GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Competition Shooting and Reloading
 300 RUM Pet loads
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2006 :  10:36:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looking to see who is having great luck loading the 300 Ultra Mag.
I shoot a Sako 300 UAM. I have had some luck with Barnes XLC, tripple shock. I would love to hear what is working for you. Have had a hard time with C.O.L data for the Barnes line. Any help would be great. Any powder recomendations?

Edited by - 2BGood on 09/26/2006 8:13:18 PM

nononsense

8935 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  12:20:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2BGood,

I'm not sure what the 300 UAM refers to but other than that, I do reload for and shoot several .300 Remington Ultra Mags (RUM). Most are for hunting but a couple are used for long range target shooting.

Generically, the .300 RUM is best suited to the heavier bullets, such as the 180 gr. and heavier. I like the 210 gr. Berger VLD for hunting along with the 200 gr. Nosler Partition, Accubond and sometimes the Barnes TSX.

These bullets work best with the slower of the commercially available powders such as Re-25, V V N170, Ramshot Magnum and sometimes Retumbo.

The trick with the Barnes bullets is to measure your chamber length accurately so that you can accurately seat the bullet somewhere between 0.035" to 0.050" OFF of the lands. There isn't an exact distance because you have to test for what your rifle likes.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  8:12:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nononsense, first let me say thanks. And oops its a RUM,,,sorry.

I would be using the gun for Elk in Colorado im one of those guys who like to group as small as possible,,I guess part of the game.
Very little data to get me started with the barnes line for C.O.L.

Do you use a head space guage to get your chamber lenth,,I have never used one before. I loaded a couple test rounds with H1000 relitively light 91grn and 92 grns and 93 all shot very well. With no signs of pressure.

Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  8:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't get past 88gr of H1000 in my chamber behind a 200gr pill. I would say that a 200gr accubond and H1000 or RL25, N165 would be a good place to start.

applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8935 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  09:43:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2BGood,

I make a chamber gauge by slitting the neck of a case, removing the burrs and cleaning the inside of the neck. Keep a little bottle of Super Glue handy. I remove the ejector from all rifles if they are the spring loaded plunger type. Place a bullet in the neck of the case and carefully chamber that in your rifle. Now, with extreme care, extract that case from the chamber but don't let it hit anything on the way out. Put a drop or two of Super Glue at the junction of the neck and the bullet, let it dry. Using one of the tools in the link below, measure the cartridge and use that information to set your dies.

You can also cast the chamber with Cerro Safe which is available from Brownells.

Use this link to look at a couple of the tools used to measure cartridges after fitting the cartridge to a particular chamber. There are also tools for measuring the chamber if you want.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RESDTSD&type=store

Once you've established the length to the lands you can set the seating depth to 0.050" shorter than that measurement to start your load work up per Barnes suggestions. The 0.050" is not cast in stone but merely a starting point. You will need to test various other lengths to achieve the accuracy that you can get from your system.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  8:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have found great enjoyment in reloading, I am very new to the hobby,,with so much to learn. So far I have just followed published data. Now im wanting more info,,,question? are the chamber lenths the same on all of the same rifles say all remington model 700 300 rem mags? So far all I have tried is differant bullets with differant powders. Great info,,thanks.

If published data gives a starting point and a max load for say H1000 and a barnes bullet but no date for say Retumbo powder can I just start 5% below starting laod and go from there watching for excessive pressure?
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2006 :  9:31:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retumbo has been funny thus far for me. I can say some good neck tension is in order to get it started buring in order. If you are looking under 200gr bullets,..the retumbo is too slow.

hodgen has the retumbo data on their website.

For 200gr down,..RL25, H1000, N165, ect is where you want to be. Now if your chamber is loose,....factory wise, then maybe some slower powders are capable,..but my tight chamber has no room for the slower powders in the lighter bullets. the RUM was designed to run heavy pills,..so feed it what it wants.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  10:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So far the only rounds I have ran through my new gun are 180grn,,,I am going to try 200grns. So far the 180's shoot very well, loved the barnes xcl. Noslers with 80grs of 4350 shot well also. Might be the gun,,might be me,,was looking to say it was me shooting a good gun with great ammo I made.

Thanks for the advice,if I try the retumbo,,,5% less or?
Go to Top of Page

nononsense

8935 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  12:06:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2BGood,

"...are the chamber lenths the same on all of the same rifles say all remington model 700 300 rem mags?"

No, in fact they can be very inconsistant from rifle to rifle within a production run. Then too, the chambers will very from manufacturer to manufacturer as well.

From Hodgdon's website:

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/retumbo/300remultramag_r.php

They list Start and Max powder weights, just take note of their suggested OAL. I suggest that you develop your own OAL and start 0.050" from the lands.

Other bullets to consider are the 200 gr. AccuBond, 200 gr. North Fork and the 174 gr. GS Custom. There is a ton of reloading data on the internet but you need to stick with the powder and bullet manufacturers recommendations for safety sake. Now is not the time to get creative. You should stick with the basics while you're learning. Disregard this if you have read this before, buy several reloading manuals now and read them through, then read them a again. Buy the newest versions possible now and then pick up older ones from gunshows or used bookstores.

Everyone here is willing to help but you have to have the basics down first in order to achieve the most from your rifle and ammunition.

Best.

Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  12:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great advice!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2006 :  10:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
skip the retumbo until maybe 210-220 gr pills,...I have been happier (thus far) with H1000 and RL25. I just got a can of the new US869 that is supposed to be like the old H870,..so I will run that to see what happens. I think my next bullets will be 220gr match kings as the current 216gr clinch river pills are about to dry up and they are next to impossible to get.

For hunting,..take a good hard look at the 200gr accubond.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Edited by - JustC on 09/30/2006 10:18:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  01:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This doesn't mean it is safe in your gun so please work up carefully if you try this data.
I've loaded 300 RUM with the 200gr Nosler Accubond bullet, Remington case, Federal 215 primer, and between 91 and 92 grains of Reloader 25 powder with excellent results in a couple of Remington 700 rifles.
These loads were intended as hunting loads but were accurate in both guns and very accurate in one of them.
PS = The chamber and especially the throat length in those two guns were quite a bit different just FYI for comparison (as noted by nononsense).
Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2006 :  9:07:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With that said then whats the best way and most accurate way to measure chamber lengths. So far the only bullets I have on the bench for this test is 180grn in the nosler partition, Barnes XLC btsp and Hornady BTSP. Sounds like I will or should get something heavier.

I have used Retumbo,H1000 and IMR 4350 for other applications and calibers I will add the RL25 I have heard good things about it as well.

You guys are great thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2006 :  01:49:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are alot of ways to get measurements, some involve being an old hand at reloading (such as splitting a case as mentioned by nononsense, etc.) or being around someone who is, and some involve tools. The type and brand of tools can be expensive and some times not. Alot of it depends on what you are trying to achieve and what you are willing to pay for those results, etc.
If you are just trying to load accurate hunting ammo that's one thing. If you are loading for serious target competition that's another.
From your posts it sounds like you are shooting a stock factory rifle so I'm assuming your not trying to get into competition type stuff at this time.
So assuming you don't have alot of people around to help you and you just want to load some accurate ammo instead of 1000yd competition stuff here's what I would reccomend to start with that won't set you back an arm & a leg :
1. Buy a "Chamber-All OAL (overall length) Gauge" made by Stoney Point Products. Available lots of places they sell reloading components for around $25.00-$30.00 last time I saw some. They make one with a straight rod and a curved rod. Buy the curved one (model C-1550 if they haven't changed the #) and it will also work on lever actions, pumps & semi-autos if needed later on. The straight one only works on bolt actions you can pull the bolt out of and single shots.
2. Buy a "Modified Case" made by same Co. for the cartridge you are loading. -- Around $4.00-$6.00 for the case last time I looked.
The OAL Gauge is just a hollow piece of Aluminum rod that is threaded on one end and has a piece of flexible jointed wire running thru it with a bolt/screw to lock it in place.
The modified case is just piece of cartridge brass sized and trimmed with the primer hole drilled out and tapped for threads to screw on the end of the OAL Gauge rod.
You just loosen the locking bolt/screw, screw the modified case on the rod, pull the wire back below the case neck and insert the type bullet you are trying to measure in the case neck. Then insert the case in the chamber of your gun with the rod pushed up snug and then push the flex wire into the bottom of the bullet pushing it until it makes contact with the rifling of your bbl (don't push too hard as you can jam the bullet up there tight enough that it will change your measurement -- just lightly press into the rifling), then tighten down the lock screw so the wire won't move. Remove the modified case & bullet from your gun. Measure the OAL with the same bullet in the case with your calipers (the rod has a notch machined out for the calipers to fit in) and it will tell you the overall length at which that type bullet touches your lands/rifling. You can then figure out how far off of the rifling your bullet is at what OAL.
It's usually best to do a few different bullets of the same type ( say 5 or 6 bullets ) and write down the OALs, then divide them and find the average OAL at which that bullet touches ( alot of the bullets you will use will vary in the actual length of the tips - most are not exact ).
On some guns ( especially factory guns with long throats, etc. ) you will find that to get as close to the rifling as you want your cartridges will be to long to fit in the magazine and feed properly. Then you decide if you shoot it as a single shot or just load them as long as the magazine will allow and call it good. Sometimes in these types of guns they shoot just as well at maximum magazine length ( which is why reloaders get gray hair).
Later you can buy additional modified cases for different calibers you load and use all of them with the same OAL Gauge.
If you want to get even closer they ( Stoney Point ) make another gauge called a "Bullet Comparator & Insert Set" that will attach to your calipers that allows you to measure the length from the bullet Ogive at the point that actually engages the rifling rather than across the tips which will vary a few thousandths. This will enable you to get them all the same distance from the rifling for consistancy in accuracy/pressure, etc. -- I'd just try the OAL Gauge first and see if your results satisfy you. If not then try the other stuff.
Then if your still not happy they ( Stoney Point ) also make what they call the "Head & Shoulders" cartridge headspace gauge that can be used when sizeing your brass. It will tell you how much you are bumping back the shoulders on your brass to keep a tight fit in your chamber -- Another thing you can try later if your not happy with your results.
Keep in mind that ammo loaded to close tolerances for your gun may not fit in another gun of the same caliber -- always check to see if they all chamber in YOUR gun also before going on a hunting trip somewhere only to find out your ammo won't work.
There are plenty of more expensive tools out there( of which I have alot of ), but for your current needs I think this stuff will get you started with a quick learning curve and not break the bank.

A couple of good places to shop with reasonable prices for this stuff are :

Midsouth Shooters Supply 1-800-272-3000 (orders)
1-931-553-8651 (technical information) www.midsouthshooters.com

Natchez Shooters Supplies 1-800-251-7839
www.natchezss.com

P.S.= You may find that your bbl likes a different weight bullet better than those talked about above -- maybe heavier bullets/maybe lighter. They all have their own personal tastes, and the 180gr you have on hand may work out just fine. A quality 180gr bullet out of it will drop anything in North America, and with the seating depth correct and to where the bullets like it for accuracy you may be pleased with what you have for your intended purpose -- I'd try them first before I bought any others just to see.
If I was going try any new powders in the 300RUM I'd look at the new Hodgdon US869 mentioned by JustC above. It's supposed to be designed for these big boomers and the 50BMG cartridge, and I understand it's burn rate is similar or possibly slower than the old H870 powder. I've not loaded any yet, but on paper it looks promising.

Look here for info : www.hodgdon.com

Good Luck & Keep your powder dry..........

Edited by - temblor on 10/02/2006 1:44:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

catt_tracker
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2006 :  10:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I shoot a Remington 700 RUM and I load it with 82.5 grains of H4831sc with a 200 grain Sierra Gameking. I tried the Barnes, but had no luck at with them. Goodluck
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  12:05:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello -- Are you out there 2BGood ?
BTT.................................
Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2006 :  10:54:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am out there,,,some place.

After looking at your reply I have decided to order the chamber lenth guage from stoney point. I loaded some nosler 180grn partitions with IMR4350 80 grns. Was a very windy day at the range but my goodness they sure shot well. I think with the short time I have left before Elk camp im going with the noslers. Looks like im getting about 3100 ft per sec from the muzzle. Funny part is I would like to think its my work on the loading bench or my work on the gun or maybe im just a darn good shot,,,,,,,hmm thoughts to ponder.

Im going to work up some loads after my chanber guage arrives,,I have a great deal to learn,,but I am really enjoying so far.

Angain thanks for the help.
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  12:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those Nosler Partitions won't let you down on game. Still a great hunting bullet after all these years.
Good Luck with the Elk................

Edited by - temblor on 10/10/2006 12:49:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  10:27:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with that load you have effectively turned your 300RUM into a 300Win mag. 3100fps with a 180gr pill can be done in the win mag,..not to change your mind, but when you get back from hunting, I would go slower on the powder and get that other 200fps that's waiting for you.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  3:23:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JustC

with that load you have effectively turned your 300RUM into a 300Win mag. 3100fps with a 180gr pill can be done in the win mag,..not to change your mind, but when you get back from hunting, I would go slower on the powder and get that other 200fps that's waiting for you.

Or maybe you should just get a good 300 Win. Mag. and quit wasting all that powder JustC .
Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  4:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow,,thats ruff. Well,,,,hmm I dont think im going to run out and buy a 300 win mag. Great idea though! You really think Im just waisting powder,,,darn and I was enjoying shooting to.

Im going to assume your interesting comment is because you dont feel im getting enough speed. Funny though in the Nosler Book Imr 4350 80.0 grns is what they found to be the most accurate with 3125fps.

I could change the powder to H1000 or IMR 7828 but I would have to use 94grns of H1000 to get 3160fps but thats 14grns more powder to get 35 more ft per second. Or I could use 87grns of IMR7828 to get 3160fps.
Looks like I might have to push it a bit to match the same using a 300 win mag. Im sure it can be done and Im sure I can get much more out of it. So I guess that brings me to how much is enough when you find a load that shoots Very well?
I pulled some data from remingtons web site the first is the 300 RUM and the second is the 300 win mag.
Premier® Scirocco™ Bonded 180 SSB 3250 3048 2856 2672 2495 2325
Premier® Scirocco™ Bonded 180 SSB 2960 2274 2595 2424 2259 2100
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2006 :  7:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no such thing as wasting powder

I wasn't saying you don't have a plenty capable load,..just that there is plenty more whoomp in that RUM case. The H1000 and similar powders will get you a lot more speed. Are you comparing their accuracy loads or max loads? The RUM, likes to run hot in my experience.

also,..your powders are becoming less efficient behind those light bullets for the RUM,..you need to start at 200grs and move up from there,..the 300RUM was designed to push heavy for caliber pills with slow powders to make big speeds (relatively speaking). The 4350 just won't even get close to filling the RUM capacity,..so it is inefficient. The slow burners however,..can make a much better load density and push heavy, hard hitters with some real authority. A 200gr accubond would be tough to beat. I have spun deer 180* at over 400yds with a 200gr matchking after it traversed them from front to back and exited,..never to be found. Move up in weight and get the full CRUSHING BLOW that the RUM is capable of. My pard uses 300wins,...he can tell you the difference

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

mttimberghost
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  1:11:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everybody! Saw this topic and had to throw in my two cents. I spent all summer trying different bullet/powder combos in the RUM. The best I could do was with 200 grn. Accubonds in front of 91.5 grains of Reloader 25. Will consistantly shoot sub-moa @3225 feet per second. Verified with chrono. Also tried retumbo with accubonds, interbonds, and triple shocks. Was able to achive 3450 fps with 180grn interbonds but no accuracy to speak of. Lucky to see 3in group @100 yards. But why shoot 180's when you can push a 200 @3225 with great accuracy!
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  3:11:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mttimberghost

Hey everybody! Saw this topic and had to throw in my two cents. I spent all summer trying different bullet/powder combos in the RUM. The best I could do was with 200 grn. Accubonds in front of 91.5 grains of Reloader 25. Will consistantly shoot sub-moa @3225 feet per second. Verified with chrono. Also tried retumbo with accubonds, interbonds, and triple shocks. Was able to achive 3450 fps with 180grn interbonds but no accuracy to speak of. Lucky to see 3in group @100 yards. But why shoot 180's when you can push a 200 @3225 with great accuracy!

Look at my first post near the start of this thread -- It's a small world .
Go to Top of Page

mttimberghost
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  1:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's almost magic how well that load works. At 2.75 inches high @100 yards you get a 300 yard zero and 20 inches low @500 yards. I once read that 2000 ftlbs of energy is a minimum for elk at whatever distance. This load will carry that to 778 yards! Not that shooting that far is my cup of tea but impressive regardless.
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  3:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty close to what it shoots at my elevation'. It's a flat shooter and hits hard but needlessly powerful for most hunting chores.
People kill Elk with bows all the time. You just have to place a shot it the vitals to get it done, and the ones you kill with the 300 RUM are no deader than if dropped by a 270 or 30.06 -- but it is a fun round to shoot !
I have alot of the big boomers, but would really rather stalk closer for the shot because it's more fun, and takes more hunting skill.
I think these overbore rounds just waste alot of powder for little real world use gain -- and if your reading this JustC, denial isn't a river in Egypt .
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  8:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear ya, I hear ya,...but it damn sure is fun to sling lead at blistering speeds I like my mid-bores for target work,..much less trouble,...but for harvesting I love that bang-flop the RUM gives me

my 6.5x55AI is probably the most accurate rifle I own. However if you really want to shove the guts out the other side of something,..hit em with the RUM.

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2006 :  11:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hear ya, I hear ya,...but it damn sure is fun to sling lead at blistering speeds I like my mid-bores for target work,..much less trouble,...but for harvesting I love that bang-flop the RUM gives me

my 6.5x55AI is probably the most accurate rifle I own. However if you really want to shove the guts out the other side of something,..hit em with the RUM.

I wouldn't argue that with ya.
Or did I tell you about the little blacktail deer I shot with the 338RUM.......................................................
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  11:10:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got any pictures I likes the RUM vs meat

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  2:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

got any pictures I likes the RUM vs meat

Nope, didn't have a camera with me on that one. Lets just say it was dramatic & ugly -- And one of the reasons I quit shooting little deer with it. There's not that much meat on them to begin with, and I'd like to have some left to eat .
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  11:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed,..I can't use it for deer anywhere even close to short range,..I defintely opt for lesser guns during "meat" season

I wonder what a 150gr NBT would do to a groundhog

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2006 :  11:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

agreed,..I can't use it for deer anywhere even close to short range,..I defintely opt for lesser guns during "meat" season

I wonder what a 150gr NBT would do to a groundhog

I'm pretty sure a direct hit in the chest would put one down -- Pretty much just red mist.
But shoot, there's no sense in messing around with those heavy bullets -- just get some 125gr Ballistic Tips or 110gr VMAX to make sure they expand .
I don't have groundhogs where I live, but I have shot rockchucks in Wyoming with a 300 Win. Mag. and 165gr Ballistic Tips and it wasn't pretty.
I used to routinely shoot ground squirrels with a 308 Win. and 125gr & 150gr Ballistic Tips and there wasn't much left of them .

Edited by - temblor on 10/13/2006 11:49:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

JustC

14883 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  10:24:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran a 125gr NBT out of a 30-06 for a while,..but when I shot that sika deer in the front chest at like 7yds,..well let's just say I went to a different bullet

I wonder if the 125gr NBT would make it out of my 10 twist and remain intact

GunBroker.com Moderator

Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  1:40:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I ran a 125gr NBT out of a 30-06 for a while,..but when I shot that sika deer in the front chest at like 7yds,..well let's just say I went to a different bullet

I wonder if the 125gr NBT would make it out of my 10 twist and remain intact

Although I've never shot the 125gr NBT out of the 300RUM, my guess is it would. Pretty tough jacket on that bullet. I've seen some outrageous velocity claims from wildcat cartridges in various calibers that used the NBT and it stayed together, of course it'll explode at those velocities if it hit's something of substance. Ought to be great on varmits if it did stay together in flight at not to far ranges. Only way to know for sure is to try it.
I think the 150gr NBT would be more accurate at longer ranges, say 350-400yds and out. They always were in my 308.
I did used to shoot the 125gr in a 30.06 with a tight 26" bbl with a 10" twist and alot of Varget powder that clocked 3350-3400fps and it was suprisingly accurate. I used it for coyotes.
The 308 was a 26" Remington VSSF (one of the first year production guns when they made them in 308 win.) and with alot of Win.748 powder it was right at 3200fps and very accurate to around 350+ yds, but past that the 150gr was more accurate. Used to shoot ground squirrels alot with that and it worked fine. Most of the places I was shooting them didn't allow for much more than a 400yd shot anyway due to the lay of the land (hills & washes).
The little 40gr NBTs stay together in the 220 Swift going way up in the 4000-4300fps range with no jacket problems too, so my guess is the 125gr will stay together in your 300RUM with 10" twist.
That would be some obscene velocity -- Let us know if you try it and how it works out .
P.S. = Don't shoot another deer at close range with that one .
Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  09:27:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like the reloader -25 and the 200grn is the way to go,,I cant wait to try them.

Found this on Noslers web site forum.

Propellant type........... = Alliant Reloder-25
Charge weight..........(gr)= 93.5 Load density......(g/cu.cm)= 0.921
Heat of Explosion (cal/lb)= 412777 Ratio of spec. heats cp/cv = 1.229
Solid density (gr/cu.in)= 409.7 Weighting factor...........= 0.5
Burning rate factor Ba(1/s)= 0.384 Pro-/degressivity factor a = 1.250
Burning limit ......... z1 = 0.7 Combust.Chamber Vb(ft³)= 2.323668E-4
Factor.................. b = 2.276 X-S.Area of Bore A(ft²)= 5.104334E-4
Bulk density (gr/cu.in)= 231.4 Projectile mass mp (lb)= 2.571429E-2
Loading ratio (%)= 100.6 Projectile travel x(ft)= 1.981988E+0

**** Results calculated:
Maximum pressure ........ = 64837 psi Way of projectile at Pmax = 3.53 in
Muzzle velocity ......Ve = 3271 fps Muzzle pressure .......Pe = 13215 psi
Project. energy at muzzle = 4276 ft.lbs Fraction of powder burnt = 100 %
Projectile travel time from 10% Pmax to muzzle = 1.2 ms
Go to Top of Page

temblor

2295 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  11:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a thumper ! Good Luck & let us know how it works for you .
Go to Top of Page

2BGood

USA
97 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  10:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure will,,,,Im off for Elk Camp in the morning,,,looks like more snow on the way.

Thanks again for the help and Advice.
Go to Top of Page

skipit
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  07:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remington 300 ultra mag is it for me..loaded with 80 grains imr 4350 cci 250 magnum primers and 185gr berger hunt vld out of a Remington sendero sf II topped with weaver 3x9 wideangle scope. cover 3 shot group at 550 yds with snuff can. start seating bullet in magazine well enough to feed well in chamber,make 5 rounds. run seating die down half round, make 5 more.continue this until you have a total of 20 rounds. one of those 4 groups will clearly outshoot the others.clean barrel before every 5 shot group and let barrel cool before every test.hope this helps..
Go to Top of Page

MG1890

USA
1746 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  11:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably won't help, Skipit. After 7 years the barrel is probably worn out....
Go to Top of Page

skipit
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  11:15:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where does the time go.. didn't even notice the post date. this method of bullet seating works on most rifle rounds and hopefully someone else can gain from this. anyway have a good one.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2011 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page