GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 What is a 45AP?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mbsams

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  10:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am seeing some simi autos for sale in 45AP cal. How does that differ or compare to 45ACP?

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13782 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  10:42:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello GLOCK maks a pistol in 45GAP this is a shortend 45 ACP to allow it to fit in the glock magazine well My personal is out look is your mileage may vary and if you like it Great I can live with different opinions. makes the world go round. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" the real 45 on a 1911 frame.
Go to Top of Page

MrOrange
Advanced Member

2984 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2006 :  11:45:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a typo, like "simi" instead of "semi".

It's probably either a GAP or an ACP.

You could post a link for us to take a guess, or you could ask the seller. If it was ammo instead of a pistol for sale, AP usually stands for armor piercing, but that would be highly unlikely to be offered for sale except to law enforcement.

I meant, it is my opinion that...

Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  12:25:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mbsams

I am seeing some simi autos for sale in 45AP cal. How does that differ or compare to 45ACP?

If you mean 45GAP it stands for Glock Automatic Pistol and as perry shooter noted it is basicly a shorter version of the 45ACP that fits in the smaller Glock Platforms. The brass is different though in that it is thicker and reinforced near the case head for strength to load to higher pressure if needed to get similar velocity as the 45ACP out of the smaller case and to compensate for the case not being fully supported in some guns.
My .02 cents is stay with the 45ACP if you want a 45, or a 40S&W if you want a smaller framed gun.

Edited by - temblor on 09/22/2006 12:26:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

JIM STARK

1586 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  06:20:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ihave noticed that Davidson's uses the 45 AP to designate what most folks call 45 ACP (automatic colt pistol?)..This differentiates it from the 45 Colt... AKA 45 long colt..
Go to Top of Page

knightrider

344 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JIM STARK

Ihave noticed that Davidson's uses the 45 AP to designate what most folks call 45 ACP (automatic colt pistol?)..This differentiates it from the 45 Colt... AKA 45 long colt..

Yes, ACP does mean Automatic Colt Pistol. The reasoning is Colt orginaly made the round or I should say that Browning who worked for Colt orginaly made the round for his 1911.

Long live the bolt action and Metal Slug!

If I can't shoot it I don't want it.

1911-A1: Because a Glock will go off in your pocket.

knightrider
Go to Top of Page

Sigdriver1

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2006 :  11:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll have to agree with temblor on this one. Stay with the proven 45 ACP despite manufacture's claim of similar ballistic performances on the GAP vs. ACP.

My opinion, in the event the 45 GAP doesn't take off as expected, cost & availability of ammo can be an issue down the road ( ie.10mm & 357 Sig ).

However, if you have your mind set on the round, Springfield XD is available in the 45GAP and holds 15 rounds, I rented once it shot pretty well. Good Luck.
quote:
Originally posted by mbsams

BAD HABITS ARE FORMED IN GOOD TIMES. THE MORE YOU SWEAT IN PEACE TIME = THE LESS YOU'LL BLEED IN WAR TIME !!
Go to Top of Page

Iconoclast
Advanced Member

USA
13106 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  09:55:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be a typo or simply poor abbreviation. The .45 Colt Auto Pistol has had many variations of its name - and consequent variations in headstamp abbreviations over the years. Simply ".45 Auto Pistol" is one of those varients, albeit seldom seen / used.

This can't be WW III; the french haven't surrendered yet!

So . . . you're a liberal? Did you have a head injury or were you just born brain dead?

God, guts and guns made America great . . . clearly liberals had no hand in the process.
Go to Top of Page

mbsams

USA
1060 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  2:41:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just go to semi autos right here on GB and look at all the different auctions for a .45AP They must be ACP's why are people calling the perfectly fine ACP an AP - boneheads?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page