GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Building a " Trench Gun"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dolfan
Advanced Member

USA
5369 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  7:42:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I want to build a clone trench gun. I plan to use a Winchester M-97 12 ga. The 30" barrel model is cheaper and fairly common. They are in the $400-$500 range for a decent one.

My question: What is the best method to cut the barrel to 20" and how do you install the a repro heat shield/bayo lug? Is it a direct "bolt on"? On site that sells them states "gunsmith installation recommended" Does it involve tapping?

An original is way beyond my means and I don't want to buy a cheap Norinco look a like. Thanks for the advice.

quikdraw67
Advanced Member

Burkina Faso (Upper Volta)
5357 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  8:40:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, I was going to suggest the Norinco as it comes ready made, including the "U.S." and "flaming bomb".

your call, just hate seeing an original 1897 getting made into something it's not

"Mongo only pawn in game of life"

sorry, the spelling's off tonight

Edited by - quikdraw67 on 08/22/2005 9:36:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

forthhorseman

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  9:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again I totally agree with quickdraw67. As a an avid fan of Cowboy Action Shooting and great guns in general, I would hate to see a real shootable 97 that isn't really a trench gun get cut up and made into one.

The Norinco 97 Trench gun is an exact reproduction of the WWI Winchester 12ga. exposed hammer pump trench gun and can be for under $400.00. There's a few of them available in GunBroker.com auctions. I've seen one up close and they're nice. Like quickdraw67 says, they have the U.S. and exploding bomb markings on them just like the originals.

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36190698

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36151403

http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=36226268

Edited by - forthhorseman on 08/22/2005 9:32:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

dolfan
Advanced Member

USA
5369 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  9:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

forthhorseman & quickdraw, thanks for your replies.

What is the barrel size used for cowboy action shooting?

I may give up my butcher job, but I definitely want to get a M-97.
My budget is no more than $500.
Go to Top of Page

beachmaster73
Advanced Member

4240 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2005 :  9:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dolfan...I'm with the other guys on this one. A clone is a clone is a clone. You can get the Norinco and have a ball with it although the quality really is no where near as good as the original. The Norinco will put OO downrange without problem. I still shoot my original 1897 trench gun...but I don't think I'd be taking it to cowboy action shooting events. If you email me I can give you the name of a really great 97 trench gun guy that has done right by me over the years. Beach
Go to Top of Page

forthhorseman

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  12:32:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the thing that's nice about the Noricos is you can shoot them all day long, even wear them out at less than $400.00 and not feel at all bad about it. Norinco makes both the regular Win '97 pump in a couple barrel lengths and they make the trench gun version with the barrel shroud and bayonet lug. I'm seriously thinking about getting one of each.
Go to Top of Page

surbat6

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  2:48:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For authenticity, you could leave the M97's barrel long (they favored LONG barrels for shotguns and rifles in the 19th century, figuring improved power and accuracy due to the longer tube).
I totally agree with the previous posts regarding butchering your M97 to make an imitation trench gun. Even a good modification would reduce its value. A "few" years ago you could pick up Model 97 Winchesters for less than a hundred bucks. I paid $105 for mine back in '78. Now try to find one in working condition for less than $300.

"I think of my gun as a tool for converting worthless human garbage into valuable fertilizer." John Dollar in the novel "Bridge City" by Fred Rexer
Go to Top of Page

forthhorseman

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  3:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dolfan

forthhorseman & quickdraw, thanks for your replies.

What is the barrel size used for cowboy action shooting?

I may give up my butcher job, but I definitely want to get a M-97.
My budget is no more than $500.

I've seen CAS shooters with Norinco 97s in 26" and 20" but I'd say the majority of Norinco 97s seem to be the 20".

Edited by - forthhorseman on 08/23/2005 3:07:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

v35
Advanced Member

USA
12595 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2005 :  11:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trench gun styles are inappropriate for cowboy shooting since they only date back to WW1 even though they're hammer guns.
Go to Top of Page

forthhorseman

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2005 :  12:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v35

Trench gun styles are inappropriate for cowboy shooting since they only date back to WW1 even though they're hammer guns.

Yeah, we sort of got off subject and started talking about the standard Win 97 (non-trench gun) barrel lengths, especially the non-trench gun versions of the Norinco 97.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page