GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Browning BAR questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

charles scott
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2005 :  10:57:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been contemplating the purchase of a new semi-auto rifle. I am leaning towards the browning BAR's. Can someone please tell me the difference between the Longtrac and ShortTrac models? Maybe I'm missing something but I have looked at Browning's website and can't tell the difference. The only thing I see is that comparing both models in the 270win, the shorttrac's barrel is 1" longer than the longtrac and the Longtrac is a little lighter. Other than that, what is the diff?? Any thoughts on performance of either models for deer?

Thanks in advance,

Charles

11b6r
Advanced Member

USA
13192 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  08:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charles- I cannot speak to quality of present day brownings- but I have a BAR Grade 2 in 243 that I inherited from my dad (made in Belgium). It will consistently shoot 5 shot 1 inch groups at 100 meters, and has taken more Virginia Whitetails than you can shake a stick at. Also does a real fine job on groundhogs and prairie dogs.

"I have good news and bad. Make it through, you don't have to prove anything to anyone the rest of your life. Bad news- you have to prove it to me first." CSM, US Army Ranger School.
Go to Top of Page

charles scott
Starting Member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2005 :  11:00:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, I guess the Longtrac is more to my liking. Quality still seems very good and the BAR's are made in Belgium, well at least the barrel is.

Thanks again,
Charles
Go to Top of Page

coreware
Starting Member

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  02:05:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend of mine served in the middle east around 2003. He found a true BAR in some storage shed they raided. They probably got it off the French, since we sold a ton of our BARs to them when we stopped using them. (This is how the NVA got ahold of a few of them.)

He couldn't take it back, only look. I imagined they blew it up. So sad.

Don't they make semi-auto versions of the military ones?

Edited by - coreware on 12/10/2005 02:06:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

codenamepaul
Advanced Member

3186 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2005 :  02:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coreware

A friend of mine served in the middle east around 2003. He found a true BAR in some storage shed they raided. They probably got it off the French, since we sold a ton of our BARs to them when we stopped using them. (This is how the NVA got ahold of a few of them.)

He couldn't take it back, only look. I imagined they blew it up. So sad.

Don't they make semi-auto versions of the military ones?

Yes. Different rifle than what is being discussed here

When the meekest of men raise their fist at you in defiance, you have lost. It is just a matter then of admitting it to yourself.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page