GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Convert S&W 5906 to Single Action Only?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tr fox
Advanced Member

USA
15639 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that most people like me believe that the best and most accurate targer pistol is basically a "single action". Whether it be a cocked striker firing or visible hammer, only having to move the trigger slightly to drop the hammer (on an always cocked hammer) gives the shooter a lot more chance at accuracy. As compared to a long trigger pull such as the first double action trigger pull (and even the long mushy single action) on for examaple a S&W model 5906.

So, to make a target handgun out of a S&W model 5906, is there anyway to convert it to single actions only? Replace parts, make parts, alter existing parts? I realize I would of course have to manually cock the hammer before the first shot.

quikdraw67
Advanced Member

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
5357 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  6:59:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tr -

I'm no gunsmith but the original S&W 52 was really a 39 converted to fire .38 wadcutter, and was a traditional double action blocked (I don't know how)to fire single action only. the only safety on the gun was a firing pin block, and you could dry fire the gun to practice w/o hurting it. The 52 could be converted to fire DA if you wanted to. The 52-1 and 52-2 were truly single action only. I do not know if the 5906 is adaptable or not, and how hard it would be to do to get a good trigger.
If you want a target 9mm, Smith is making the 952, single action only target pistol, but methinks you need deep deep pockets for that one.

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"
Go to Top of Page

select-fire
Advanced Member

41300 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  7:05:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not consider the 5906 even close to being a target pistol.
Go to Top of Page

quikdraw67
Advanced Member

5357 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  7:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
select-fire has a point. The 5906 IMHO is a decent pistol (I liked mine,traded it for a 6906 I like better), but it's no bullseye gun.
Anyone can accurize a basic 1911 45acp with a boatload of drop-in parts. I do not think the same market exists for the S&W 3rd generation pistols.

Go to Top of Page

quikdraw67
Advanced Member

5357 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  9:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tr -

did you try this one over at "Ask the Experts"?

Go to Top of Page

haroldchrismeyer

1985 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  9:51:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best way to make it a target pistol is to keep it like it is, and buy a model 14.
Go to Top of Page

tr fox
Advanced Member

USA
15639 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  10:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by select-fire

I would not consider the 5906 even close to being a target pistol.

Well, yeah you're absoutely right about this. But I think the main reason for this is caused by the absoutely lousely trigger pull on both double and single action. If that could be over come cheaply (couple of inexpensive new parts, etc) I believe then the gun would be capable of better accuracy than most shooters could use.

IMHO, if any good gun is manufacturered and is functioning properly and the ammo matches the gun, then with a bench rest shooting, for example, the gun will put the bullet pretty much where you want it. But you have GOT to also have a decent trigger pull. Unfortuntely the 5906 does not have a good trigger pull.

I am vaguely aware of the S&W target guns but it looks like they are well over $1,000.00 and you can purchase a great used 5906 for about $300-400. And then if I could get parts for $50-100 and turn it into a single action only, with a good, crisp and short trigger pull, I believe that would be a good enough target gun for me.

But I could be w-a-y wrong.

Might be fun to try.

Edited by - tr fox on 08/04/2005 10:09:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Txs
Advanced Member

15644 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  10:09:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not suggesting you go through with it, but filing a bit on the sear release lever of a standard 5906 will allow the the pistol to be placed on safe without the hammer dropping.

The issue of the D/A to S/A transition with D/A semiautos is overblown. With practice you can be just about as accurate firing D/A as S/A. S&W semiauto triggers have one of the shortest sear reset distances on an out of the box pistols you'll find. I actually wish my SIG reset felt this good.

Go to Top of Page

tr fox
Advanced Member

USA
15639 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  10:13:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Txs

I'm not suggesting you go through with it, but filing a bit on the sear release lever of a standard 5906 will allow the the pistol to be placed on safe without the hammer dropping.

The issue of the D/A to S/A transition with D/A semiautos is overblown. With practice you can be just about as accurate firing D/A as S/A. S&W semiauto triggers have one of the shortest sear reset distances on an out of the box pistols you'll find. I actually wish my SIG reset felt this good.

Now that is interesting info. thanks.

I have shot double action in revolvers and semi-autos (got a double action only S&W 9mm 5900 series) and try as hard as I can I can never be as accurate as when shooting my Ruger super black hawk single action only revolver in 9mm. I just can't do it and I think most people can't because they just can't deal with that l-o-n-g double action only trigger pull.

I think most people, when they want to pull the trigger for bulleyes shooting, want a very short, crisp trigger pull.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page