly am a browning fan, would love to find and A-bolt, the tar-hunt looks cool but price....wow. I did post in the wanted section, I'm just new on GunBroker just learning it, seems simple. If you happen to see an A-bolt I would certainly appreciate a note. Thanks again.....t.
quote:
Originally posted by drewto

Hello:
I too jumped through the bolt action slug gun hoops several years ago. Of the three you are looking at the Browning is the best. The Mossberg's, & Savages have their draw backs, which I can't recall the specifics on at this time. 98% Brownings sell for $750 to $1000, while the worn ones are in the $400 to $600 range. Sorry I can't give you specifics, I had read a very detailed report on all three manufacturers models, and the Browning came out on top for quality. Accuracy for the three was very close, and I think the Savage had some cycling problems. I hunt in Iowa and with our split 5 & 8 day deer seasons, it just became impractical to consider buying the Browning. Although I did find several on Gun Broker over a 4-5 month search period. The Tar-Hunt is an incredible shot gun (boasting rifle like accuracy), but if I couldn't justify the cost of a Browning, then the Tar-Hunt was out of the question. If you locate a Browning remember that they were offered in a partially rifled barrel model, and a full rifled barrel (the latter tested much better). I have no doubt that the Mossberg is capable of sub 3" groups at 100 yards, and probably better if you can match shell to gun. The Mossberg that I tested was not fond of 3" shells, but shot very well with Federal Premium 2 3/4" slugs. After shooting a smooth bore for years, I finally purchased a $200 pot metal Remington pump slug gun, mounted a Leupold Vari X III scope, lightened the trigger a little, and shot exceptionally well (sub 2" groups at 100 yards). Not to discourage you from your bolt gun search, I'd still purchase the Browing. Keep checking Gun Broker . . . there's one out there. You might want to list your request in the "WANTED" Forum. Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

psutjc87
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  09:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info, great article. I'm just new on GunBroker learning how, seems simple though. Again thanks for the article, I think I'll continue my search for an A-bolt. Preferrably composite with fully rifled barrel.
quote:

Tim,

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell us with your last post but I found the article that details out these 4 bolt action rifled shotguns.

I used the Tar-Hunt a few years ago for some specialty target shooting and I took it hunting in the midwest a few times. But the majority of my slug hunting was done with an 870 and a Hastings Paradox full rifled barrel. Excellent accuracy and a reasonable price.

Here's the article:

Browning Wins Bolt-Action Slug-Gun Shoot-out

At $800, the A-Bolt costs more than twice as much as guns from Marlin, Mossberg, and Savage. But in our view, the extra dollars deliver extra performance.

Anchored on a Protektor bench rest, each
gun was zeroed at 50 yards until it could
shoot one-hole groups, then was tested at
100, firing five five-shot groups at five-bull
Visible Impact series targets.

If your formative years as a deer hunter were spent east of the Mississippi, chances are you knew someone who started with a slug-loaded, inexpensive bolt-action shotgun—or maybe you toted one. Seems like there was always somebody serving an apprenticeship with a Polychoked Mossberg 195, Marlin 55, J.C. Higgins, Stevens, or Sears 140 bolt gun.

Back then turnbolt shotguns were “starters” reserved for kids—stepping stones to Ithaca or Remington pumps or autoloaders. Or they were multi-purpose ordnance used by folks who weren’t as serious about deer guns as they were in simply having something in the truck or behind the farmhouse door that could be of use in all seasons.

The bolts of those days were at the lower end of the shotgun spectrum. But you’ve also got to remember that shotguns and slugs per se weren’t accurate back then, either. Put three out of five in a gallon can at 40 paces and you had a tackdriver. Firepower had far more appeal and usefulness than that kind of accuracy.

But as I say, that was then. This is now. Today’s bolt-action slug guns are definitely not reinventions of the wheel. Comparisons between them and yesterday’s simple actions are about as valid as racing the Spirit of St. Louis against a Stealth bomber. Slug shooting has evolved eons in the last 10 years.

And, in a way, it was inevitable that the bolt-action gun would re-emerge in this Renaissance of slug shooting. After all, like arrow speed in archery, lane grip in bowling and shaft flex in golf, accuracy has become the Holy Grail of shotgun slug shooting.

Go to a benchrest rifle match and look at what the competitors are shooting. Remember, these are the test pilots of the firearms industry. These guys are perfectionists. They’re apt to retire a gun if they can’t cover its last five-shot group with a dime. What do they shoot? Bolt actions and single shots. No exceptions. Show up with any other action and be prepared for snickers, smirks, and an out-of-the-money finish.

Anybody knowledgeable about slug guns knows that the solid front lock-up and sheer receiver mass that is so critical in rifle accuracy is overkill for slug guns. But enthusiasm often overcomes common sense. Thus the hottest ticket in slug-gun shooting is the bolt-action.

There are now four modern production bolt-action rifled barrel slug guns on the market; “modern” being the operative word here. These are the $800 Browning A-Bolt, the $380 Savage 210 MasterShot, the $350 Marlin 512 Slugmaster and the $293 Mossberg 695. In side-by-side comparison the Browning A-Bolt shotgun is the class of the bolt-action, rifled-barrel slug-gun field. Metal-to-wood fit, wood quality, finish, workmanship, and function are head and shoulders above the other bolt guns. But then it ought to be with an $800-plus price tag.

How We Tested
In a head-to-head comparison that consisted of 100 rounds being fired through each gun in one heady afternoon at the range, it must be said that all four turnbolts acquitted themselves well in the accuracy department. Anchored on a Protektor bench rest, each gun was zeroed at 50 yards until it could shoot one-hole groups, then was tested at 100, firing five five-shot groups at gridded five-bull Visible Impact series targets from Crosman. The relatively slow (1,300 fps to 1,400 fps) loads are vulnerable to wind, but that was not much of a factor on test day as the mild breeze was negligible. Air temperature was 45 degrees at an elevation of 950 feet.

All of the guns tested came scope-ready with Weaver-style mounting rails included. A Nikon 2-7x36mm Lustre rifle scope was mounted on each gun, both to give optimum magnification for the 100-yard testing and because the spacing of the Browning’s two-piece scope rails would not accommodate short-barreled variable shotgun scopes. The rifle scope was also chosen because it is parallax-free at 100 yards while shotgun scopes are prefocused at 50 to 75 yards.

All four guns showed consistently better accuracy than can be expected from the current pumps and autoloaders on the market. The only action that can compete with the bolts on an accuracy basis is the 9.5-pound bull-barreled single-shot H&R 980 Ultra Slugster.

Groups under 3 inches at 100 yards are exceptional for a production slug gun and commercial loads. Anything tighter than that is outstanding, given the relatively loose fit and ballistic drawbacks of even the most advanced high-tech modern slugs. But all four bolt-action guns tested performed better than the norm, a testimony to the accuracy potential of bolt-action guns with rifled barrels.

Rifled-barrel guns are designed to use sabot loads, the plastic sleeves of which grip the rifling grooves and impart spin to the encased projectile. We tested 23/4-inch versions of the top-end sabots on the market—Winchester Supreme High Impact, Federal Premium Sabot, Lightfield EXP Hybred, and Remington Copper Solid. Winchester and Federal both offer lesser loadings, and all but Lightfield also load 3-inch versions. For accuracy’s sake, we only used the most consistently accurate loads on the market.

The Lightfield at 1.25 ounces with an attached post wad was by far the heaviest load. The Winchester, Federal and Remington loads all averaged in the 440-445 grain area. Performance varied, gun-to-gun, with the various loads but the 16 averages came to a very respectable 2.28 inches. The tightest group was a 1.34-incher achieved by the Savage with Winchester Supreme and the largest a still acceptable 3.51 by the Marlin with Federal Premium.

Following are our individual assessments of each gun:

Browning A-Bolt
Browning originally introduced the A-Bolt at the 1994 S.H.O.T. Show in Dallas, displayed it again at the 1995 S.H.O.T. Show in Las Vegas, and had it back at the 1996 show in Dallas, but no guns were ready for distribution until March 1996. Browning’s official comment is that the design was being “fine-tuned” to specifications dictated by the Utah office. The widely held assumption, however, is that manufacturer Miroku Firearms of Japan was having problems with shell feeding.

The gun that’s shipping is actually a beefed-up version of the company’s popular A-Bolt rifle. The A-Bolt Shotgun comes in a Hunter version with satin finished walnut stock and a Stalker version with composite stock and dull finish barrel and receiver. The short, crisp, 60-degree bolt throw, front-locking bolt and choice of free-floating 22-inch fully rifled or 23-inch smoothbore (with extended rifled choke tube) barrels make the gun the ultimate in slug shooting. Rifling is a one-turn-in-32-inches twist rate.

The 7.5-pound A-Bolt also features a detachable-box magazine that can be affixed to the hinged floorplate as well as detachable sling swivels. The front-locking bolt features three lugs and a large hook extractor that pulls the shell case against an ejector stud in the left rear of the receiver. Spring-loaded shell grips in two of the lugs help maintain the extractor’s grip.

The front-locking bolt, like the rifle A-Bolt, turns within a sleeve that remains stationary while the bolt rotates in and out of battery. The sleeve moves back and forth with the bolt, but does not rotate with the head and handle.

Savage 210F Master Shot
The move by Savage into the bolt gun field was rumored to have died when the proposed Mossberg-Savage merger fell through in the summer of 1995. But the Savage 210 Master Shot proved nevertheless to be a reality when introduced at the 1996 S.H.O.T. Show.

The MasterShot is a 12-gauge version of the company’s long-standing 110 series bolt-action rifles and a far cry from the bolt shotguns produced by Savage under the Stevens name (1933-1981), which—like the Mossberg and Marlin shotgun bolts—used just the bolt handle as the locking lever.

Nevertheless, probably with an eye toward the future and possibly toward handloading, the Master Shot’s bolt features three front-locking lugs like the Browning (unlike Mauser-based traditional rifle bolts that feature twin-opposed lugs) and a 60-degree bolt rotation. The extractor is slender, hook-like affair what rotates with the bolt head and is housed in a slot just above the bottom locking lug. Extraction is theoretically via inertia with a blade contacting the case rim though a slot in the bolt head as the bolt reaches the last half-inch of travel.

The 24-inch rifled barrel (1-in-35 twist) is threaded to the receiver and held by a locking collar a la the 110 rifle. The receiver ring is well-vented. The action and stock are mated via two screws, one threading into the bottom surface of the recoil lug, the other just ahead of the trigger guard bow. The gun features a black glass-filled polymer synthetic stock with a ventilated recoil pad.

Like their rifle forebears, neither the Savage nor Browning bolt slug guns have sights—a unique concession to the fact that scopes are essential on today’s rifled barrel slug guns. Without the benefit of a scope, the shooter can never aim finely enough to discern the true accuracy potential of today’s guns.

The 7.5-pound Savage 210 is the only bolt gun on the market that does not use a detachable clip. Instead the Savage features a two-shot integral box magazine that juts from the bottom of the forearm. The gun thus must be loaded from the top, which is a cumbersome task, given the bulkiness of shotgun shells. The Savage is the only bolt gun that can be fed from either the left or right side.

Marlin 512 Slugmaster
Yes, Browning might be getting the most attention but it was not the first production bolt-action gun available with a rifled barrel. That distinction went to the Marlin Model 512 Slugmaster, which was first produced in 1994. Modeled after the company’s long-standing Model 55 models, the most famous of which is the 36-inch barreled Goose Gun, the 512 features a 21-inch fully rifled (one turn in 28 inches) barrel and two-shot detachable-box magazine with rifle sights.

The 8.5-pound gun is built on a checkered birch stock. The 512 is actually a close cousin to the Model 55S (for slug) that Marlin marketed in the 1960s, which featured a 24-inch smoothbore barrel, rifle sights and sling swivels.

Like the Mossberg, the Marlin features a shotgun bolt, not a beefed-up rifle bolt. Neither bolt is front-locking, rather leaving the bolt handle to cam into a receiver slot and lock the action. The two Connecticut-based companies are building for today’s slug shooter rather than the future when handloading of slugs may become more popular and a stronger lockup a necessity.

Today the root of the bolt handle certainly provides sufficient locking strength since shotgun chamber pressure levels barely reach one-quarter of that of a high powered rifle, which must be front-locked.

The Marlin bolt is mounted well forward, Mannlicher style, and notches in a slot in the receiver top, necessitating a side scope mount (Weaver 10M). A heavy recoil lug is set between the receiver and barrel into a recess in the stock.

If you are a fan of the 3-inch slug be advised that 1.) not all 3-inch slugs are the same length and 2.) the Marlin clip can’t handle the longest 3-incher, the Winchester, which tends hang up on the front edge of the magazine and not align with the chamber. To its credit, Marlin warns of this in its owners manual.

Suggested retail for the 512 is in the $350 neighborhood, but they can often be found for $100 less than that.

Mossberg 695
The Mossberg 695, which also comes in a camouflaged smoothbore version for turkey hunters, is actually a spruced-up version of the smoothbore, fixed-choke Maverick 95 bolt gun.

Maverick, a division of Mossberg, introduced the Model 95, a low-end bolt action shotgun, in 1995. Theoretically, it wasn’t a slug gun, at least not a specialty slug gun, since it has a smoothbore barrel with a fixed modified choke. The synthetic-stocked, internal box magazine (no clip) 3-shot 12-gauge is obviously an evolution of the old Mossberg Model 195 and later 395 models (produced 1963-1983), Polychoked, 26-inch barrel smoothbores that were popular 12-gauge starter guns in the 1960s.

But unlike the old bolt guns, the Maverick didn’t have a Polychoke. It carried only a bead front sight and listed for $175 retail, but is certainly was a precursor of things to come.

The “new for 1996” Mossberg Model 695 has basically the same stock and dimensions as the Maverick Model 95 but features a 22-inch fully rifled barrel (1-in-34 twist) is a turn-bolt affair affixed to the rear of the bolt.

The 7.5-pound Mossberg gun comes with a two-shot clip similar to the Marlin and Browning, but has to win the “Ugly” award for the manner in which the forearm is swelled in goiter-like protuberance to accommodate the bulky clip. The Mossberg offers a front post and rear folding leaf rifle sights in addition to Weaver style scope bases. Like the Savage, the Mossberg features a black synthetic stock with a schnabel forend.

Performance Shooter Recommends
The Browning A-Bolt was virtually flawless during the test. It had by far the best trigger (a crisp 3.5 pounds) and was very accurate with all four of the state-of-the-art sabot loads used in the test. The Browning and the Savage, being 12-gauge versions of existing bolt-action rifle designs, incorporate a rifle-style short-throw (60 degrees) bolt. These bolts are noticeably more efficient and fluid than the Marlin and Mossberg bolts, both of which are updated versions of shotgun bolts long-produced by the two North Haven, Connecticut, companies. The biggest disappointments were the low combs on the Marlin, Savage, and Mossberg stocks. The Browning’s drop is sufficiently short so that the shooter’s eye is level with the scope, but all other slug guns on the market (with the exception of the H&R 980, Mossberg 500, and Ithaca Deerslayer II) have regular shotgun drop in their stock design and need boosting to enable the shooter to see through a scope. All of the triggers were adjustable, although it would take a gunsmith to do the deed with any gun except the Browning. The rifle-like Browning and Savage bolts featured front-end lock-up, while the Mossberg and Marlin use the bolt lever as the only locking lug. In sum, the Browning A-Bolt slug gun delivered the best accuracy and shooter ergonomics. Despite its high price tag, we recommend it.

If money is an overriding factor, we would look at the Marlin 512 Slugmaster. It has proven itself in the market for three years, had an excellent (crisp 4.2 pounds) trigger, and cycled everything flawlessly during the test. Its accuracy was slightly behind the Mossberg, but was certainly good by any field standard.

The Savage 210F Master Shot shot every bit as well as the twice-the-price Browning, despite a 5.5-pound trigger. The Savage was, however, plagued by a consistent refusal to eject spent shells cleanly. The 210 provided for the test was an early 1996 version, but the problem lessened but did not disappear when the bolt was replaced by one from a 1997 camouflaged turkey-hunter version of the gun.

The accuracy afforded by the heavy-walled, uniquely ported barrel on the Mossberg 695 test gun was impressive. But our test model, an early-1996 version, was plagued by ejection problems. We understand the problem has been eliminated by a slight design adjustment, but we haven’t verified that ourselves. Also, the 695 had by far the worst trigger of the lot, in our estimation, a spongy 7 pounds with substantial creep. In our view, the Marlin is a better value.

Go to Top of Page

psutjc87
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2005 :  09:11:35 AM  Show Profile
thanks for the info Don (DOC), I certainly appreciate it. I looked at the Mossburg also, If I cant find an A-bolt, it may be an option. I would pay the NEW A-bolt price for a GOOD used one.

t.
quote:
Originally posted by DONDALINGER

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page