GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Browning BBR
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Young Hunter
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  3:39:14 PM  Show Profile
I would like some information on the Browning BBR that was made in 70's and early 80's. Is the BBR as good as A-Bolt? Why was the BBR discontinued, were there problems with the BBR? Any information will be grately appreciated.

TWalker

1805 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2006 :  6:17:25 PM  Show Profile
The early Bolt Action Rifles were made on actions made in Belgium(FN) or Finland and later the BBR's came from Japan. The A-bolts that I have seen, and the one I own, were also made in Japan. I think that the BBR's are possibly slightly better built and to me are worth a little more money than the A-Bolts. Haven't a clue why the name changed to A-Bolt. Changes happen all the time in the firearms business, often for the worse. I haven't heard about any problems at all with the BBR's. Browning did have a problem with action and barrel rust that was caused by using salt treated wood for their gunstocks. This was many years ago and occurred with the Belgium and maybe Finnish receivered Bolt Action Rifles but I do not think the Japanese BBR's were affected. If I were to choose between two similar rifles, I'd pick the BBR over the A-Bolt if the prices were the same. If the rifle's action was Belgium or Finnish made, there would be no contest. I'd take those every time, if without saltwood stocks.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau

Edited by - TWalker on 06/25/2006 6:52:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  02:14:00 AM  Show Profile
The BBRs (Browning Bolt Rifle ) probably got to expensive to manufacture. The receivers are all steel with no alloys. I'm sure the A-Bolts are cheaper to make (although they are a good rifle). Similar to the old Model 12 Winchester shotguns vs the Remington 870. It just cost to much to make the model 12s and compete with the cheaper made guns.
There was nothing wrong with the BBRs. They are excellent guns made in Japan, and if you compare one to the Japanese made Weatherby rifles they look almost identical except for the bottom metal (the Brownings have a different type magazine) and the length of some of the larger Weatherby calibers.
One drawback to the BBRs is that it's getting harder to find parts, stocks,etc. as they only made them for a few years. Another is the weight. They are definately a heavier gun to carry if you walk alot with one.
Main reason I'm not crazy about them is that they say "Made in Japan" on the bbls ( just a personal thing).
I've had a couple of them (still own one) and they were both good guns......................
Go to Top of Page

D.S.COLE

653 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  06:57:38 AM  Show Profile
The BBR was nicknamed the "fat bolt" because of its much larger bolt diameter .Its bolt was larger than any other I know of. The locking lugs were machined out in the front end of it.The all steel receiver was thicker or bigger in diameter to accept the bolt's size.
They were very good rifles,made in Japan mostly.
I think the biggest reason for going to the A-bolt design was to make a convential size bolt and a lighter easier to make ,less costly rifle to produce.
This is not a put down for the A-bolt as they are great rifles.
If you find a BBR you like buy it .They are excellent rifles as well and usually cheaper than an A-bolt.

<BR>
Go to Top of Page

laxcoach

1073 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile
I bought one several years ago for my son in 25-06. It is clearly well build and extremely accurate, and I prefer it over my custom 25-06. Don't pass if you get an opportunity to buy one!
Go to Top of Page

Young Hunter
Starting Member

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:59:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks guys for all the information!
Go to Top of Page

jptatum

USA
1494 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  8:46:46 PM  Show Profile
About 3 years ago I was passing through Sheridan, WY and bought a BBR at a pawn shop there. It was a 25-06. I paid less than $300 for it; easily one of the best buys I ever made.

J. Patrick Tatum
Go to Top of Page

scott

650 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2006 :  11:10:05 PM  Show Profile
The BBR was to costly to be competivive with the remingtons, rugers and winchesters and were approaching weatherby's in cost. The magnum actions werent long enough to handle the supermags. I personally think this may have been the finest rifle to wear the Browning name. Nice wood, pachmeyer dlx swivels, lugs out the wazoo on the bolt, aluminum bedding block in the barrel channel, tang safety, the hidden detachable clip...all these goodies likely led to its demise; To bad !!
Go to Top of Page

wingshooter54
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2007 :  2:11:17 PM  Show Profile
I picked up a BBR in .270 from a pawnshop for $200. It had a cheap scope on it and some definite charcter marks on the wood. After refinishing the stock, cleaning the barrel, and putting a better scope on it, it put 10 (not 3 or 5) shots in 1" at 100 yds.with Federal vital-shock factory loads. I allowed the barrel to cool slightly every 3 shots. This gun has an aluminum bedding block and pillar bedding. The trigger broke cleanly at 3 lbs. I believe the BBR's are better rifles than the A-bolt. Anyway, I love $200 rifles especially when they shoot like this one! Try www.midwestgunworks.com for BBR parts.
Good Shooting,
Wingshooter54
Go to Top of Page

moonlitknight
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2007 :  12:59:48 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by D.S.COLE
This is not a put down for the A-bolt as they are great rifles.
If you find a BBR you like buy it .They are excellent rifles as well and usually cheaper than an A-bolt.

The Browning BBR is a phenomenal rifle. They are very scarce and are almost double the price of an A-bolt. This is especially true with the short action guns. It is easily one of the best bolt action rifles ever manufactured. Where the idea came that the BBR is LESS expensive than the A-bolt, I cnanot imagine. They are a better and far scarcer gun by a country mile.
Go to Top of Page

Jean H
Starting Member

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2007 :  4:43:37 PM  Show Profile
I own a BBR for 20 years. I first borought it from my brother as I prepared for moose hunting along with my own Remington 7600. I must say that Browning has by standard, good finishing on their fire arms. The BBR has a Beaf Bolt (copied from the Weatherby artillery design but much bigger), solid and effective. In fact, my brother's rifle felt so well in my hands that I bought it from him even before I went on my hunting trip. It became my premier rifle for hunting deer and moose for years after; and still now! Chambered in 7 mm Rem. mag. it is precise (1,5 inch string at 200 yards with 160 grains Federal Nosler Partition, my only hunting cartidge). I'm not an expert in shooting, nor do I shoot very often, but I have never lost venison because of the BBR and Nosler Partition. The bullets have always got on the targets at the right place, killing rapidly without ever having to run for them.
I wouldn't trade it for anything else, it's a fine rifle
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page