GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 winchester 284 semi auto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sillydog
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  9:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just inherited a Winchester 284 semi auto rifle, only to find out that Winchester has discontinued manufacture of ammunition for that caliber.

beyond self-loading, are there any other (good) sources for ammunition for this gun?

Is this gun likely to become obsolete except to those who are self-loading collectors?

Because it was my grandfather's, I am reluctant to sell it but if I do, is there a market for this rifle? My grandfather certainly touted the benefits of this particular gun.

Any thoughts, advice, or information is appreciated.

JimmyJack

USA
1884 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  9:27:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should be able to find ammo for years to come. I guessing that you have a Model 100? It is very collectable, and the caliber makes it that way. Keep it, or if you decide to sell it research prices, before you let it go. I would love to find one reasonable in that caliber.
Go to Top of Page

bud_light_good

98 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  9:53:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here we go.....if jimmy is correct and i am assumeing he is, the model 100 win.this rifle is a gas operated, semiauto, and chambered for the 243,308 and 284, center cartridges, it was avabile in the rifle version with 22" round barrel and a carbine version with a 19" barrel. both had detachable box magazine, the stock was a one piece design with pistol grip and was offered in either hand cut cherckin or pressed basket weave cherckin, rifles was introduced in 1961 and the carbine in 1967, the model 100 was last producded in 1973,with about 263,000,,,WARNING THE MODEL 100 HAS BEEN RECALLED. DO NOT PRUCHASE THIS MODEL WITHOUT FIRT DETERMING IF THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN REPAIRED......do not know the problem,was not spesfied in any of my books, it was recalled,some one else might know.....carbine price in exc condition is 625.00, and regular rifle in exc is 525.00 in my book..

BUD
Go to Top of Page

Talking Head

708 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Winchester Model 100 recall is due to a problem with the firing pin breaking. The rifle can be returned to Winchester and have a new, re-designed firing pin installed. As mentioned, this rifle should not be fired until the firing pin has been replaced, due to the fact that if the old firing pin breaks the broken part could become lodged in the bolt/boltface and cause the rifle to fire before the action is completely closed.

As for ammo, as far as I know Winchester continues to make a 150 grain load for this cartridge (as shown on their website).

Go to Top of Page

bigcountry_75214

519 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello SD,
There is currently at least 15 boxes of 284 Winchester ammo for sale on THIS site at this time. Looks to be fairly cheap(around $20 per box). Keep it in the familt, don't sell it. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

00scoots

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2006 :  11:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could never understand why the .284 never caught on, I think it's a great cartridge for short action rifles. Reloading brings out the versatility of the .284.

A friend of mine (?????) sold his model 100 in .284 (without telling me, I might add). The poor fool has been crying the Blues ever since!

Go to Top of Page

carbine100

USA
2417 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  10:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The model 100's in 284 are bringing more than quoted above. Especially pre-64(cut checkering) and carbines. Ammo is not hard to find on the auctions, but a little pricey. Save your brass and find someone local to reload. The 284 is a great round. If you ever want to sell, GunBroker does well with them.

Don't re-elect anybody, not even your mother!
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8948 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sillydog,

I thought it was silly wabbit... never mind.

From Winchester's website:

"If your question remains unanswered, please call our Consumer Department directly at: 800.333.3288 or 801.876.2711"

This link contains other useful information:

http://www.winchesterguns.com/services/faq/detail.asp?ID=61

Winchester does not accept either the Model 88 or 100 back for recall repair. The repairs are being jobbed out to outside repair venders or warrantee repair stations. Here is the information on the recall and the repair process from Jim Wisner's website:

WINCHESTER MODEL 100 FIRING PIN RECALL - A notice dated 7-1990 relates the following:

“PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING AND REPLACEMENT NOTICE. Attention owners of Winchester model 100 rifles and carbines please read this notice. In July of 1990 the following product safety warning was issued by Winchester. It has come to our attention that the firing pin in the Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine may break due to use and metal fatigue and become lodged in the breech bolt face. If this occurs, the firearm may fire before the action is locked causing severe damage to the firearm and possibly injury or death to the shooter and bystander.

WARNING DO NOT SHOOT YOUR WINCHESTER MODEL 100 RIFLE OR CARBINE. Repair and replacement. A new firing pin has been designed to replace the firing pin originally made for the Winchester Model 100 Rifle and Carbine. The new firing pins will be available in April 1991. If you own a Winchester Model 100 Rifle or Carbine, please send your firearm to one of the authorized Winchester Model 100 Firing Pin Replacement Centers indicated below. Your Winchester Model 100 firearm will be inspected, the firing pin replaced and tested and the firearm returned to you. The inspection, replacement/testing and return postage will be accomplished at no cost to you. If other repair or maintenance work is authorized by you to be performed on the firearm when the firing pin is replaced, such work shall be at your cost.”

(I'm not sure that these are even the correct repair companies currently. Call Winchester Customer Service)

W. R. Long Gunsmiths
2007 Brook Road North
Cobourg, Ontario K9A4W4
Canada

Frank LeFever & Sons
RD 2 Box 31
Lee Center, NY 13363
USA

Bolsa Gunsmithing
7404 Bolsa Avenue
Westminister, CA 92683
USA

Nu Line Guns
1053 Caulks Hill Road
Harvester, MO 63303
USA

If you have any questions concerning this notice, call Winchester Product Service 1-800-852-5734 or write to Winchester Firing Pin replacement Notice, PO Box 10 Cottage Hills Illinois 62018 Attention Product Service Dept. Maybe old information...
-------------------------
The difference in the old firing pin and the new one is as follows. The old replaced style, was totally lathe tuned (round). While the new recall style is similar in lathe turning on the front and back, but in the front midsection it has two flats milled, one on each side. This makes the center section stronger. Also replaced is the bolt sleeve lock pin (firing pin guide) which was made to accommodate this different shaped firing pin

Part number for the new parts are, firing pin =1391ND, bolt sleeve locking pin =1491ND

The word was at the time this recall was in process was that if the firing pin would break at the mid section and still remain in the gun as two pieces, the possibility of a premature discharge before the bolt was locked was possible. This apparently was caused by the firing pin tip (now not having a retracting spring) to be stuck forward, and thereby slam-firing upon chambering.

The responsibility for the recall apparently was on Olin, as they were the parent company at time of manufacture. Olin set up regional recall centers at three established US gunshops. There was a manufacturing delay in the replacement firing pins, and a backlog occurred, also some collectors did not like the idea of shipping their guns long distances. Olin then also authorized other gunshops to make the required alterations. Upon completion of the recall, the shops were to test fire the firearm and to stamp an assigned letter on the inside top of the receiver as seen thru the magazine well with the bolt retracted. The letter “B” represented Bolsa Gunsmithing, “L” was Lefever, and “N” was for Nu-line Guns. The letter “X” apparently was for all the other independent shops. However this identification information did not get communicated to some of the smaller shops at the start of the project. The only way to tell if the gun as been modified, if the ”letter” is not present, is to take the barrel & action out of the stock, remove the trigger guard assembly and the try to rotate the firing pin by twisting it. If it does NOT rotate, then the firing pin recall HAS been performed.

This is part of a very good over view of the Model 88 and 100 as written by Jim Wisner. Worthwhile reading:

http://www.wisnersinc.com/additionalinfo/winchesterl_88_100.htm

"I could never understand why the .284 never caught on, I think it's a great cartridge for short action rifles. Reloading brings out the versatility of the .284."

It is a great cartridge for short action rifles... when you put a barrel on the action that is long enough to utilize the case capacity efficiently. The .284 case has about the same capacity as the '06 case. The 19" and 22" barrels don't provide the length needed to burn all of the powder that the case is loaded with so you end up wasting powder and not achieving the velocities advertised. The secondary effect the we all notice from the shorter barrels is the increase in noise. They bark pretty loud when the muzzle is that close to your ears.

I would put all this aside and not worry about it at all. Hold onto that Model 100 in .284 Win. and keep remembering what your Grandfather told you. When you get the time or the motivation, read some reloading manuals and get a buddy to help you set up for reloading. It is a lifelong hobby that can be incredibly rewarding.

Best.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page