GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Kel Tec 40. . .anyone ever try one?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13598 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  07:21:13 AM  Show Profile
Seems like an awful lot of gun for a tiny package. . .

Anyone have any experience with these?

leeblackman
Advanced Member

5536 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  08:05:40 AM  Show Profile
I love'em. Its a little uncomfortable to shoot. Your cheek goes against a metal tube, and every time you squeeze the trigger, it feels like someone is hitting you in the face. Simple fix. I got some foam tape, cut out a rectangle, stuck it on, and I'm rocking and rolling. It's accurate, reliable, and will fold up to fit just about anywhere.

Go to Top of Page

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  10:42:08 AM  Show Profile
I think you people are talking about two different guns? Ones a handgun the other a rifle.Kel-Tec no longer manufactures the .40 handgun but continue to make the rifle.

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

"And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"

"My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as
sharp as it used to be."

ATF,Eagle Guns
Go to Top of Page

tneff1969
Advanced Member

USA
5210 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  10:56:10 AM  Show Profile
I have the 40 handgun , little small for someone with big hands. Never had any problems and has spit out anything I have put in it, not to bad for a concealed carry if thats your intended purpose.

Neo-Jedi
Order

Go to Top of Page

Pearyw
Advanced Member

3748 Posts

Posted - 11/20/2005 :  1:30:59 PM  Show Profile
The P-40 is what I use for a pocket carry gun. I have 2. One I put together from a P-11 and the conversion kit. The other is a chrome slide model that I bought when they were being discontinued. Magazines are a problem. Kel-tec made 3 versions and the last one is the one that works the best. I have not had any problems with them. They do best with the lighter bullets such as the 155 gr.

Go to Top of Page

leeblackman
Advanced Member

5536 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2005 :  04:00:03 AM  Show Profile
The P40 packs way to much recoil for me, totally unpleasant shooting experience. I was just assuming that you were talking about the folding carbine because they don't make the p40 anymore.

Go to Top of Page

beantownshootah
Advanced Member

USA
13598 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  02:57:12 AM  Show Profile
I meant the P40 .40 caliber pistol. The gun unloaded weighs 15 ounces. . .that would probably give this gun the highest power/weight ratio out of any compact gun.

Next question. . .I know that Kel-Tec used to make a conversion kit that would convert their 9mm into a .40.

Anyone know if there is a reverse conversion to switch the .40s to 9mm?

EDIT:
OK, I just checked the Kel_Tec owners group website and found the answer there. The answer is that it is since the frame of the P40 and P11 are the same, it is possible to put a 9mm P11 top on a P40 and convert it to 9mm. The problem with doing this, though, is that it doesn't pay. The cost of the replacement parts (new slide, barrel, springs) is close to $200, while a whole brand-new 9mm P11 can be had for under $250.

Interestingly you can convert the .40 to 357 Sig with a simple barrel change, if for some reason you are so inclined.

More P40 facts, the gun was only manufactured for a few years, and Kel-Tec ceased manufacture because they got too many complaints about the gun not functioning properly. In fact, the gun does function fine, but due to the massive power from such a light frame it has a pronounced tendency to cause "limp wrist" jamming. The gun is highly prized by some because of its unprecedented power/weight ratio and high capacity (up to 11 or 12 rounds with the right mags).

Edited by - beantownshootah on 11/26/2005 09:46:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

abcguns2
Advanced Member

USA
2710 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  10:14:27 AM  Show Profile
Yes ,
Indeed , I do love mine ... I 'carry' mine "off duty" all the time , have shot it apx. 450 rnds , with NO PROBLEMS !!!! trust it enough to protect my life !!!! end of story , by the way I carry a Glock 40 cal. 4 'on duty'..............
Good Luck !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunsmith / LEO
Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!
Go to Top of Page

groovinmonkey

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  7:45:03 PM  Show Profile
I have the p-ll and have shot the p-40, while it is a bit to hold on too I found that if you put a hogue handall on it and cut to fit than its much easier to hold and fire accurately and yes its probably the lightest hicap .40cal we will see for a while so hold on to it LITERALLY!!

Monkey says:
crowded elevator smells different to a midget

Go to Top of Page

paulh
Starting Member

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2006 :  10:22:06 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone know where to get magazines for the Kel-Tec 40 pistol? I read above that they are hard to find. I really need your help. Thanks

Paul Holland
paulh@iglide.net
Go to Top of Page

abcguns2
Advanced Member

USA
2710 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2006 :  08:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Just how many p40 mags do you want ??? yes they are available......
Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunsmith / LEO
Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

Guns & Shooting!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2017 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page