GunBroker.com Message Forums
Review our Posting Guidelines
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?   Trouble / Can't log in?

All Forums
 Ask the Experts
 Bausch & Lomb Balvar 6x24
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jbw1776
Advanced Member

2526 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  9:27:21 PM  Show Profile
Guy I know has a B&L Balvar 6-24 scope with the original box. He says he's had it for at least 30yrs. I haven't seen it but he says it is like new, not a scratch on it. He also said it has a recoil spring in the scope??? Any ideas to what this scope in the box would be worth? Fellow that has it doesn't know what it's worth and I was thinking about making him an offer. Good scope? I'm sure the lenses aren't what you can get today, but if I could get it cheap enough it might be worth having. Thanks for the help.

Ben

Click here to check out my listings on GunBroker!

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13848 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  9:48:24 PM  Show Profile
This was a HIGH dollar scope when new might want to check on if mounts are available for your rifle.
Go to Top of Page

jbw1776
Advanced Member

2526 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2006 :  9:55:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Perry,

I hate asking the question without seeing the scope, once I saw it I could figure it all out. But whats with the recoil spring thing he talked about. I want to say he said the scope could "slide" with the recoil??? Is the spring on the mounts or the scope itself? He did say it came with mounts and I want to say was on his Rem. 25-06. Any idea on its worth?

EDIT: Just to show my ignorance on the scope, but wouldn't regular 1" rings and mounts work with this scope?

Ben

Edited by - jbw1776 on 10/14/2006 9:58:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

sothere

1282 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  12:24:25 AM  Show Profile
No external adjustments?I believe that the balvar series used adjustable mounts.You can search the web and see or just do a search here on site.Should produce some info that you can use to make a decision;ST
Go to Top of Page

jbw1776
Advanced Member

2526 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  12:44:25 AM  Show Profile
I did find one on Fleybay that had adjustment knobs, so I'm assuming this one does, but I could be wrong. It didn't have any spring thing like this guy says his does.

Ben

Go to Top of Page

perry shooter
Advanced Member

13848 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  08:53:07 AM  Show Profile
Hello if this scope has a recoil spring it is made to slide in the mounts If you go to this and the flebay site and look at Target scopes "Lyman" you will see that the mounts suround the tube and are spring loaded . If you can't find a picture Email me at karlw@piedmontequipment.com
Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2019 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2006 :  3:08:21 PM  Show Profile
I have owned a couple of Balvar 6-24's. They fit onto the standard male dovetail blocks that are used by Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, et al. The windage and elevation adjustments are in large rings that are around the scope. IMO these were the cadillac of varmint scopes and target scopes in the 1950's and 1960's. One problem I had was the adjustment rings becoming stiff. I assume that was from drying lubricant inside them. I never learned how to disassemble and lubricate the adjustment rings. The spring on the scope is to bring the scope back into battery after recoil. Without the spring one has to pull the scope back into battery by hand. The scope is designed to slide in the mounts when the rifle recoils. The spring has NOTHING to do with absorbing shock. Since misinformation concerning the purpose of this spring on target scopes surfaces from time on the forums, I will repeat. The spring has NOTHING to do with absorbing shock. Value of the scope, if like new in the box would be in excess of $500.

Edited by - Herschel on 10/15/2006 3:12:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

jbw1776
Advanced Member

2526 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2006 :  12:00:01 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the info everyone. The guys asking a little under $300 for it.

Ben

Go to Top of Page

JudgeColt

2381 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:01:46 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Herschel. These scopes are some of the finest ever made. They are also very collectable, especially in the original box. They are also guaranteed for life. Mine had some mold inside on the lenses and I sent it somewhere out east 20 years ago and it was cleaned at no charge. It has never molded again. (It was new in its box and had been stored in a damp environment.)

I have mine on a 1950s Winchester Model 70 Varmint .220 Swift and it makes a period correct package that is also very functional.
Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37198 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  11:42:43 AM  Show Profile
They are collectable indeed, BUT for the same dollars you can buy much better optics with far better coatings new than anything built at any price 25 years ago. So, if you are a collector and kinda young, go for it. If you are buying for shooting, you can do much, much better for the same money.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

jbw1776
Advanced Member

2526 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:20:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

They are collectable indeed, BUT for the same dollars you can buy much better optics with far better coatings new than anything built at any price 25 years ago. So, if you are a collector and kinda young, go for it. If you are buying for shooting, you can do much, much better for the same money.

I was thinking strictly for resell. He's asking a little under $300 for it but I'm just wondering how much more it would actually bring. I can't find any comparable auctions to encourage me, if you will. The only similar one I can find ended on Fleybay, without mount and box and rating at about 85% only brought $250-275.

Again, thanks for all the help/replies.

Ben

Go to Top of Page

He Dog
Advanced Member

Australia
37198 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  12:51:54 PM  Show Profile
You are buying at full retail. You are going to have to hold it a while to realize a noticable profit. There are collectors, but not millions of them.

The average response time for a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.
Go to Top of Page

jbw1776
Advanced Member

2526 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  1:14:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by He Dog

You are buying at full retail. You are going to have to hold it a while to realize a noticable profit. There are collectors, but not millions of them.

Thats the info I was looking for, thanks HeDog!

Ben

Go to Top of Page

Herschel

2019 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  5:37:21 PM  Show Profile
FWIW, I sold one that was like new in the original box about three years ago. I got $400 for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
GunBroker.com Message Forums © 1999-2014 GB Investments, Inc. All Rights Reserved Go To Top Of Page