GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Llama 9m/m(38) .38 super
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

staaf
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  8:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am curious if anybody has any info on this Llama 1911 look a like. One side of the slide reads Llama cal. 9m/m(38) and the other side says cal. 38 super "Llama Especial" and on the grip made in spain. I am just curious of proper ammo will it take 9mm largo and 38 super and possible value of this I saw one go for around three hundred. Where to get parts, if there is a 22 conversion. Thanks.

1911a1-fan
Advanced Member

Chile
31396 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  8:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.38 super, and take my advice stay away from it 300 sounds to good to pass up, but i would pass at 200, they take their own parts, and are hard to come by, and are cheaply made jamo-matics

9mm=.355
.38 super=.356

Go to Top of Page

jonk
Advanced Member

9776 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2005 :  9:41:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have one of their guns...... an old one like this. Mine was made for 9mm largo, or 38 auto, but NOT 38 super which is higher pressure.

A lot of older llamas are actually pretty good quality compared to their new junk. I paid $200 for mine.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
Go to Top of Page

abcguns2
Advanced Member

USA
2690 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  10:19:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O.K. , we have had several of these over the years , these are much better guns than the new llama junk , but , parts are very hard to come by and in most cases standard 1911 style parts will not work ...
Do Not shoot 38 super in these (will chamber in most), 9mm largo is the correct round in most cases in these (we have some of this ammo!) and it is still available in various places ...The 300 price range is at the top of the scale on these in great cond. , we consider these @
150-250 items on the average , depending on cond. and variation ...
Good Luck !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunsmith / LEO
Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

I love guns & Shooting!
Go to Top of Page

1911a1-fan
Advanced Member

Chile
31396 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  3:19:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys so funny

Llama {pronounced yyama}, made a 1911 in 9mm largo in 1931, and they designed it with what they called the “tolerant chamber” it was designed to shoot the 9x23largo and 9x19luger cartridge to compete with astras 400 model ,stamped "CAL 9M/M 38 "LLAMA" with “llama extra” on the opposite side {aka model IV}

and they where one of the first to clone the colt with a .38 auto handgun{not .38 super} , then when the .38 super was conceived to reach higher velocities yyama also followed suit with there “large frame auto” stamped "CAL 9M/M 38 "LLAMA" but added “.38 super” to the opposite side of the slide with "LLAMA ESPECIAL" to read ".38 super LLAMA ESPECIAL" they produced them until the early 90’s as .38 supers

look up load data for both cartridges the largo is not weak at all comparing to the .38 super and can be loaded to equal velocities

Go to Top of Page

zipperzap
Advanced Member

31626 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2005 :  5:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoa! 1911a1fan, nice post!
Didn't leave ANYTHING out!
Go to Top of Page

staaf
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2005 :  01:47:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page