GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 1908 7mm Mauser questons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barney50
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  02:51:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father gave me a 7mm Mauser 1908 with a logo of a crown, "Fabrica de Armas Oviedo" on the receiver. He thought it was a Brazilian made gun. From what I can dig up other than the "1908" it appears to be a Spanish made weapon??

The rifle appears to be sporterized with a different stock and rear sights.

Any info would be appreciated. A pic of the original rifle would be good!

Thanks Barney50

rufe-snow
Advanced Member

15925 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2006 :  03:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your correct, "Oviedo" was the name of the Spanish Arsenal, where Model 1893 Mauser rifles were manufactured under license for the Spanish military forces. There are quite a number of pictures of the Model 1893 Spanish Mauser, in arsenal original condition on the net. Do a Google image search to find them.

Go to Top of Page

nononsense

9022 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  10:53:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barney50,

This is an excerpt from an article that I have in my notes:

"By Royal Decree of 30 November 1892 Mauser rifle was initially qualified as the "sevice weapon" for the Spanish Army under the name of "Fusil Mauser Español Modelo 1892", (Spanish Mauser Rifle Model 1892). Only a year later, it would be replaced. In 1893, "...having exhausted all means of improvement and arriving at the moment for the final approval with the modifications proposed by the manufacturer..." the Royal Order of 7 November 1893 declared again this rifle as service weapon under the name of "Spanish Mauser Rifle Model 1893". Consequently of this, Spain decided to purchase 70,000 rifles and 5,000 carbines as well as 18 millions cartridges.

A few years later, this model was produced at the Spanish arms factory in Oviedo at a production cost of 78 pesetas/unit."

http://www.spanamwar.com/spanishmauser.htm

Check your e-mail for additional information.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

1KYDSTR

USA
2332 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  5:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Likely the confusion as to the 1908 thing (there indeed IS a 1908 Brazilian mauser with a much more refined/stronger action than the 1893's) comes from the fact your model 1893 was MADE in 1908, and marked as such on the reciever ring? They are generally good rifles, although most are not percieved as being as high quality as the Czech and German rifles. The value of your average, very good condition recent inport Spanish mauser is somewhere around $100. The sporterization of your grandpa's gun in this case is not the tragedy it would have been were it a home sporter job done on an Oberndorf Standard Modell! Sounds as though the head space etc... has been confirmed by past shooting, although it is NEVER a bad idea to have a smith take a look. Should make a dandy little deer rifle! Since it's a family gun, any sale value would, I feel, be far outweighed by the intrinsic heritage of the gun. Have fun...keep 'em in the family!

"When I cease learning...I'm dead"(Me)
"When I was 14 I used to marvel at how ignorant my old man was...by the time I was 21 I was truelly amazed at how much the old bugger had learned in the intervening 7 years!" Samuel Clemens
"History is written by winners"(Patton)
"You get a lot farther with a kind word and a gun than you do with a kind word alone!"(Al Capone)
"There is nothing lower than the human race...except the French" (Samuel Clemens)
“Live! Live the wonderful life that is in you. Be afraid of nothing. There is such a little time…” Richard Halliburton
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page