GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Savage 1895 .250-3000 - Takedown Carbine? Value?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krootz
Starting Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  10:35:52 PM  Show Profile
I have an older Savage 1895 takedown in the rarer .250-3000. It is a takedown model and has short factory barrel....like 18 or 20" off the top of my head. I am not an expert with these guns, but I know they can fetch quite a bit. The bluing is faded in areas, but no rust or pitting. The wood is beautiful.

Also...I have 10...yes...10 boxes of factory .250-3000 shells of various makers. I know the shells alone can be worth something.

Also...I have a very old Boyd guncase that is designed to case the gun when it is taken down...it has two compartments and a shoulder sling.

It has a Williams peep sight on the rear.

Does anyone know how I can research the value or can anyone give me some history and worth of this gun so I can set a a price for listing on GunBroker? I need max. $ for it as I need to pay medical bills for my wife.

Thanks in Advance! :)

1KYDSTR

USA
2319 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  10:55:08 PM  Show Profile
Standard advice in this case is to check ended/closed auctions of this gun type to tell what the market is bearing. Seperating the ammo might actually net you more money too. Price range looks like between $250 and $850. The book I'm looking at is a few years old, so take it with a grain of salt. Piuctures and serial would really help to determine a real world value.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you. Be afraid of nothing. There is such a little time…” Richard Halliburton
Go to Top of Page

krootz
Starting Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2006 :  11:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for your reply & advice.

Using the serial number off the gun and the following site, It says that "your Savage 1899/99 was made in 1915"...

However this is an 1895 model. The serial number of this gun is 1689XX...

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

The Williams tang site has to be an aftermarket one....it seems that Savage sold Marbles and Lymans on their guns.

I have looked for past auctions of 1895's the last few years when I think about researching and have seen them go from say $600 up to $3500...quite a wide range. That is the dilema...how do I price accordingly.

I also thought about splitting out the shells and the case which in alone as you said have value...but am keeping the idea the right person who knows about these guns value and the accessories that comes with it will buy it ALL(gun, shells, case) at what the market will bear as a fair price.

The good news for the buyer is that I cannot see this going down in price with inflation rising the past 3-4 months....these guns are hard to come buy...I have not personally seen another one in many, many years.

Thanks again!

Anymore advice would be appreciated.

Edited by - krootz on 08/01/2006 11:30:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2006 :  12:00:14 AM  Show Profile
Check out this site.http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/Savage

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

"And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"

ATF,Eagle Guns
Go to Top of Page

schintzie

131 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  12:39:34 AM  Show Profile
Hello krootz,

The Savage model 1895 was only chambered for the .303 Savage, never for the .250-3000. The 1895 was superceded by the 1899 in 1899 and the .250-3000 was not introduced until around 1914. The takedown feature was not introduced until around 1909. Are you sure you have a ’95?
Go to Top of Page

krootz
Starting Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  09:43:04 AM  Show Profile
Hello;

I recall it says 1895 on the barrel and also has a bunch of patent information on the barrel. Could I be wrong? I do not recall anything on the receiver except the serial number on the bottom. Also...it has a metal buttplate with ridges across the top and an indian head along the bottom. It is a takedown with a sliding switch on the bottom on the forearm to remove the forearm, then the barrel unscrews from the receiver with about say 10 twists from a heavy threaded system...excellent precision and well made.

I am at work and will check the gun later tonight when I get time...I'll put all the barrel markings on this post if this will help. It is a .250-3000 and shoots excellent.

I would post pictures, but I do not have authority to post here. Perhaps i'll look for a free hosting site where i can post pictures and send a link...any ideas?

Thanks!

J-
Go to Top of Page

ATF
Advanced Member

USA
9261 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:04:42 AM  Show Profile
In order to insert a photo into a post on any forums, you must first upload it to a hosting site - your own or one of the many freebies available on line such as Photobucket.

Next, go to that site and copy the URL for the page with your photo - typically "http://www.Photo_Hosting_Site/Your_Account/Photo_Name.jpg"

Be sure you have the proper code string! This should end in ".jpg" and you can confirm this by right clicking on the image and selecting "properties" from the resulting menu options.

Next, click on the image icon in the tool bar above the text window (yellow square, middle of the five with pictures), which will give you two bracketed UBB commands: "img" and "/img" . . . .

Insert the URL you copied between the two commands.

Give it a few minutes - sometimes these do not update quickly.

Then you *should* see the image as part of the post.

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

"And remember a wet dog doesn't fly at night"

ATF,Eagle Guns
Go to Top of Page

krootz
Starting Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:41:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks! I'll try to have them there tonight by say 9:30pm EST. :)
Go to Top of Page

Krootsie
Starting Member

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  9:58:07 PM  Show Profile
ATF...thanks...cool how this is done to host pictures. :)

Here is the link to the pictures:

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l235/krootsie/

The barrel is 21" long. There is no pitting on the gun...just some spots in the bluing...they feel smooth so I assume this is part of the "aging" process.

Also note the old Boyt case with the shoulder sling...it fits the gun perfectly as a takedown case.

Please let me know what you all think of what this gun is and value. AGain...I have never seen one like this or this short...but am not familiar with these older guns other than they are solid and shoot great. :)

J-

Edited by - Krootsie on 08/03/2006 9:59:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

1KYDSTR

USA
2319 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:23:12 PM  Show Profile
According to the patent info, the last applied patent was 1909, so you have an 1899, not an actual 95; those are hard to come by and as mentioned, not aroound in that caliber until the WWI period. I have heard that there was an excess of short chambered (.303 to 3000 in this case)barrel blanks with the 1895 stamping on them, and that they were used up over the years on special order guns. Could be an old wives tale, but sounds about right. Neat looking gun, but I'm afraid I cannot, without checking the books (I'm at work) give you a ballpark figure of any real value. My previous suggestion of setting a high, blind reserve and seeing what the market will bear is likely the best move.

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you. Be afraid of nothing. There is such a little time…” Richard Halliburton
Go to Top of Page

krootz
Starting Member

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  10:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks IDYSKTR!

Again...I have no idea what this gun is about so I will obviously take any advice...good or bad...as long as it is honest. :)

Keep the advice coming. :)

Edited by - krootz on 08/03/2006 10:37:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

SCorvers

USA
2034 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:14:04 PM  Show Profile
mY ADVICE IS TO GET RID OF THAT OLD GUN FAST. yOU CAN SEND IT TO ME c.o.d. AND i WILL PUT IT AWAY SO NO UNSUSPECTING FOLKS WILL USE IT. bEING AS OLD AS IT IS, IT'S PROBABLY NOT WORTH MUCH.

It is not your duty to die for your country, but to KILL for it.
Go to Top of Page

schintzie

131 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  11:27:18 PM  Show Profile
Hello krootz,

It appears to be a Savage model 1899 .250-3000 rifle (I’m not just stating the obvious; .250-3000 was the actual designation). The .250-3000 was the only variation chambered for this caliber and also marked model 1899. Savage introduced the .250-3000 cartridge with this model in 1914. The trigger should have fine cross-checkering across the face, which was unique to this model. The forearm on your rifle has been replaced; it should have a schnoble tipped forearm. The buttstock may have been replaced or heavily sanded; it should be checkered. Length of pull should be 13 ¼”.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page