GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 inherited Junior Colt .25....value???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rox2bme
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  12:33:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father recently passed away and I now have his Junior Colt in .25 caliber. It is in mint condition with the original box and manual along with 13 of the original 50 rounds of ammunition. According to my mother he purchased it in the late 50's or early 60's. It is serial # 81XX cc. The condition is like new with no visible wear.and has two colt mags. unlike most htat I have seen on auction here, it has black grips not two tone. I don't think I could ever part with it but anyone with information on what the value might be would be greatly appriciated. Also would be very interested in knowing when it was manufactured. Thanks

Edited by - rox2bme on 08/25/2005 12:21:40 PM

nmyers
Advanced Member

12276 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  08:58:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that you have a Junior Colt. The first model Junior Colt was made in the early '60s for Colt by Astra, & is stamped "made in Spain"; all had checkered walnut grips with Colt medallion.

Can you post a photo?

Neal
Go to Top of Page

Pearyw
Advanced Member

3696 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  09:50:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The obvious differance is the hammer. The 1908 Colt does not have an external hammer and the Astra made Colt does. The serial number indicates that is an Astra made Colt manufactured in 1959.

Go to Top of Page

CHGOTHNDER
Advanced Member

8950 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:03:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss, I bought the CJ .22 short for $250.00 last year in excellent cond. I would tell you that on older Colts the price is sometimes higher in the real world than in the book. Either way I'd keep it as a rememberance of him and maybe even pass it down.

PJ

If nobody seen you do it, how could you have done it. NRA PATRON-LIFE Member, AF&AM, Shriner Life Member, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois "Chicago Chapter" Founding Member & Board Member
Go to Top of Page

rox2bme
Starting Member

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  10:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
upon further inspection is does say made in spain for colt's on the front side of the grip to the left of the trigger guard. But the grips are black checkered with the colt horse emblem.And it does have a rounded stainless hammer. Also, would it get a good idea to pitch the old ammo? been sitting in a drawer for 40 plus years.

Edited by - rox2bme on 08/25/2005 10:43:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

nmyers
Advanced Member

12276 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  2:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as modern ammo is kept cool & dry, it should be good indefinitely. I have attached a note to my ammo, "Discard after 200 years."

Neal
Go to Top of Page

Laredo Lefty
Advanced Member

USA
11123 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  2:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rox, Sorry to hear about your dads passing.

The Colt .25 you inherited was made about 1960 by Astra in Spain as mentioned. These were stamped "Colt Junior" and were made from 1958 to 1968. They were also chambered in .22 cal.

In 1970 Colt began production of the "Colt Automatic Caliber 25" which is identical to the earlier model you have, but is not stamped "Junior". I have 2 of this model and their serial numbers begin with "OD".

The ammo you have should be fine to shoot. I have shot lots of 40 and 50 year old ammo with no problems.

The value of your gun is around $275.00 to $300.00.

Joe
"Never let school interfere with your education"

Edited by - Laredo Lefty on 08/25/2005 3:05:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

fishermanben
Advanced Member

USA
11961 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2005 :  3:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before you shoot the ammo, you may want to post what it is, as it may have 'some' collectable value also, especially if it is a full box.

Ben

Play Ball!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page