GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 removal of Weaver choke tube on trenchgun
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tommy45autos

274 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  7:44:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks: I have an Ithica Mod 37 trenchgun with a Weaver full choke tube mounted on it.I would like to remove it without damage.I dout if this is GI issue.Thankyou,Tommy

Edited by - tommy45autos on 12/26/2005 08:14:58 AM

D.S.COLE

653 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2005 :  8:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If what you have is an old weaver choke system from back in the 50's -60's then there is a compensator type tube mounted on the end of the barrel. A choke tube screws into it like current day tubes screw into a barrel.
When Weaver installed it the barrel was cut off losing all the factory choke. Shooting it without the tube installed would be like using a current one with no tube in it. Will ruin the threads and probably not pattern good at all. If you are talking about removing the whole thing the compensator (fat part of it ) is probably silver soldered or sweated on. It can be removed but you are left with a cut off cylinder bore barrel. If you search around you may find some of the old screw on tubes in different chokes. I had an Ithaca 37 way back that had 3 different tubes with it.

<BR>
Go to Top of Page

tommy45autos

274 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  08:13:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks:This choke tube is mounted on a Model 37 WWII trench gun.I doubt if this is GI issue.
Go to Top of Page

wundudnee
Advanced Member

5291 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  09:05:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right, it didn't come that way from the military. A lot of the old riot and trench guns were modified after WWll to hunting firearms. They were cheap and plentiful. I wish that the only issue with my Model 12 riot was the Weaver choke system. It has been checkered (right on the WB cartouche stock), choked, recoil pad and beavertail forearm. I am watching your thread with interest, as I once had delusions of putting my shotgun back original. I have hunted with this gun all my life. I bought it used at Montgomery Wards with a sheeplined Boyt case in 1955 for $55.00.

Now this is the epitome of Bubba.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black

Go to Top of Page

JIM STARK

1593 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  10:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks,
If the barrels you are discussing are truly "trenchgun" barrels, they will have three evenly spaced (1-1/2" apart) grooves in the bottom of the muzzle end of the barrel..These grooves start 3/8" from the muzzle, are cut almost halfway thru the barrel wall thickness, and are used to accommodate the screws that attach the handguard / bayonet lug to the barrel... The grooves keep the hanguard from spinning on the barrel when gripped with the left hand, when stuffing and twisting while useing the bayonet on the enemy...
Both "trench" and "riot" barrels are 20 to 20-1/2" in length.. The riot barrel is of a standard wall thickess and comes with a bead type front sight... The trench barrel is much thicker to accommodate the above discussed grooves, and comes without a sight, since the sight is incorporated into the bayonet lug...
It is most likely that the attached choke rigs have rendered these barrels unrestorable, If you decide to restore the piece, you may be ahead of the game if you can locate an original barrel..
Go to Top of Page

hedgehopper62

780 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  10:57:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some military shotguns come with choke tubes I have a model 31 remington that has a cutts compensator that has changeable tubes made in 1942.they were used to train tail gunners.tks.hedge
Go to Top of Page

tommy45autos

274 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2005 :  2:23:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Folks:On the bbl(serial # 61xxx matches reciever).Has flaming bomb and RLB on left side of reciever,bbl has P proof and what looks like an oval circle with a point on top and an opening at bottom.The grooves start 1" from the muzzle and are spaced 11/2" apart.The Weaver choke appears to be sweated on since I can't see any solder inside or out.Tommy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page