GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Kart 1911 22LR Conversion information please.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

digicamlife
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  5:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anyone here who has any information on the Kart Sporting Arms Corp. of (more aptly, formerly of) Riverhead, NY? They produced 22LR conversions for Colt 1911 models but I can not find historical information about them anywhere on the web. I know that they have been mentioned in the forums before but as an aside not a subject.

See the conversion here:

http://www.johnjlevy.com/GB/1911ad.htm

I am looking for information related to how long they were in business, what happened to the tooling, is anyone supporting Kart conversions with parts and so on. Any information will be appreciated. I would like to add any information to my listing before offering it up.

Please no comments on the html. I have had that already. Just expert opinions on the gun.

Thanks,

John

nononsense

8882 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  9:39:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the only current Kart Corp. that I am familiar with that relates to fireams:

Kart Precision Barrel Corp.

3975 Garner Street SW
Shallotte, NC, 28470 USA
Tel. (910) 754-5212
Fax. (910) 754-5210

From Brownells:

Mfr: KART PRECISION BARREL

Uncompromising Quality For Added Performance & Better Accuracy

Forged from ordnance steel to strict, national match specs; rifled by a proprietary technique that holds lands and grooves to exceptionally close tolerances and leaves the surface finish mirror smooth. Air gauged to maintain .0002" tolerance through the bore. Feed ramps are throated for wadcutter ammo. Standard Barrel - Non-ramped, oversize hood, top and bottom lugs to achieve an exact fit for optimum match accuracy. Ramped Barrel - Fully supports the case head; gives direct feeding from magazine to chamber.

SPECS: 4150 ordnance steel. In-the-white. Available in 5" (12.7cm) or 6" (15.2cm) long. (W/N) Wilson/Nowlin ramp. (C/P) Clark/Para ramp. Ramped barrels require machining of frame. Requires gunsmith fitting.

Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13406 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2005 :  9:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I shot beside mr Kart years ago at Camp Perry when he first started making his conversions. At that time Fred was useing a jewelers saw to to cut a colt conversion units slide into 2 pieces and using a barrel of his design that used a micro groove blank. He went on to make slides himself as well as magazines with aluminum bases. later he moved to N.C. and started making 45 acp barrels for military pistol smiths to build match guns these had one deep and one shallow top locking lug so you could lock up The barrel on the pin and feet of bottom lugs and still have fireing pin hit center of primer. This and other reasons caused Fred to forgo starting back into production of the conversion units after his move to N.C. The last time I talked to him he had the tooling but could not say if or when he would ever go back into production . The later magazines had a fold over base. I buy Karts from retireing BULLS-EYE shooters and sell to new shooters that want one of his units . Now the good news There is a machinest in NEW york who makes an aluminum barrel shroud"the steel one is ok for IRON sights but very heavy to mount a red dot sight on" Mr JOHN DWORAK does this part time and is behind on new orders.He also makes complete units.IMHO the marvel unit shoots as good in most cases but has a design flaw that causes 2 problems because of the aluminum slide "not barrel shroud" the slide stop pin is disabled to keep from damageing the slide this causes the slide to close after the last round is fired letting the empty ejector "DING" the barrel and dry fireing on now empty chamber can also damage barrel. I don't want to toot my own horn but I make a magazine follower that will hold the slide back on a marvel unit.Cheers PERRY SHOOTER
Go to Top of Page

firestoper
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2012 :  10:14:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a good Kart 5" conversion kit, know of one or where i can get one, Thanks, John Arnold JARNOLDIII@YAHOO.COM 402-486-0001
Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13406 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  08:51:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There has been 2 different ones for sale right here on GunBroker. Search Kart they may still be listed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page