GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 .375 H&H or .300 Win Mag
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gunluv280

155 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  10:33:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which has worse recoil of these two? A guy tried to tell me the .300 Win Mag is worse, but if the gun is the same, wouldn't a .375 be worse because of the heavier bullet and (I assume but am not sure here) more powder?

Highball
Advanced Member

18220 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  11:57:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.accuratereloading.com/recoil.html
Take a look at this site.
Short version;
300 Win Mag-180 Gr- 27 foot pounds
375 Mag -300 Gr. 38.8 foot pounds

These people calculated something called a 'recoil factor'...under 100 being a cream-puff...400 to 700 'heavy recoil'
300 Win Mag- 319
375 Mag -628.6

My 340 Weatherby outkicks them both...by a considerable margin.
Go to Top of Page

jnmiller75

934 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  11:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting site. Thanks Highball.
Go to Top of Page

ern98

1823 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  2:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recoil is a subjective subject in that very few folks feel it the same way. Yes, pure math can make that kind of statement on the pure energy involved, given the rifles have the same weight, shape of stock and that the bullets have similar cross sectional densities. But many 375H&Hs are built heavier so as to help manage the recoil. Also many 300winmags are built in a lighter carry style for those long treks after mulies above the tree line. Given this and the real possiblity of the 300winmag being loaded with a 200g bullet and the 375H&H with a 270g then it is easy to understand how someone might want to make the case that the 300winmag has greater recoil then the 375H&H. Get the guy to tell you what he is basing his statement on and then you should be able to figure out how much weight to give to his opinion. Personally I've shot several 300winmags that had really fast and heavy recoil, they were no fun. Also my buddies pre 64 supergrade 375H&H is a rifle that I have taken to the range and enjoyed shooting off the bench, so go figure.

Edited by - ern98 on 10/07/2005 2:25:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

joel_black

USA
681 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  4:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a way, your friend could be right. 375 rifles tend to run much heavier than 300 mags and that explains why the recoil seems to be less.
Go to Top of Page

MN Hunter

1877 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  4:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ern makes a good point my stating the .375 is heavier, which in turn helps with recoil.

i shoot a tikka t3 in .300 win mag. the gun itself is as light as a feather, but when im shooting 200gr bullets....makes for a short day at the range.

if recoil is a concern, you can always consider a muzzle break or magna-porting. my .02

Edited by - MN Hunter on 10/07/2005 4:24:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

gunluv280

155 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  01:20:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess my view is that the .375 has a heavier recoil, all else being equal, but since the gun is usually heavier, the recoil perceived by the shooter may be less. My point to him was that if the gun is the same, the .375 HAS to have more recoil, it's simple physics. He didn't seem to agree with that.

By the way Highball, interesting site. Thanks for that.

Go to Top of Page

hadjii

USA
657 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  05:24:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While we're on the subject of these 2 rifles, I have a question? Would it be insane to elk hunt with a 375 H & H? The reason I ask is that I seen a new Savage rifle chambered in 375. It had the express sights and barrel band. It was really a fine looking rifle, and I'm trying to figure a way to justify buying it, but for all intent and purposes, I would have no use for it other than the fact that I would like to have it.
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5332 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  05:34:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hadjii,

Not insane at all. 375 H&H will do the job. It is a favorite(not that I've been there or done that so I'm not speaking out of my own experiences) in Africa for animals, that have the same relative size as elk of North America.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1410 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  11:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gunluv,

You have asked an interesting question. All the previous answers have provided good insight into all the variables are involved in recoil and how it is felt by the shooter. All those answers are correct.

To provide an as objective opinion as possible, let's use some math - don't get scared, we don't have to calculate anything. The four variables needed to calculate recoil and recoil velocity are:

1. Bullet weight
2. Powder charge weight
3. Velocity of the bullet
4. Weight of the rifle

Here is the formula to calculate the recoil impulse:

The recoil energy of the gun can then be calculated from the kinetic energy equation:

E = *Mg*(Vg)2 or simplifying:
E = Wg*(Vg)2/64.4

Where:
E = free-recoil energy, ft.-lbs.
Mg = mass of the gun (Wg/32.2)
Wg = weight of gun, lb.
64.4 = acceleration of gravity*2, f.p.s.2
Vg = free-recoil velocity of the gun, f.p.s

I promised you didn't have to calculate anything so use the recoil calculator at this link:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/recoil.asp

Using the Speer Reloading Manual #13, for the 300 Winchester enter the heaviest bullet weight (200 grains), velocity (2857 fps), powder weight (71 grains), and rifle weight (9 pounds) and for the 375 H&H the lightest bullet weight (235 grains), velocity (2948 fps), powder weight (74 grains), and the same rifle weight (9 pounds). This is as equal a comparison as can be made to give the "guy" every advantage to be correct in his assertion that the 300 Winchester has the worse recoil.

The numerical results are:

300 Winchester - 28.84 ft. lbs of free recoil energy
375 H&H - 38.13 ft. lbs. of free recoil energy

These energies are nearly the same, so given an equal weight rifle there isn't that much difference, but the 375 will recoil more all things being as equal as possible.

Now, reduce the weight of 300 Winchester rifle to 7.5 pounds and increase the weight of the 375 H&H to 9.5 pounds and you will see there is even less difference between the two (35 ft. lbs. compared to 36 ft. lbs.) but the 375 still has slightly more recoil.

Increasing the bullet weight of the 375 will increase the difference in recoil even more.

Hope this long-winded explanation helps to clarify.

Regards,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

gunluv280

155 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2005 :  8:44:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heavyiron---good info. I guess that pretty much settles it. Thanks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page