GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 colt 1911 40/50 rnd. drum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjalms

92 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2006 :  9:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering has anyone out their have any info. on the 40 and 50 round drum offered on a particuler gun sight for the 1911 and is it quality or are there problems with it besides the weight? Thanks Mike

leeblackman
Advanced Member

5534 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2006 :  05:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know they are really just novelty items. If you plan on playing with one, you might thing about having a replacement magazine release on hand, just in case.
Go to Top of Page

dfmccarthy
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  08:59:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having always had a weakness for large capacity magazines I bought a Taylor Mk - I .45 Pistol Drum. It holds 25 rounds centered under the pistol grip. Amazingly, with FMJ ball ammo it has actually worked. You need the included loading tool and the strength of King Kong to load the last few rounds though.

Note: The .45ACP round is NOT straight walled. The round is tapered. That is why single column magazines larger than eleven rounds will not feed. When double column .45's were brought out they could slant the magazine walls to solve this problem. (Narrower in front - wider in rear)

I haven't seen or heard of drums larger than 25 rounds. Can you give further info? And any thoughts on what this drum is worth today?
Go to Top of Page

65triton
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2006 :  8:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
www.centerfiresystems.com has 40rd drums for $69.97 in colt 1911, h&k usp, glock 21, para p14, and ruger p90, all in .45 acp
Go to Top of Page

dfmccarthy
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  9:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info about centerfiresystems.com. I checked their site and the 40 round "1911" drum illustrated appears to have a straight portion that is double column. If so, it might fit a Para Ordnance .45, but not your basic 1911A1 Colt or copy. The Taylor drum I have is for a single column 1911 frame.

I sent centerfiresystems an email asking them about the single/double column question. If they answer I'll post it.
Go to Top of Page

mjalms

92 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  10:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a friend that owed me a couple hundred and asked if I would take it in trade for a rock Island armory 45 (new in the box) I haven't owned a 45 before so why not but I was wondering this seems to look like the tapered mag like in the photo on center fire systems for the drum mag is this what U are talking about and are these ok pistols (dfmccarthy)?
Go to Top of Page

hughbetcha
Advanced Member

USA
8520 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  9:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandfather was a gunmake/gunsmith for the IRA back around 1920. He told me about converting 1911 .45s to full auto and welding two or three magazines together to increase firepower.
Go to Top of Page

fishkiller41
Advanced Member

USA
39411 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  10:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the 10/22 50 round drums from center fire sys. any better than the crappola available in stick form ? Do thay have plastic lips,or metal?
Anyone used them, or know??
Thanx gents.
Jeff

The achievements of an organization are the result of the combined effort of each individual.
Vince Lombardi

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"....
Go to Top of Page

bigcountry_75214

519 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  11:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can get a copy of American Rifleman, Dec. 2005 page 28, there is an add from 25 years ago(Dec. 1980) advertising 30 round drums for sale for 1911 .45s. Manufactured by Bingham LTD.
Go to Top of Page

dfmccarthy
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2006 :  11:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So much to cover, so little time. First, about the Mitchell drums for the Ruger 10/22. I'm doing this all from memory. I eventually bought five of the Mitchell drums. I seem to remember some slight change they made, maybe in the belt? But I seem to remember them working pretty well. They have metal lips similar to the factory. You use a little wrench to wind the belt as you feed the last few rounds in. As the memory is coming back, the clear back of the mag unsnaps and you can drop in about 40 of the rounds and then using the wrench you hand feed the last through the lips. I liked how they loaded.

As I remember the general discussion back when all these Ruger high capacity mags were being manufactured some people were never happy with any of them. Some, generally off brands, didn't work for anybody. But I had generally good results with the RAM LINE high capacity as well as the Mitchell drums.

It was not a problem for me, but I heard that some users found the plastics lips wore out with their usage. One problem is how well the mags fit in the mag well. The Intratec .22 pistols made to use 10/22 type mags will NOT work with capacities larger than 30 rounds. Among other problems the bolt moves too fast.

The 10/22 has a heavy bolt that opens very slowly, (making it a good choice for sound suppression), and closes fairly slowly due to the retarding pin at the rear of the receiver. This is what made the larger capacity mags possible. It takes time to get a column of 49 rounds moving. But the larger mags can move around some in the well during recoil. And that's what I remember tinkering with. I was happy with my Mitchells. But then I only paid $20 for them.

On to .45's. I got a prompt email back from centerfiresystems.com. They apologized for using the Glock pistol drum to illustrate all their pistol drums. They assured me that the 1911 drum WAS single column. They also said their 15 round 1911 mag was single column. If a .45ACP single column magazine has a straight profile (as opposed to curved like an AK mag) then after 11 rounds the top round will nosedive. This is due to the taper of .45ACP rounds.

I've never seen a curved single column .45ACP magazine. But it seems it might work. Or perhaps if an additional mag was welded on at an angle. I'd certainly like to hear about more on that idea being tried. In one account in print an assassination technique used by the mob in the '20's was described.

They started with a basic 1911. Drilled and tapped a hole in the top of the slide over the firing pin hole. Used a set screw to lock the firing pin forward. Then they'd lock the slide back and insert an 11 round extended magazine. A confederate would make a phone call asking for the victim. When the target stepped into the phone booth the assassin stepped up with the .45 pointed low on the target and press the slide release. Fast, loud and messy. This may have been similar to what the IRA was doing.

To answer mjalms' (Mike?, I'm Dan) questions. I don't remember hearing anything bad about Rock Island Armory .45's. Back when everybody and his brother were making .45's (because of investment casting and later CNC), the commonest problem was a crappy trigger pull. Somebody tried making investment cast barrels. Bad idea. But a .45 NIB for a couple of hundred should be an okay trade. Just make sure you test in thoroughly before needing it for anything important.

For fishkiller41, if you're really interested enough in the Mitchell drums to consider buying one at current prices, email me and maybe we can work something out for you to test some of mine. I don't want to part with any of my .22 stuff, but I'm not well enough to get out to shoot except on very rare occasions. The one .22 item I am considering selling is a .22 conversion kit for the M-10. Works great and I even made a 30 round magazine for it. But I'd need to find a collector with serious money.

This certainly went on longer than I planned. But get me going on a topic that interests me....

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page