GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Value of antique squirrel rifle?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

olddog
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  7:18:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea what an old black powder squirrel rifle like this may be worth? I picked it up recently at a local estate/farm auction.

The lock is marked, “Pennsylvania Rifle Works”. The top of the barrel has an unreadable name that appears to end in “ORE” or “ORF”. After the name you can make out, “Louisville KY”.

It is a .36 caliber with a 40 & ½ inch barrel. The nipple is a modern replacement. The double set triggers and lock work fine. But it is in old used condition.

Any ideas?

Also, Should I decide to put this on the GunBroker auction block, do antique/black powder rifles like this have the same FFL requirements for shipping?

Thanks!

Contender Man

USA
2169 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  8:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Well I can help you with part of this. The other will take someone like the good "Capt. Kirk" or one of the others with a much more extensive blackpowder knowledge than I.

From the looks of it I would say that it is an older piece. How old and by whom is what I can't help with.

As for selling it at auction an no FFL involvement is needed, but you should get the buyer to send you a simple statement that they are legally allowed to purchase/keep a firearm and that they are over 21 years of age. I know someone will call me down on the age, but, go to the conservative/safe side and stick w/ 21 rather than 18. To back up their age claim get a xerox copy of their drivers license to go along with their statement and payment. Also, I'd suggest stating in your auction listing that the address on the driverrs license must be the same of the shipping address.

Sorry I can't be of more help. It's a nice old backaction smokepole and for what it is worth I think you should keep it ... if the bore is good you can have a lot of fun with these, and you'll be suprised at the accuracy.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!

Edited by - Contender Man on 10/20/2005 8:08:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

captkirk3@dslextreme.com
Administrator

5098 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  8:18:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PENNSYLVANIA RIFLE WORKS....G. Dunlap, Operator. Percussion Period. Makers of "Hardware Store" Guns...............................
This is from Satterlee and Gluckmann's Book on American Gun Makers..Nothing further in My database....

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff

Go to Top of Page

nyforester

USA
2319 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2005 :  10:10:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Olddog
Welcome to the forum.
That is a beautiful piece. Do you think it has been restored ? What do you think it is worth ?
Thanks,
Pete

Edited by - captkirk3@dslextreme.com on 10/21/2005 12:12:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

olddog
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  3:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears my image host is down… so I signed up for another one. Here is a re-post of the picture.

I do not believe it has been restored, although as I said the nipple is clearly not original.
From what I have told so far it appears to be one step above a "Poorboy" rifle... More of a "Working man's" gun.
Thanks for the information!

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37196 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  4:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be that as it may OldDog it is one more old working man's rifle than I own. I would regard it as a treasure.
Go to Top of Page

BOBBYWINS
Advanced Member

USA
7254 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  4:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would hang proudly over my mantle,if I had one.

(A mantle,that is.)

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
Go to Top of Page

nunn
Administrator

USA
35824 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2005 :  5:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar rifle, similar time period, different style, different part of the country, but you can get an idea.

http://www.GunBroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=38776585

FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on GunBroker. Visit www.GunBroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email gpd035@sbcglobal.net
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page