GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 .22 Remington Rolling Block
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

redpost
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  12:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought a Remington No. 4 rolling block in .22 caliber in the late '60's with a 22-1/2" octagon barrel. Serial number is 171763. It breaks down by rotating a lever on the right side of the case hardened receiver. This permits the barrel to be removed with the fore grip. It is fitted with a fixed range open sight. This pattern was popular with boys and poachers in the early 20th century. I would like to know what price range a rifle like this could fetch in good to very good condition.

Edited by - redpost on 01/03/2006 8:18:18 PM

wundudnee
Advanced Member

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  08:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like a #4 Remington and there are to many variables to give a good price estimate. You can find decent shootable examples for $200.00-$400.00, but an excellent collectible, who knows? Here is a pretty good rifle that I bought last year for $200.00. It's the top one in the picture.

Quote from okkim ...
Make a mental note "do not get upset with dumbasses"

Go to Top of Page

abcguns2
Advanced Member

USA
2690 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  10:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes , Photos and or more info would help , sounds like a possible #4 , if so , please contact us ...
Thanks !!!
d.a.stearns
Gunsmith / LEO
Niota , Tn

My dog is the best person I know...
If only more people could be as loyal and honest as my dog!!!

Guns & Shooting!!!
Go to Top of Page

redpost
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2006 :  8:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Henry0Reilly

If you want more than just wild guesses, we're gonna need a model number and/or pictures.

I've added model, serial number, and photo to the forum topic ".22 Remington Rolling Block". Thanks for your comments.
Go to Top of Page

surbat6

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  4:30:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wundudnee, not only is that a nice-looking No.4, but appears to be a real nice No.6 below. The 2nd gun I ever owned was a "Model 6 Improved" I bought for $20 back in 1968 (the "improved" model was a redesign using a much slimmer profile to the receiver). The Gun Trader's Guide that year listed a value of $5 for that rifle. I felt a bit better about my purchase when the price guides started quoting values over $50 for that little single shot. At whatever price, it's always been fun to shoot.

"I think of my gun as a tool for converting worthless human garbage into valuable fertilizer." John Dollar in the novel "Bridge City" by Fred Rexer
Go to Top of Page

wundudnee
Advanced Member

5299 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2006 :  8:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by surbat6

Wundudnee, not only is that a nice-looking No.4, but appears to be a real nice No.6 below. The 2nd gun I ever owned was a "Model 6 Improved" I bought for $20 back in 1968 (the "improved" model was a redesign using a much slimmer profile to the receiver). The Gun Trader's Guide that year listed a value of $5 for that rifle. I felt a bit better about my purchase when the price guides started quoting values over $50 for that little single shot. At whatever price, it's always been fun to shoot.

Not trying to hijack redpost's thread, but here is a better picture of the #6. It shows the case colors and the little flip up sheetmetal peep sight. The rifle on top is an 027 Hamilton, probably the cheapest made boy's rifle ever produced. Everything on the Hamilton is stamped sheetmetal, including the receiver and brass lined sheetmetal wrapped barrel.

Quote from okkim ...
Make a mental note "do not get upset with dumbasses"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page