GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 General Discussion
 Firing Pin left cocked?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MVP
Advanced Member

Equatorial Guinea
21920 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  3:33:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a few threads where people worry about their magazines left loaded for extended periods of time doing damage to the springs.
How about leaving your firing pin in a cocked position under tension for extended periods?
Or do you store firearms in and uncocked state?
I see hunters who put their bolt action rifles up till next season with the firing pin in a cocked position.

ALL AMERICAN INFIDEL

shootlow
Advanced Member

USA
4095 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  3:40:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i store mine in the uncocked state even if i am going to shoot it again the next day
my carry pistol at night is unloaded and uncocked with the mag reloaded
the shotgun that is close is slide open with a round in the chamber so all you have to do is close it

"Go over,go under,go around,or go through.But never give up. "
Go to Top of Page

rldowns3
Advanced Member

USA
6718 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  3:42:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep a loaded firearm hidden in each room of my house, cocked and locked. Kept them that way for several years at a stretch. Never had a problem when I emptied them at a firing range a few years back.

The only thing I've ever had a problem with being left loaded is shotguns. The tube magazine springs lose strength.

Edited by - rldowns3 on 10/15/2005 3:43:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

bigtire
Advanced Member

USA
9260 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  3:50:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I prefer revolvers for home defense. You could leave a revolver in the loaded uncocked state indefinitely and only have to worry about the powder/primer degrading or loosing potency. And that only becomes a problem after many decades.

I always store guns uncocked.

MOLON LABE!

An evil tree bears evil fruit. You can destroy as much fruit as you want, but it will always grow back, and it will always be evil.

Tear the tree out of the ground by the roots and burn it. Burn it to ash and grind out the embers with your boot until there's nothing left. Not a single spark. Not a single seed.
Go to Top of Page

tazzer
Advanced Member

USA
7430 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  4:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I talked to a gun smith the other day about this very topic
and he says it does not hurt the gun to be left in the cocked post.
at least not my bolt action so i asked him about the mag. to my 45 auto
and he said it the heavy ust that works on the mag not the tention on them. He told me about some findings on some ww 45 clips that were still loaded he had read about and all of them worked without a misshap.
Myself it just makes since to uncock them to be on the safe side
taz
Go to Top of Page

wundudnee
Advanced Member

5263 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  4:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so anal, I even jack my truck up every night to take the load off the springs.

This has been beat to death, do what makes you happy.

What worries me more is dry fireing a rim fire firearm. With a bolt or a hammer gun you can see if you chamber a shell or not. With a semi automatic, unless you count your shots, you're going to dry fire the gun on the last shot when it's empty.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black

Go to Top of Page

Flying Clay Disk
Advanced Member

USA
25550 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  4:43:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wundudnee

I'm so anal, I even jack my truck up every night to take the load off the springs.

What worries me more is dry fireing a rim fire firearm. With a bolt or a hammer gun you can see if you chamber a shell or not. With a semi automatic, unless you count your shots, you're going to dry fire the gun on the last shot when it's empty.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black

Not sure what kind of semi-auto you're referring to, but all mine, rimfire and centerfire, lock back in the open position after firing the last shot.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"
Go to Top of Page

Tailgunner1954
Advanced Member

7187 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  6:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FCD
The Puker 1022 (for one) dosn't lock open when empty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  6:29:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I once found and old H&R .32 revolver under a mobile home that was being moved. The hammer on the gun was cocked, but it was rusted in place. It didnt matter that the spring was still strong.

I think rust damage is much more likely than spring fatique to cause a problem with a gun that has been kept loaded but not serviced over a long period of time. You never know what kind of oxidation might be building up on the ammo brass or lead or the magazine spring.

That's why it's a good idea not to leave magazines loaded for years on end without checking on them. At least take the rounds out of the magazine, wipe them down lubricate if necessary etc.

Samne thing with rifles. It might not hurt the firing pin spring to leave the gun cocked for years on end, but it would be negligent not to remove the bolt, check the bolt and bore for rust, apply librication if rust is present etc.
Go to Top of Page

young n dum

2039 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  7:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from some of these questions I would be left to beleive that Iam the only one who lovingly dissasembeles and plays with all my fireamrs everynight?

To all the liberals.....bite me!
Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  7:19:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by young n dum

from some of these questions I would be left to beleive that Iam the only one who lovingly dissasembeles and plays with all my fireamrs everynight?

To all the liberals.....bite me!

It gets harder and harder as you get older. You collect more guns, your eysight gets bad and you keep forgetting the combination to the safe.
Go to Top of Page

wundudnee
Advanced Member

5263 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk

quote:
Originally posted by wundudnee

Not sure what kind of semi-auto you're referring to, but all mine, rimfire and centerfire, lock back in the open position after firing the last shot.

FCD

"Fortes et liber"

Both my Model 63 Winchester and the 10-22 don't lock back. Neither does my WASR. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Go to Top of Page

JamesRK
Advanced Member

USA
21372 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  7:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iíve got a Remington 1100 eight shooter that I keep loaded with seven in the magazine and one in the chamber. I used to rotate the spring every six months, but for various reasons I went for a couple years once and it still worked as advertised. I donít bother changing it now.

Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8519 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  7:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of my semi autos (rifles and shotguns)dont lock back after last shot. A number of clip fed rifles that i own do lock back, such as the AR-15.
Go to Top of Page

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13023 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  8:48:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As wundednee pointed out- IF this were a problem, your car or truck would be sitting flat on the ground, the suspension springs having given out from being constantly compressed. And my 20 yr old F-150 is doing fine, thanx.
Go to Top of Page

rldowns3
Advanced Member

USA
6718 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2005 :  8:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have good, tempered springs, then keeping them compressed will not effect their ability to return to their origional shape. It is when they are continously compressed then released that they wear out.

Like somebody pointed out on the springs on a vehicle. They will last a long time (especially if all you do is city driving). I have seen them lose some of their arch and flatten out an inch or two but they can be reheated and bent back into shape and last another 30 years that way. Only ones I've seen go flat though were on trucks that were constantly pulling heavy loads in unpaved areas where the springs were flexed considerably and continously, over a period of several years.

Now if you have el-cheapo springs in your firearm that aren't properly made then you'll have problems.

Edited by - rldowns3 on 10/15/2005 8:56:43 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page