GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Remove Dovetail Sight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

timbroman

USA
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2005 :  11:36:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any insider tricks to removing a dovetail sight and installing another?

I'd like to knock out the fixed sight and install a target sight. The target sight has Allen-head set screws which apparently secure the sight in the dovetail groove. The existing sight appears to be only wedged in the groove.

Is there much more to it than driving them in/out with a brass punch or drift pin?

Thanks.

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3475 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  07:20:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
timbroman,
You'll likely get many responses on this, many better than mine, but I've played with more than a few dovetails, so I'll have a go.
Most sights will drive out left to right. Installation in the reverse, obviously. Use a brass drift punch, or even nylon tipped if it will work. If you have a rifle vice to hold the gun steady while you work that will help but it isn't critical. If the sight is either too loose, or too tight, rule number 1 is to work on the least expensive part if you must "bend, fold or mutilate." If too tight in the slot, a few judicious swipes with a fine file (on the sight, NOT the slot) should do the trick. If too loose you can try raising a few dimples on the underside of the sight with a pointed punch. Again, work on the sight, not the slot, if you can. In extreme cases a thin shim on the bottom of the slot might be needed.
Good luck.
Rob

Rob
Go to Top of Page

peabo
Advanced Member

3088 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  08:40:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the height of the adjustable sight is the same as the fixed sight, you will be ok. Most adj. sights are higher than fixed sights thereby requiring a new front sight to match the rear.
Thanks---Peabo

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
NRA Life Member
Go to Top of Page

timbroman

USA
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  09:58:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RC, thanks for the tips.
Peabo, now as I look at it with the new sight held at the approximate level it would lie if installed, I think at its lowest elevation it will be higher than the original fixed sight. Thanks for that thought - you are correct. This has gotten more complicated than it is worth. I think I'll put that adjustable sight back in its zip-lock baggie and put the whole affair on hold for now.
I appreciate the replies. Best, Tim

Go to Top of Page

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3475 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  9:13:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
Final thought:
If the front sight is dovetailed also; either directly into the barrel or into an integral or screwed on front ramp, then putting a higher front sight on your weapon should be no problem. If dovetailed directly into the barrel you might want to check out something like a Williams Shorty Ramp. Brownells would be one source. They use a dovetailed "blank" that's drilled and tapped in the center. You just drive it into the dovetail like an ordinary blank or sight, set the ramp on top, screw the ramp into place, then fit your new front sight into the ramp dovetail. Might even be able to use your original front sight.
Rob

Rob
Go to Top of Page

timbroman

USA
1107 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  12:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rob - Thanks. I'll revisit the project and report on outcome. Best, Tim

Go to Top of Page

1911a1fan
Advanced Member

Chile
31342 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  4:50:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
always use a nylon punch, and from the rear of the gun they will remove to the left, and make sure your hex head pin is a hex head pin and not just a pin, some are so small they appear to have a hex head but have to be punched out

Go to Top of Page

peabo
Advanced Member

3088 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2005 :  7:49:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, please don't give up yet! You didn't mention what the firearm is that you are working on, but what you are trying to do probably can be done. I was just suggesting one of the other things you may have to do to accomplish your mission. All of the suggestion posted are very good ideas. We would just like to help you 'get 'er done'.
Thanks---Peabo

Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see !!
NRA Life Member

Edited by - peabo on 10/26/2005 7:50:48 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page