GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 25-06 or 7mm-08
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BIGHEAD T

133 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile
Please compare the two ballistics and performance as pretaining to whitetail hunting. I have a 25*06 but can get a deal on a 7mm-o8.

RCrosby
Advanced Member

3475 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  09:46:10 AM  Show Profile
For whitetail, either round will do the job, and do it well, out beyond any range you should be considering from a typical field position. I wouldn't buy the 7mm expecting it to do more than the 25, but if you want another gun, a 7-08 would be a fine choice. Essentially duplicates 7mm Mauser ballistics in new and somewhat shorter package. It will shoot a heavier bullet than the .25, but with all the good premiums available today I'd never feel undergunned with the smaller bore.
Good luck.

Rob
Go to Top of Page

mbsams

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:29:14 AM  Show Profile
I live in Arizona where we hunt a little whitetail deer called a coues deer in the higer parts of the desert. Long, long shots are the norm, I use a 25-06 with a 100gr Nosler BT at 3400 fps. Really good for long shots at coyotes too. And the lighter pills really go for smaller varmints. I had a couple 7mm's in the past. OK but not as good as the 25-06. Now if your want to go for ELK too, then maybe the 7 if you are a one gun hunter. My -06 is a piller beded Savage and will put 10 shots into 3/4 at 100 yds. And the recoil is very mild. The 7's kick noticably harder. The bottom line is the -06 is a much better varmint and light big game gun at long range and the 7 would be better for bigger stuff.
Go to Top of Page

sandwarrior
Advanced Member

USA
5328 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:52:12 AM  Show Profile
The ony thing I would say is a 7mm-08 would give a little more assurance in the big game dept.
If you want to compare ballistics you can do this yourself at the jbm trajectory calculation page. Type in a search for that. Use the links for the bullet type. There are other ballistic sites that give reasonbly close results. For hunting, pay attention to the energy values versus the drops. What you usually find is that you have enough energy for a clean kill ... but it takes elevation adjustments to get you there with any rifle at extended ranges. When you get the chance to shoot at long ranges have some of the programs for the loads you will use with you and compare how close your results are with the computer results. Don't forget OAT and altitude factors when you shoot. -good luck

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
Go to Top of Page

heavyiron

USA
1408 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2005 :  10:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi,

There is virtually no difference in the ballistics between the 25-06 and 7mm-08 loaded with 120 grain bullets as illustrated in the graphs below. The 7mm-08 picks up where the 25-06 stops.

I think RCrosby has made the right point, in that the 25-06 is good for varmints to deer, but if you intend to hunt larger game, then the 7mm-08 would be the cartridge of choice. The 7mm-08 is should be suitable for everything in the lower 48, except for bear. The 7mm-08 can be used with up to 175 grain bullets so it is also very flexible.

Regards,

Heavyiron

"If I don't see you nomore on this world, I'll meet you on the next one, and don't be late!" - Jimi Hendrix
Go to Top of Page

Michibay

USA
615 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2005 :  01:59:04 AM  Show Profile
I have not had personal experience...but I am beginning to think that a real sleeper is the .260 Remington...it's balistics are slightly better than either the 25-06 or the 7-08...and it should recoil less. For deer you could use the 120 grain and for Elk the 140 pills should do the job. I realize there are not many rifles manufactured in the .260 and ammo is not super available...but none the less...I would think it should be a honey of a cartridge. Another thing...the 25-06 usually needs a 24 inch bbl...that's on the long side...the 260 should perform well with a 22 incher.
Go to Top of Page

wabailey
Starting Member

4 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  10:47:40 PM  Show Profile
I have a 7mm-08 and checked the ballistics against the 25-06. It has more energy but is not quite as fast as the 25.06. Buy the new Hornady Light Mag ammo 139 grain . I found that the 08 is faster than my 30.06.
quote:
Originally posted by BIGHEAD T

Please compare the two ballistics and performance as pretaining to whitetail hunting. I have a 25*06 but can get a deal on a 7mm-o8.

Go to Top of Page

carbine100

USA
2417 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2006 :  08:30:00 AM  Show Profile
7-08 has turned into my 2nd favorite caliber. (2nd to .284 Win) I have 3; TC encore, Rem Model 7, and 700 Titanium. All are extremely accurate, and have done excellent job on deer and pigs. I also own a Ruger #1 in 25-06. My choice between the two goes to use. I have typical southern whitetail scopes of the -08's and a long range target scope on the -06. Both are great calibers.

Don't re-elect anybody, not even your mother!
Go to Top of Page

SCorvers

USA
2034 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  2:04:20 PM  Show Profile
Just get one of each. You can never have too many guns.

It is not your duty to die for your country, but to KILL for it.
Go to Top of Page

Teamblue

831 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  9:40:14 PM  Show Profile
PSSSSST....

.260 Rem.

No dissapointments.

TB

Det. 10, 1st ECRG USAF '89-'92

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
Go to Top of Page

HeavyBarrel

1551 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  10:18:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Teamblue

PSSSSST....

.260 Rem.

No dissapointments.

TB

+1
Go to Top of Page

ryan_marine

644 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  10:33:57 PM  Show Profile
25-06 because I can find ammo more often than the 7-08 in my neck of the woods. Also can find that it can be used for more than a deer rifle.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead
Go to Top of Page

zacg

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  11:12:37 PM  Show Profile
I have no experience with the 08 but have been shooting a 25-06 for about 12yrs. 100g Barns tripple shock for elk deer and antelope and 75g hollow points for anything smaller. Always does the trick if you put the bullet in the right spot, But i guess thats true with a lot of calibers.

zac
Go to Top of Page

ghotie_thumper

1742 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  01:59:08 AM  Show Profile
I have both. I've had my 25-06 for about 14yrs and just got the 7-08 last yr. The 25 is an absolute hammer as you probably already know. I don't mean it kicks, because it doesn't, I mean it flattens deer like a hammer. It used to be referred to as the flattest shooting non-magnum available for a factory cartridge. It still smokes em. The 7-08 is a sleeper. As you can see by the charts posted it holds it's own against the 2506 out to any range. I don't think either one can be placed above the other as a pure deer cartridge. If you can get a deal on a 7-08 get it, it doesn't seem to kick quite as much as the 25 (which is easily manageable), and it definitely does the job from the deers perspective. I think if you are looking to improve on the 25-06 for a deer caliber it won't be possible, but I would say the same thing if you owned the 7-08 and were looking at the 25-06. They aren't the same but the results on deer are, both are near perfect deer calibers.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page