GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Know anything about a Simmons "Quails Fargo" S/S
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GoldenDog1
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  10:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have recently found what would appear to be a potential treasure. It's a side-by-side 20 gauge double barrel. The barrel is stamped Simmons "Quails Fargo," Kansas City, MO. I did a google search and learned that there was a Simmons Hardware Company out of Kansas City which went bankrupt in '39, merged with a similar company which subsequently went out of business in '60. Simmons Hardware did manufacture shotguns and did other tooling as well throughout the country. When I searched GunBroker for Simmons, I turned up a few hits where a few high quality Browning O/U Belgium shotguns were equipped with a Simmons barrel. I also got a few hits for barrels on Winchester Model 12's which had vent ribs from a Simmons Specialties company from the Kansas City area. I can't tell whether these are the same "Simmons".
This guns' fit and finish and condition is fantastic. The wood is a nice walnut, but not a fancy exhibition grade, the receiver is case colored without engraving, and it has 1 trigger. The barrel is 24". I am thinking this could be a collector piece from the 40's or perhaps a reasonably old custom made gun. If anyone knows anything about this gun or where I may be able to research more info, please respond to this topic.
Thanks

Edited by - GoldenDog1 on 02/22/2006 10:40:17 PM

Ross

USA
176 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2006 :  11:58:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the late '50's and early '60's Dakin (IIRC) imported a sweet little 20 ga SXS called the Quails Fargo. It was the most fetching shotgun I've ever picked up, though I've never fired one. The $125.00 was $200 more than this college kid could handle on the $110 per month G.I. bill education benefit.
Likely others also imported the same gun.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross
Go to Top of Page

bud_light_good

98 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  07:20:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darkin gun company san fran,california,,a 12 and 20 guage box lock double barrel shotgun, with a 26 or 28" barrels, various chokes, extractors and double triggers, engraved, blued, with a checkered walnut stock, manufactured in the 1960,s, unless the gun has been customed, 24 " barrel, I am guessin it is not from Dakin!im goin to look some more!

Bud!
Go to Top of Page

bud_light_good

98 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  07:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
possibly you might have a CRESCENT F.A. COMPANY GUN!BUT JUST A QUESS, they had a brand named gun called a QUAIL, but my books do not go father in to depth, sorry, some one will know!

BUD!
Go to Top of Page

GoldenDog1
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  09:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies. I have subsequently discovered that The Simmon's Quails Fargo was manufactured for Simmons by Savage. I have yet to find out if it uses the Belgium barrels that Simmons buys to install their Vent. Ribs for premium gun accessories or something of less quality. I intend to call Simmons Specialties in KC today and hopefully get some info. Savage also bought Fox and used them to offer shotguns of higher fit and finish than their normal Savage or Stevens brands. I need to find out whether this gun falls into the Fox product mfg. or is of less quality.

It's definitely a challenge to research these lesser known types of firearms with a little age on them. I definitely agree with Ross who responded to my thread in that it feels great in your hands and points super, wonderfully balanced. I think I will buy it regardless. Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

00scoots

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  09:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Blue Book has the Simmons Quails Fargo made by Fox.
My brother has the same shotgun: 20ga., SXS with vent rib & ejectors.
Shot my only doubles on grouse with this shotgun.

Go to Top of Page

GoldenDog1
Starting Member

31 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2006 :  4:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I called Simmons Specialties and got the total lowdown to my question and thought I would share my answers with you for your info. During the sixties, Simmons Specialties, whose niche in the firearms market is high-quality ventilated ribs and replacement/accessory barrels with their VR's, decided to offer their own branded Shotgun. They contracted with Savage/Stevens to convert a variant of the Stevens Model 311 20 gauge, manufacture the barrel at 24" vs. 26/28/30 inches, use a case colored hammerless boxlock receiver, convert from double triggers to a single trigger, and then Simmons would install their vent rib with high visability "glow-worm" front bead. The barrels are not Belgium, but rather stock 311 grade barrels. They ceased production of this shotgun in 1969. There were not many of these produced, but I have yet to find out just how many.

And now you know as much as I do. Thanks for everyone's help.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page